Want thoughts on this JK for possible purchase

colby0805

I know this is a TJ forum and that is what I have every intent to look for, however, went to look at this JK 4 door tonight. Gotta say the wife and kids after tonight would like to go the 4 door route. I'm not against it but wanted some opinions. More pics to coming. Making sure this works.
IMG_0710.JPG
IMG_0712.JPG

Guess I could've given specifics, its a 2011 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara. They are asking $18,799 for it. My main initial concerns were no spare or spare bracket. It also needs new tires. It has a Skyjacker lift on it as well.

Wouldn't touch that turd with a 35 foot pole.

It's a 2011 which means it has the shitty 3.8 minivan engine which is prone to all sorts of problems (namely burning oil and being underpowered as hell).

In addition, those fenders are just about the ugliest thing I've ever seen (just an opinion of course). That Skyjacker lift is pretty much trash as well.

But still... stay away from the 3.8. Don't buy a JK older than 2012 (which has the newer, better, 3.6 engine).

It's a 2011 which means it has the shitty 3.8 minivan engine which is prone to all sorts of problems (namely burning oil and being underpowered as hell).

In addition, those fenders are just about the ugliest thing I've ever seen (just an opinion of course). That Skyjacker lift is pretty much trash as well.

But still... stay away from the 3.8. Don't buy a JK older than 2012 (which has the newer, better, 3.6 engine).
So other than that, you like it then ??? lol :risas3:

Chris,

Lol, don't hold back man, please tell me what you think!
Seriously, that's what I want, opinions on what is good and what isn't and if I'm looking at the right things.
Although, my wife and son liked the fenders. I'm still not sure about them. Seems like to much was exposed.
I wasn't thrilled about the lift. Heard to many of you talking about that. I wasn't aware of the engine difference, again, that's why I'm posting.

I've got thick skin, not offended at all by the comment. Especially the hideous fenders! Lol.

The more pics you show us the more we think you should back away...slowly.
I think you have already answered your own question.

Kiwi,
I pretty much was thinking it would be a pass unless they just blew my doors off with price but at 18,799 I doubt if that happens. They would have to come down to like 14k to even get me going with issues that I saw with the leaks, tires need to be replaced and no spare or bracket. Now that Chris mentioned the engine issues with pre 2012, I'm pretty much done with this one. Still want to know if I'm looking at the right things. There was actually no rust on the frame. I crawled under it and went along the whole thing front to back and where each mount was and no rust. The only rust I found inside the frame was surface inside the rear right. Getting ready to post those pics.

Chris,

Lol, don't hold back man, please tell me what you think!
Seriously, that's what I want, opinions on what is good and what isn't and if I'm looking at the right things.
Although, my wife and son liked the fenders. I'm still not sure about them. Seems like to much was exposed.
I wasn't thrilled about the lift. Heard to many of you talking about that. I wasn't aware of the engine difference, again, that's why I'm posting.

I've got thick skin, not offended at all by the comment. Especially the hideous fenders! Lol.

Oh yeah, the fenders is just an opinion of course. Some people might like those, I just think they look awful. But that's just cosmetic. The thing that concerns me with JKs is that the 3.8 engine they used from 2007-2011 is pretty much regarded as a horrible engine. It's underpowered, it burns oil, and I seem to read a lot of stories about them failing. They eventually switched to the 3.6 Pentastar engine in 2012, which is a far better engine. Anyone who has driven both the 3.8 and 3.6 back-to-back will agree that the 3.6 is much better.

Rust inside the frame. This was Right rear. The only spot I could find on the inside. I checked every hole my fingers would fit inside of up both sides of the frame from front to rear. Also no rust on frame around the mounts either. I was kind of surprised. Car fax showed three previous owners starting in Illinois, then Virginia, and now KY. Second pic wasn't the greatest. Other pics are inside the wheel well on the body. Looks like they sprayed it to cover it up which made me look harder at the frame but frame looked good overall.
IMG_0699.JPG
IMG_0708.JPG
IMG_0699.JPG
IMG_0708.JPG
IMG_0700.JPG
IMG_0701.JPG

Oh yeah, the fenders is just an opinion of course. Some people might like those, I just think they look awful. But that's just cosmetic. The thing that concerns me with JKs is that the 3.8 engine they used from 2007-2011 is pretty much regarded as a horrible engine. It's underpowered, it burns oil, and I seem to read a lot of stories about them failing. They eventually switched to the 3.6 Pentastar engine in 2012, which is a far better engine. Anyone who has driven both the 3.8 and 3.6 back-to-back will agree that the 3.6 is much better.
Thank you for that information. That will definitely change the way I approach this search in the future. Wife and son really like the four door. Of course it is my Jeep but the son will be driving mostly since I have a "company" car for to and from work. I would only drive it on the weekends or as needed.

Thank you for that information. That will definitely change the way I approach this search in the future. Wife and son really like the four door. Of course it is my Jeep but the son will be driving mostly since I have a "company" car for to and from work. I would only drive it on the weekends or as needed.

I hear you. I would look for 2012+ models, just be aware that the 2012 models had cylinder head issues on some (not all) of them. The power improvement of the 3.6 versus the 3.8 is very noticeable as well. I've driven both and the 3.6 is a must IMHO.

At the end of the day it’s ur money but the 3.8 would be a deal breaker for me, I did think about the 4 doors because I have 2 kids in car seats and wanted to make life simple but at the end of the day I would rather deal with the pain of getting them in and out of my LJ vs dealing with possible motor problems. There is one thing almost everyone on here has in common and that’s the love for the 4.0...

Check this out though! I found this today but when I called about it they said it was sold. I was going and if it matched the pictures as garage kept I was buying!
https://www.bypassmotors.com/1998-Jeep-Wrangler/Used-SUV/Lawrenceburg-KY/12080167/Details.aspx

Reactions: Chris and Starrs
At the end of the day it’s ur money but the 3.8 would be a deal breaker for me, I did think about the 4 doors because I have 2 kids in car seats and wanted to make life simple but at the end of the day I would rather deal with the pain of getting them in and out of my LJ vs dealing with possible motor problems. There is one thing almost everyone on here has in common and that’s the love for the 4.0...

Yeah that's why I was initially going for the TJ. Check the post I just sent to Chris with link for 1998. If only I saw it in time.

That JK is a hard pass. Like others stated you don’t want to own any JK pre 2012. You can find better for sure just going on cargurus and autotrader and spending maybe an hour of your time.
That Sahara is awesome tho! My future in laws have a Black Sahara similar to that but not 19k miles! Wow it sold huh? I love the rubicons, but I suppose if I found the right Sahara like that I could live with it lol

X3 to the comments to avoid the 3.8 engine, it's a minivan engine. Get one new enough to have the much better/more powerful 3.6L.

Just one of the things that turned me off from any JK though is that it's too computerized. Yeah yeah year I know what you're thinking but even the headlights run off a databus, not normal wiring and a switch that makes for easy repairs. The JK is harder to work on and modify for sure.

Yeah that's why I was initially going for the TJ. Check the post I just sent to Chris with link for 1998. If only I saw it in time.

Wow very clean with low miles. I’m sure something will come your way might be a waiting game.