Wandering steering

sjsjeep

Hi new to the Jeep world, I know this has probably been covered a hundred times, but looking for help with my 2004 tj, steers all over the road when driving on rough roads. Jeep has 33 inch tires 2 in rough country suspension lift. The track bar is adjustable and has a 2” drop bracket on the driver side frame. Do I need a 2” pitman drop arm because it is a stock one that I currently have. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Steve.

NO dropped pitman arm what so ever.
Check your wheel alignment, tire pressure, make sure NOTHING is worn out.
There’s a lot going on up front on a TJ.

Reactions: mikespine
Remove the the track bar drop bracket and keep the stock Pitman arm. That will correct your bump steer issue, which is what you're experiencing now, and it is almost certainly due to the incorrect geometry you having going on due to the dropped track bar.

I'd make sure to have your toe-in set after all this is done as well.

Take a good sharp well-lit (use a flash) photo of the driver's side track bar mount from the driver's side and post it here for us to see. I really doubt that mount has been dropped 2", I'm thinking it's more likely stock with only a 2" suspension lift. I seriously doubt anyone would have dropped that mount 2" with a 2" suspension lift. With it likely being stock, you definitely do not want a dropped Pitman arm.

Also, a 2" suspension lift is not enough for 33" tires... the tires will rub when offroad and they likely rub now just going over bumps/dips in the road. The usual recommendation for extra clearance for a TJ running 33" tires is 4" which is typically done with a 3" suspension lift plus a 1" body lift. I'd at least add a 1" to 1.25" body lift but nothing taller than that.

Finally, the usual causes of wandering steering is a bad front-end alignment. Most likely improper toe-in, possibly overinflated tires. Exactly what air pressure is in your 33" tires? If they're over 28 psi, as they most likely are, that will contribute to unstable steering. For 33's, 26 psi is appropriate when the Jeep is lightly loaded, 28 psi is appropriate when it is fully loaded with people and/or gear. Most tire shops cluelessly overinflate tires. Know too that the tire pressure molded onto an automotive tire's sidewall is only its maximum safe air pressure to only be used if the tire was forced to carry its max safe weight which is never the case. It is NEVER the correct pressure to inflate them to.

I had some steering problems earlier and thanks to everybody on here I got it fixed. I actually had everything already mentioned. Dropped pitman arm, poor alignment and toe in, and overinflated tires.
Plus when I got rid of the dropped pitman arm I found that the tie rod it went into was shot so I replaced that. All that wrong and it's easy to see why my steering was out of control. But it is all fixed now and the difference is night and day! Feels like a new ride

Thanks for all the ideas, I do have a 1 inch body lift as well, I will check the toe in and lower the pressure, I’m running about 30 psi. Sorry but I don’t have any pictures of the suspension, she is up at the cottage, next time I’m up I wil check alignment tore pressure and send pictures if she still wants to wander. Once again thanks for input.
Steve.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford