VW TDI Diesel Sahara

I have seen there kits too. I think that they are rather expensive and I am not sure how compatible they are with the ALH TDI.

They are offering an upgraded 1.9 with their package rated at 150 HP and 269 # torque which is interesting and the pricing with their engine does not seem to over the top considering the time and cost to track down parts. Just running this thru my mind at this time and since my 99 is not a DD I like the idea. Since I just finished the frame swap and everything is pristeen it would be good timing along with my plan to strip her down (front end) for paint next fall.

They are offering an upgraded 1.9 with their package rated at 150 HP and 269 # torque which is interesting and the pricing with their engine does not seem to over the top considering the time and cost to track down parts. Just running this thru my mind at this time and since my 99 is not a DD I like the idea.

What are they quoting you for the upgraded engine and associated conversions parts?

What are they quoting you for the upgraded engine and associated conversions parts?

They are advertising in the 5K range for a complete package including the interface which I don't think is crazy, and I'm close enough to do a pickup instead of shipping. I like the idea of having the engine fresh rather then pulling one with the fingers crossed.

They are advertising in the 5K range for a complete package including the interface which I don't think is crazy, and I'm close enough to do a pickup instead of shipping. I like the idea of having the engine fresh rather then pulling one with the fingers crossed.

That's not too bad. I remember they wanted over 2k for just the bellhousing adapter and starter a couple years ago. I am considering Canadian funds.

I even looked at the sprinter engine

That's always been my dream small diesel. The 2008 Grand Cherokee with the Sprinter 3.0 in CRD.

I did a great deal of research when I was seriously considering a swap years ago. The TDI, the 4BT, the R2.8, even a Sprinter swap. I'm my research, the cost of figuring out your fuel tank, instrument cluster, other electronics, and making sure it was California smog compliant was too much trouble. At least it was for me. You managed to use the same gauge cluster with your TDI swap? I've read that this was one of the biggest pain points on early swaps. I'm a bit out of the loop if they make a kit these days.

Reactions: Ephry73
That's always been my dream small diesel. The 2008 Grand Cherokee with the Sprinter 3.0 in CRD.

I did a great deal of research when I was seriously considering a swap years ago. The TDI, the 4BT, the R2.8, even a Sprinter swap. I'm my research, the cost of figuring out your fuel tank, instrument cluster, other electronics, and making sure it was California smog compliant was too much trouble. At least it was for me. You managed to use the same gauge cluster with your TDI swap? I've read that this was one of the biggest pain points on early swaps. I'm a bit out of the loop if they make a kit these days.

The Mercedes CRD 3.0 diesel is nice, but overall very complicated in every aspect. I have quite a bit of experience fixing these jeeps and considering everything I would opt for the HEMI engine instead of the mercedes.

Yes I am using the original TJ gauge cluster and it really didn't require much work or ingenuity to do so. Basically you just move the Jeep gauge senders over to the diesel engine. The speedometer runs off of the transmission/transferase and really doesn't care what's under the hood. I don't have the Tach working properly yet, but I can make it work by temporarily grounding the cam sensor wire to simulate the engine running.

Reactions: Chris
Very cool, I've been hunting a TDI for a few months now. I need (want) a daily driver for work, truck/jeep is too expensive to keep putting fuel in every week. The intention was once ready to finally dump some coin into the jeep, I'll swap the TDI and part-out/scrap the vehicle. It's good to see it wasn't as costly as some of the kits make it seem.
Truth is, I'd probably just replace the 4.0 with a 4.6 stroker, but the TDI has been on my list for a while now.

The Mercedes CRD 3.0 diesel is nice, but overall very complicated in every aspect. I have quite a bit of experience fixing these jeeps and considering everything I would opt for the HEMI engine instead of the mercedes.

Yes I am using the original TJ gauge cluster and it really didn't require much work or ingenuity to do so. Basically you just move the Jeep gauge senders over to the diesel engine. The speedometer runs off of the transmission/transferase and really doesn't care what's under the hood. I don't have the Tach working properly yet, but I can make it work by temporarily grounding the cam sensor wire to simulate the engine running.

To be honest, I know very little about diesel engines. I've read that the Sprinters are tried and true, though. Doesn't surprise me that they are complex; especially compared to, say, a 4BT. Twice the HP, though. Any European car manufacturer tends to over-engineer IMO. Having owned an Audi, I can tell you that I won't buy another.

Lots of good info here. Extra HP/turbo = beefing up the peripherals. Etc. One thing that the 4BT guys should also consider is the added weight and size of those engines. As I understand it, you need a 4.5" lift just to keep the engine from dragging. :LOL:

Thank you so much @zebra12 somehow I was late to this party!!!

If my wife wouldn't kill me, I'd probably have a Jeep with a 4BT, one with a Kubota, TDI and an electric motor powered Jeep. Well maybe not just Jeeps, maybe mix it up with small trucks, or 4x4 vans or something.

I'm in the same boat! I think my wife has finally figured out that my LJ Rubicon is getting swapped to something else eventually and she's not too thrilled about it LOL!

I estimate I am about $2500 into this.

You just beat my on cost for you swap, though admittedly I went kind of crazy on what I was doing on my swap, the doubler added so much time and cost that I wasn't expecting! If I hadn't gone with the doubler I could have used the original shifter and transfer case shifter as well!

At the time when I was looking at doing a TDI swap the only thing I could find was the Coty Built stuff which is super nice being plug-in-play but the kit I think was $6000 without the engine and I just couldn't afford that, though I'm probably close to that cost now anyway . . .

I'm going to keep that gas to diesel adapter link that you posted, that is AMAZING! I might have to look into doing that swap onto a YJ actually. $2500 is really not all that much when you think about it and the fuel economy fantastic!

Thank you so much for posting all the information you did! I need to re-read this thread again and I'm sorry I missed it originally, I hate being 3 months late to a thread but it looks like @DieselJeep asked most of the questions I was going to ask about the swap!

-Grant

Just FYI. About 7 years ago, I tried to buy an unfinished tj with TDI for $6k and it was going to be an ordeal to even get it from TX and it was gone quick. I see R2.8 TJs and trucks around $15k to $20k.

Running and integrated properly, it depends on who is buying obviously.

Hard to put a value here. Any buyer would have to know what they're getting and be willing to shell out the cash. A very nice accomplishment though!

Man I'm really close, I think, to starting a TDI swap into my YJ. The wife just wants a couple of the junk cars out of the front of our yard, which means I have a couple things to fix first, but in a month or 2 I should be able to start picking up components. I am leaning for maybe the BEW or something. I need to look at some torque curves first, because 170 hp at 2,500+ RPMs isn't worth the additional effort or cost for an install.

Just an update. The Jeep is running well and I just finished re-furbishing a hardtop for winter time use.

My plan over the winter is to finish the smaller details of this swap and potentially sell next spring.

What do you guys think this Jeep is worth?

Hard to say. How is the frame? Got any good photos of it as it sits lately?

I would say the frame is average for the geographical location and year of vehicle, it is solid but has some surface rust which I will be addressing because I don't like it. I will take some new photos once it is out of the garage. Right now I am updating the motor mounts to help with vibration.

Reactions: BugoutJeep
Man I'm really close, I think, to starting a TDI swap into my YJ. The wife just wants a couple of the junk cars out of the front of our yard, which means I have a couple things to fix first, but in a month or 2 I should be able to start picking up components. I am leaning for maybe the BEW or something. I need to look at some torque curves first, because 170 hp at 2,500+ RPMs isn't worth the additional effort or cost for an install.
Just my perspective from dealing with previous modified diesels, I would not swap a TDI with the intention of gaining "much" power over the 4.2/4.0 engine. You will likely spend a ton of money on parts and chase down the next weak link of engine and drivetrain components and fixing forever. These engines are great for mileage, simplicity and long term reliability if you leave them relatively stock. People will argue with me about this, but you have to consider long term when going through the effort of swapping engines. How long is something going to last running at 100% load and demand. Just something to think about.