Wanted to share some thoughts and experiences now that the top is off (learning new things)

I've been running with the top & doors off since the beginning of June here in Central California. After the first week I ordered a mesh sunshade, just to keep from baking. Rain has NOT been an issue here! I think when winter finally does show up (if it does) I will put the top and doors back on & drive my Super Duty. It's just so much more fun to drive it wide open!

I've been running with the top & doors off since the beginning of June here in Central California. After the first week I ordered a mesh sunshade, just to keep from baking. Rain has NOT been an issue here! I think when winter finally does show up (if it does) I will put the top and doors back on & drive my Super Duty. It's just so much more fun to drive it wide open!
It is. I fold my mesh shade back when I can too, just lay it back and bungee it

I love my frameless Rampage top. Literally takes just a few minutes to remove or install the windows, easily swapping between safari top and full top. I also prefer the looks, especially on the LJ. Lot’s of folks like the Trektop NX for the same reason.

C2E8458B-8065-4289-B4FC-6C218801B5DF.jpeg

Love the look of the frameless Rampage top on the LJ!
Just getting into Jeeps and I never realized how many options for tops there are available... I live in Central Oregon where we get lots of sun so I can see where having a couple different options would be helpful.

Reactions: NashvilleTJ
I love my frameless Rampage top. Literally takes just a few minutes to remove or install the windows, easily swapping between safari top and full top. I also prefer the looks, especially on the LJ. Lot’s of folks like the Trektop NX for the same reason.

View attachment 269768
Nothing not to like in that pic.

Reactions: John Cooper

View attachment 269768
Just occured to me that top gives you the bikini top you want too, not that loose floppy junk.

Love the look of the frameless Rampage top on the LJ!
Just getting into Jeeps and I never realized how many options for tops there are available... I live in Central Oregon where we get lots of sun so I can see where having a couple different options would be helpful.
Looks like we have at least three things in common: The Jeep interest (obviously), I have a bunch of family in Oregon (my wife is from there), and judging from your avatar - a bike. Here is mine:

NE BDR 1011.JPG

I just returned from doing the Northeast BDR - my third after having done Colorado last summer, and the Mid Atlantic in 2018.

Put on this Alien Sunscreen for when the sun is too much. Only because I have had far too many sun damaged spots removed from my old ass😅

I bought the LJ version of the Alien shade, it extends well down the back, which is handy if you have kids in the back seat. Plus it was half the price of the TJ version. I love that you can leave it on with the hard top, too. I have an alien on my JKU too, they're fantastic.

Reactions: SPECWAR
Looks like we have at least three things in common: The Jeep interest (obviously), I have a bunch of family in Oregon (my wife is from there), and judging from your avatar - a bike. Here is mine:

I just returned from doing the Northeast BDR - my third after having done Colorado last summer, and the Mid Atlantic in 2018.
Nice looking 1190 Adventure!

I just sold a 17 1090 Adv R which I rode for four years and picked up the new 890 Adv R for use as my dual sport travel bike.

I am am jealous of your three BDR routes. My wife and I were planning to ride the Idaho BDR this September but we've now postponed it until next summer so we can ride earlier in the year in an effort to avoid the wildfires which have become the new normal in the West.

I will have to find a newer photo for my avatar that was taken a few years ago. 🍻

Nice looking 1190 Adventure!

I just sold a 17 1090 Adv R which I rode for four years and picked up the new 890 Adv R for use as my dual sport travel bike.

I am am jealous of your three BDR routes. My wife and I were planning to ride the Idaho BDR this September but we've now postponed it until next summer so we can ride earlier in the year in an effort to avoid the wildfires which have become the new normal in the West.

I will have to find a newer photo for my avatar that was taken a few years ago. 🍻
I'm actually looking at the 790 or 890 R, and also looking at the T-7. The trails I'm doing lately are a challenge on the big bike - but I love it on the street...

View attachment 269768

Same top for my TJ. When it got hot here in Phoenix, I sure hated putting the sides and rear back on.

This Jeep is my first open top vehicle also OP.

20201203_145843.jpg

View attachment 269857

I like to roll old school

Photo-020507-001.jpg

I didnt take my top off until a month or so ago. I got in on that alien shade deal for $18. So i put that on. But it was to short. My head hit it. So i bought longer bungees. And looped it up higher. Now my head fits.

Then i bought a $38 car cover off amazon. And i keep that on it. To protect it from the sun. As it rarely rains here. I spent to much time repairing sun damage. To leave my Jeep out to fry. Plus i lost the garage to workout equipment and general mayhem.

Driving around with the top off is the best part of owning a Jeep.

Screenshot_20210722-081540_Gallery.jpg

Reactions: John Cooper
I'm actually looking at the 790 or 890 R, and also looking at the T-7. The trails I'm doing lately are a challenge on the big bike - but I love it on the street...
I made a switch to the 890 after riding the 1090 for 10K and never 100% comfortable off road due to the mass of the bike and not being able to touch flat footed with both feet. The 1090 is an absolute blast on the road which is where I ended up spending most my time on it and using the EXC for my off highway fun.

Fast forward a few years and my wife got a '19 790 Adventure to replace her F650GS after 36K. I found the 790 Adv is a lot of fun both on and off road without all of the mass up high like on the 1x90's. She only let me ride the 790 a few times before suggesting I get my own. So after dragging my feet for a year I got the 890 Adv R in April. I was pleasantly surprised how much more torque and low end pull the 890 has compared to the 790. I'd read KTM had made improvements to the 890 motor but I didn't think it could be much until I rode the two bikes back to back. Now the wife's figured it out and is bugging me to gear her 790 down a tooth so it doesn't lug at the lower RPM's. I figured a new front sprocket is less expensive than an 890 so I didn't argue too much...

Can I play?!

Not a KTM or a dual-sport but... My before and after pics... Yes, I have a thing with pirates! 😜
Nice work on your rebuild, I think KX looks great! I would love to have a 250 two stroke. A buddy had a KX250 when I was younger which was a lot of fun to ride. I remember the KX would try to pull your arms out of the shoulders if you were brave enough to keep it pinned in the powerband.

I like to roll old school
Nice looking XR! It's tough to beat the Honda XR BRP once you figure out how to get them started. As long as you keep up on the basic maintenance they will run strong for a long time. I had a '00 XR 400 which drove me nuts until I figured out how the TDC starting procedure worked... I remember calling my brother to complain about not being able to get the 400 started after picking it up at the Dealer. I had kicked on it for what seemed like forever. First thing he asks is "have you checked the fuel?". o_O

Reactions: ParadoxD
I made a switch to the 890 after riding the 1090 for 10K and never 100% comfortable off road due to the mass of the bike and not being able to touch flat footed with both feet. The 1090 is an absolute blast on the road which is where I ended up spending most my time on it and using the EXC for my off highway fun.

Fast forward a few years and my wife got a '19 790 Adventure to replace her F650GS after 36K. I found the 790 Adv is a lot of fun both on and off road without all of the mass up high like on the 1x90's. She only let me ride the 790 a few times before suggesting I get my own. So after dragging my feet for a year I got the 890 Adv R in April. I was pleasantly surprised how much more torque and low end pull the 890 has compared to the 790. I'd read KTM had made improvements to the 890 motor but I didn't think it could be much until I rode the two bikes back to back. Now the wife's figured it out and is bugging me to gear her 790 down a tooth so it doesn't lug at the lower RPM's. I figured a new front sprocket is less expensive than an 890 so I didn't argue too much...

Nice work on your rebuild, I think KX looks great! I would love to have a 250 two stroke. A buddy had a KX250 when I was younger which was a lot of fun to ride. I remember the KX would try to pull your arms out of the shoulders if you were brave enough to keep it pinned in the powerband.

Nice looking XR! It's tough to beat the Honda XR BRP once you figure out how to get them started. As long as you keep up on the basic maintenance they will run strong for a long time. I had a '00 XR 400 which drove me nuts until I figured out how the TDC starting procedure worked... I remember calling my brother to complain about not being able to get the 400 started after picking it up at the Dealer. I had kicked on it for what seemed like forever. First thing he asks is "have you checked the fuel?". o_O
Your Avatar looks like you are on a 525 EXC.

I’ve been on or fell off of 250’s and 300’s for a long time.

Good posts.

22974E79-3238-4881-A004-731851A8D160.jpeg

Thanks! It's actually bored out to a 295 by the PO and yes, twisting the throttle more than 1/4 does its best to rip your arms off. 😅

Last edited:

Any electrical problems with the x90’s? I’ve read a lot of horror stories lately which is giving me pause on making the switch.