VW TDI Diesel Sahara

I just remember doing some research when I was doing my swap and I think it's Zinc that can be nasty. Copper, brass, AL, most stuff doesn't have any issues with diesel, which is mostly a light oil that has pretty low volatility.

Yeah I have a sump for my truck and yes it's a clearance issue on a Jeep, but I'd like to see it integrated one day just cuz. I'm always paranoid I'm gonna be hand priming my Jeep one day on the side of the road or in the field when I push the fuel too low. I have 24.5 gal tank and I've never even used 21 gal yet, because I'm paranoid of running too low. At about 19 gal my sender registers 0% fuel. Maybe I just need to carry 5 gal on hand and just wait until I hit it right and maybe start having some hesitation and then immediately shut it off, add the 5 gal and then go fill up.

The 4.0 motor mounts were cut off the frame and re-welded up front. I made a simple steel bar that spans across the jeep frame and bolts to the VW aluminum front engine bracket. I also added a steel bracket that bolts to the side of the engine. All of this can be removed in about 15mins for access to the timing belt. I plan to redo the steel bar and pretty it up.
20190714_123724.jpg

Did you just re-use a TDI intercooler? I was just wondering about the tubing going from passenger side to the driver's side.

How's the firewall clearance?

There's a guy local to me that did this swap, and he has nothing but praise for it. He also did work on the engine, and I believe he said it's a stage 2 setup.

I know I loved the 2002 diesel Jetta we had, and would love to eventually do that swap to my Jeep as well. That or an LS. ;)

A couple more details:

The aluminum radiator is out of a early 2000's Honda civic, it is small but I wanted something narrow enough that allowed an intercooler to be mounted right beside it. It also allows the engine to warm up quicker in the winter time. I don't have a cooling fan at all and it never goes over 85 deg C on the gauge.

The intercooler is from a Audi A4 I believe , again it is small but so is the factory VW one and they are tucked in the fender well. The Jetta TDI intercooler has some funky angled pipe outlets that I did not want to contend with.

Firewall clearance is tight, about 3/4" between the vacuum pump and firewall. I can still get to everything so it is really a non issue.

What width did you go with for your adapter? I think I saw guys adding some inches here to add some daylight.

Did you go with AL for the adapter?

Did you accommodate for a 4.0 Clutch and bearings?

I desperately tried to buy a TDI swapped stretched YJ (I think) about 6 years and told the guy I'd take it before I even saw it, but it was already spoken for from a guy that was heading out to look at it. In fact I just took my money and went and bought a my current TJ now.

If my wife wouldn't kill me, I'd probably have a Jeep with a 4BT, one with a Kubota, TDI and an electric motor powered Jeep. Well maybe not just Jeeps, maybe mix it up with small trucks, or 4x4 vans or something.

• Haha
Reactions: RustyAutoholicGuy
How'd you get the starter to engage the flywheel? Which starter are you using?

I would still want the 2.8, but I would just like to have a toy that screamed diesel like the 4BT. It just seems like it would be fun in something like a Brute and my impression is that it would be kinda loud and obnoxious, though I've been around multiple of these in different industrial settings and one was super well mannered and it was run indoors with all the emissions stuff I've ever heard of attached and the other was part of a generator and fairly obnoxious, but it was to run some type of concrete cutting equipment, which was worse.

Awesome, this is very high on my to do list.
Gas in New Zealand is horribly expensive, diesel is cheaper so combine that with the huge efficiency its win win. Later model diesel VAG cars are quie common here too. In reality I'm more likely to end up with a 2.0l 8v or 16v PD engine, a BMR (168 bhp, 258 lbf⋅ft) before any tuning is quite appealing!

I'm sure you've seen, but the TDI swapped trucks group on FaceBook is a great source of info, plenty of swapped tacomas and rangers, plenty of swapped XJs, and a few TJs in and amongst.

I looked at the OM617, but it just seemed too large for the output. Since it's mechanical, there's a lot of simplicity to the swap. You probably want to modify the oil pan and I want to say the oil pickup may be in a bad place for something going up steep hills. But besides that it's just some brackets, linkages and an adapter here and there. I don't remember about the dash stuff, but I think it's just your normal issues.

These engines are still cheap, because they still run, plentiful and not as large of a benefit as many other options.

At one time there was a place that would do these for you for about $6k.

I tended to stay away from any of the engines that seemed to require a lot of electrical integration. The TDIs seemed like there was a bunch of support. I even looked at the sprinter engine a bit, but like many other diesel engines, the lack of adapters and electrical integration worried me.

I even asked DieselToys about a swap to one of the Toyota engines, but they never responded. They used to have poopoo on the ISF2.8 and R2.8, so since there was little information out there I tried to pursue other options, but just couldn't find much information, especially being someone from the US, where we don't get the good stuff and have to build it ourselves. Luckily OEM pricing is so insane right now that building a vehicle is incredibly cheap vs buying new. I could rebuild my truck a few times to get to what guys are spending on the equivalent new truck. And our new trucks at work are in the shop way more than mine. The Jeep will be a different story, but the only reason I would trade my rig for a brand new one, is so I could sell that rig and get build my rig again with money left over.

I've been looking into the TDI swap to replace my 2.5 and came across the TDI conversion and really find this to be an interesting option. Found this video by Cody that demonstrates their setup.