Vinyl half doors

Danarch

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
When I had my YJ I had a set of vinyl / fabric half doors and loved them. Does anyone know of manufacturers besides Bestop? I am sure they are great just not sure I want to spend $300 for a set.

Thank you for checking. It isn’t bad but for a little over $200 could just order metal half doors with side view mirrors on Amazon and have decent luck. The wife has some for her JKU and they have held up well, so far. I’ll have to think about. I haven’t been happy with any aftermarket side view mirrors, they all seem to come loose and don’t stay adjusted. .

Reactions: BillW
Thank you for checking. It isn’t bad but for a little over $200 could just order metal half doors with side view mirrors on Amazon and have decent luck. The wife has some for her JKU and they have held up well, so far. I’ll have to think about. I haven’t been happy with any aftermarket side view mirrors, they all seem to come loose and don’t stay adjusted. .

As far as mirrors and the mounting, when I have the metal half doors or no doors on my TJ, I have a mount on the windshield post that I mount the stock mirror on. I forget the manufacturer, and where I bought them, but there are many on the market.

Untitled a.jpg

Reactions: Danarch and JMT
As far as mirrors and the mounting, when I have the metal half doors or no doors on my TJ, I have a mount on the windshield post that I mount the stock mirror on. I forget the manufacturer, and where I bought them, but there are many on the market.

View attachment 510461

I assume you have to remove the mirrors when you have the regular doors on and use the oem mirrors on the doors?

I assume you have to remove the mirrors when you have the regular doors on and use the oem mirrors on the doors?

Correct, but it is one nut that you loosen to take the mirror off the stock mount and then just move it to the new mount. Takes longer to adjust the mirrors so you can use them, that it does to move them. I left the driver's mirror on the windshield post this last fall when I changed to the full doors. The only problem is that the window frame will hit the mirror and knock it out of adjustment if the door restraining strap is not shortened up enough so it wont hit.

Reactions: Danarch
I picked up the Bestop full vinyl doors (separate uppers and lowers) for $100 on marketplace. They are very convenient for unpredictable weather.

I picked up the Bestop full vinyl doors (separate uppers and lowers) for $100 on marketplace. They are very convenient for unpredictable weather.

That is what I liked about them. I had a bikini top and the half doors and could run into September/ October if I wanted.

Reactions: Shank
This year, I think I am changing my mode of operation concerning the top I run. According to the serial number, it came with a canvas top (probably a full one) and metal half doors I bought a Bimini Top 2 years ago when I bought the TJ, because it had the hard top and full doors on it that one of the previous owners had put on it. ( I have no idea what happened to the top halves, but I do have the lower parts). That summer, My best friend, Steve, gave me the plastic frames for the canvas upper doors Last summer I bought a Windstopper (love it.) This past winter, I bought canvas upper half doors, I think when I put all the pieces together, I will be able to go just about anywhere and not have to worry about weather. And I am going to see how far into fall I can go this year with out putting the hard top back on.

Reactions: Danarch

Do they fit well? I picked up a new set and am having a heck of a time getting them adjusted. The lowers fit great and close well. As soon as I add the upper the geometry for the whole door is off and they get extremely tight to close and and very difficult to open too.

Do they fit well? I picked up a new set and am having a heck of a time getting them adjusted. The lowers fit great and close well. As soon as I add the upper the geometry for the whole door is off and they get extremely tight to close and and very difficult to open too.

It's not phenomenal - I have tried to rack them some. One side fits well on the hard top, the other sits outside the channel/grove.

It's not phenomenal - I have tried to rack them some. One side fits well on the hard top, the other sits outside the channel/grove.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to wait for a good warm day and see if I can try to adjust them a little more to improve the fit.