Walmart self checkout?

..and retards include the cashier that somehow manages to do the job slower than I can in self-checkout, and the inevitable dope in line in front of me that just can't figure out how to work his/her credit card, or has some fucking problem with something that jams up the entire operation....

Don't forget the PHOOOOOONNE!! Twats with smartphones are the cause of holdups more often than not. Paying with the damn thing which takes longer than just plugging a card into the slot - and that's if they know what they're doing and get it done - usually they don't have the thing prepped, or worse: the damn thing just died from a flat battery and they don't have a fucking card to at least back it up. Never mind the idiots that can't put the idiot thing down long enough to take care of business in the 1st place, but are off in Narnia somewhere whatsupping their mistress or some damn thing.

But I find self checkout to be a pain in the ass in general, and don't use it unless I only have an item or two and there's a self checkout immediately available AND the checker lines are backed up. In general, I'd rather wait longer in a checker line than do self - within reason. I particularly hate Home Depot's self-checkout: "THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING AT THE HOME DEPOT!!!!!!!!!" - who designed this crap?

I wonder how long we have until big chains like Kroger and Walmart go after the Amazon model and abandon brick and motor stores and go all-internet, all-delivery.

I don't think they will abandon brick-and-mortar, but Walmart already seems to be adopting some of the amazon model. They allow for outside sellers on the Walmart site, like the 'zon does. On the flip side, I think I recently read that amazon had abandoned their attempt at brick-and-mortar, so that's indicating something.

They allow for outside sellers on the Walmart site, like the 'zon does.

yeah, I HATE that. If I'm going to walmarts website, I'm looking for stuff because I need it TODAY. If I'm ok waiting for delivery I would have gone to Amazon first...They've addressed it at least by adding search filters for "in store" and fulfillment speed but when they first brought in outside vendors and wouldn't let me filter them out, I was seeing red.

yeah, I HATE that. If I'm going to walmarts website, I'm looking for stuff because I need it TODAY. If I'm ok waiting for delivery I would have gone to Amazon first...

I like it simply because it's competition for Amazon. I use Amazon and Walmart online for general work supplies, so I'm fine waiting a day or two, and I’ve found better prices at Walmart enough to shop there too. Now and then I'll find Walmart with a steep discount over Amazon.

"If I have to pay to buy a product at any store I will never shop at that store chain ever again," wrote one on X recently.

I bet this person quoted has Amazon Prime….

And/or isnt near civilization where a Walmart is
Faux outrage and virtue signaling norm

Here's something wild to me - I can get Kroger delivered to my doorstep, but there's not a single Kroger or Kroger subsidiary grocery store in the state of Oklahoma. I wonder how long we have until big chains like Kroger and Walmart go after the Amazon model and abandon brick and motor stores and go all-internet, all-delivery.

Wont happen
People need groceries and thats why Amazon Fresh started a brick n mortar chain.
We learned early on that canned/boxed/dairy goods are fine with the pickup services, but meats, produce and fruit are not. The pickers always just pick whatever is on top, and that always seems to be the worst of the bunch.

Yep
Lowest paid, not the brightest (obviously or they wouldnt be at Walmart) puttin their dick beaters on your groceries and selecting them for you. But hey, different strokes for different folks I guess

This is the fallout remnants of the COVIDiocy

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueC
I’d gladly pay the money if they gave me a key to all the locked up display cases. I can’t by socks or bicycle tires without spending 1/2 hr trying to find someone with a key. Fucking homeless steal everything because they know nothing will be done to them. My local Lowes has several homeless who come in every day to steal and the employees are powerless and will get fired if they do anything.

• Wow
Reactions: srimes and Zorba
I’d gladly pay the money if they gave me a key to all the locked up display cases. I can’t by socks or bicycle tires without spending 1/2 hr trying to find someone with a key. Fucking homeless steal everything because they know nothing will be done to them. My local Lowes has several homeless who come in every day to steal and the employees are powerless and will get fired if they do anything.

It all started with Prop 47.

Reactions: srimes

The locked up stuff is one of the top reasons we won't shop at Walmart unless we just have to. They even have the spray paint locked up at my local store. :rolleyes:

When I worked for a big box store years ago, corporate basically told us to wave bye-bye and say "have a nice day" to shoplifters. :rolleyes: There was/is a gov housing project behind the store I worked at. Shoplifting was so common they had worn a footpath through the grass and trees separating the store and projects. The local cops called it "Larceny Lane". When called, they'd just go to the projects and wait for someone to pop out. :LOL: I watched one guy walk in, grab a cart and ~$400 pressure washer, then he wheeled it over to customer service demanding his money back. They refused, so he pushed it out the door and off he went.

Here's something wild to me - I can get Kroger delivered to my doorstep, but there's not a single Kroger or Kroger subsidiary grocery store in the state of Oklahoma. I wonder how long we have until big chains like Kroger and Walmart go after the Amazon model and abandon brick and motor stores and go all-internet, all-delivery.

Wow! Wind up the way-back machine, Mr. Peabody. Back in 1955 my Mom would call the grocery store and tell them what she needed. About two hours later a college kid would knock on the door and say, "Here are your groceries!" Of course, back in that day, you got your meat at the butcher shop and your veg and fruit at the green grocer. My Mom would not let anyone else pick out her meat or veggies. And, it was dirt cheap.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Definitely not just homeless. We basically have zero homeless and Lowe's has to keep all the copper wire in a cage and walk you to the register with it.

People will travel, but it's also corporate policies being broadly applied.

Don't forget the PHOOOOOONNE!! Twats with smartphones are the cause of holdups more often than not. Paying with the damn thing which takes longer than just plugging a card into the slot - and that's if they know what they're doing and get it done - usually they don't have the thing prepped, or worse: the damn thing just died from a flat battery and they don't have a fucking card to at least back it up. Never mind the idiots that can't put the idiot thing down long enough to take care of business in the 1st place, but are off in Narnia somewhere whatsupping their mistress or some damn thing.

But I find self checkout to be a pain in the ass in general, and don't use it unless I only have an item or two and there's a self checkout immediately available AND the checker lines are backed up. In general, I'd rather wait longer in a checker line than do self - within reason. I particularly hate Home Depot's self-checkout: "THANK YOU FOR SHOPPING AT THE HOME DEPOT!!!!!!!!!" - who designed this crap?

Zorb, no mistresses in Narnia and no self-checkouts, either.
When I have to go to HD or Lowes, I get in the self-checkout line and go to the one that's not working. About 90% of the time I can fix it and they always give me another 10% discount on top of my Vet's 10% for doing so. I look at it as a public service.
The people that designed and built those things used a process called "brute force" or "straight path" engineering and development. That process says the user will always follow instructions and never do anything outside of the proper sequence. Ha Ha! Most of the time, the thing is just confused or waiting for someone to push the correct button.

Back in the mid 70s while in college I worked at a regional department store in a small town in Wisconsin. I worked the night shift which the shoplifters preferred because the store was empty. We had a catwalk around the store with 2 way mirrors to watch for them. When we spotted one we would shoot them with a BB gun from behind the walls. They never knew where it came from and quickly left the store. Try doing that today.

Back in the mid 70s while in college I worked at a regional department store in a small town in Wisconsin. I worked the night shift which the shoplifters preferred because the store was empty. We had a catwalk around the store with 2 way mirrors to watch for them. When we spotted one we would shoot them with a BB gun from behind the walls. They never knew where it came from and quickly left the store. Try doing that today.

"What BB gun?"

"What BB gun?"

I do not remember but it was one we pulled from the shelf. It was not powerful enough nor accurate ti injure them but they got the message. I was in charge if sporting goods including the guns. The store was opened back in the 50s and I received guns that were on order for yrs. Also because we sold guns for so many guns for so many years the manufacturers would send us their Special Edition pistols. I had a list of gun collectors and would hold the guns until I notified them. I made good money from their tips. I wish I bought some myself. I only bought an Ithaca Featherlight shotgun which I still have. When you’re young you’re too dumb to know what you have.

Reactions: Zorba
Exactly my thinking, we have been burned before. @Apparition you would let them pick your whole packer brisket for the MAK?

No, I haven't done the curbside stuff, I send the wife.

One of my coworkers does. He generally has the same couple of people that get his groceries and they know what he wants and doesn't.

He got the close to expiring milk once early on and they rectified it and now get the freshest they can as they are all on a first name basis.