Wanting a CJ or should I keep the TJ?

Tray Burge

TJ Addict
I'm just about finished restoring my 97 TJ, good thing is it's all stock, stock height with all new components and zero rust, but...
I really love the model(s) CJ's.
I'm considering selling my TJ (once finished) and getting a CJ that's been completely updated/restored?
Looks like I can get one in 20-30k range here in Atlanta if I don't go too crazy in mods.
This 4banger has been so dependable, I hate to move on?
Question is, am I crazy for even considering it?
Run away as fast as I can or seek out a nice CJ and don't look back?
IMG_1262.JPG

I think it all depends what your doing with the jeep. If its a weekend driver the CJ would be a lot of fun, If its an every day driver the TJs are much more comfortable with the more modern comforts that come with them. I've had almost every model jeep from the 1940s to 2005. If I had room I'd keep one of each lol they are all fun and unique to drive in their own way.

By the way nice looking TJ

CJ's are cool but I like coil springs and fuel injection. They peaked with the TJ, in my opinion. All the technology that actually improves things, and none of it that makes things worse.

At most I could see swapping a CJ tub onto a TJ frame/engine. Don't know anything about what's involved with the body mounts, but at least the wheelbase should work out.

I think it all depends what your doing with the jeep. If its a weekend driver the CJ would be a lot of fun, If its an every day driver the TJs are much more comfortable with the more modern comforts that come with them. I've had almost every model jeep from the 1940s to 2005. If I had room I'd keep one of each lol they are all fun and unique to drive in their own way.

By the way nice looking TJ
This is my daily driver, however, I only drive about 30 miles a day to/from work total. My Jeep NEVER leaves the pavement either.
The "bouncier" ride would be expected, but mainly I'm concerned with "inherent" issues I might encounter with the CJ?
I'm considering the 304, but the inline 6 would be okay too, should I stay away from either one? Gas mileage is no concern.
Thank for the help!

CJs are cool but they really suck to drive further than like 10 miles or just putt around town at low speeds. On the highway forget it, they make a TJ seem like a sports car. It's just the nature of their suspension setup and center of gravity. Not to mention even the 304 V8 option made about 150hp, and the transmissions in them are more like shifting a tractor.

I'd love to own a CJ myself, but it would strictly be for fun on nice days to putt around locally, not for highway and certainly not daily driving.

CJs are cool but they really suck to drive further than like 10 miles or just putt around town at low speeds. On the highway forget it, they make a TJ seem like a sports car. It's just the nature of their suspension setup and center of gravity. Not to mention even the 304 V8 option made about 150hp, and the transmissions in them are more like shifting a tractor.

I'd love to own a CJ myself, but it would strictly be for fun on nice days to putt around locally, not for highway and certainly not daily driving.
Sorta like driving a car with 1950's suspension technology huh? lol
I get that, I never get over 45mph from home to work.
I'd never take it in the interstate either, unless I had to for some reason.
How are they mechanically wise? Pretty basic without too many issues, or, get your check book out?

If your paying 20 to 30k for one I wouldn't expect it to have any issues if its been fully restored. I have had 3 CJ7s around the 10 to 15K price range and no real major mechanical problems. The 4 speed I had popped out of 3rd when going down a hill but again if its been restored everything should have been inspected and replaced with new parts if worn out.

Very basic and easy to work on if something did stop working.

Reactions: Tray Burge
Sorta like driving a car with 1950's suspension technology huh? lol
I get that, I never get over 45mph from home to work.
I'd never take it in the interstate either, unless I had to for some reason.
How are they mechanically wise? Pretty basic without too many issues, or, get your check book out?
The newest CJ is 35 years old (CJ7), so the mechanical bits will depend on how it was maintained and/or who restored it. I've seen some really nice ones that have been gone through, but expect to pay lots of money for those. Some of the others you can tell they replaced a few hoses, some shocks, and sprayed it with paint. Mechanically they are simple, but most things that fail will be due to age and wear.

Like I said I love CJs but it's a completely different ball game to rely on one as a daily driver.

I think you will regret getting rid of your TJ. As cool as CJs are, I agree with the others and don’t think it would make the best daily driver. @freedom_in_4low said it best, TJs are the perfect mix of modern tech without any of the BS. TJs are also getting rarer with each passing year and definitely climbing the desirability ladder. Either way, good luck!

Well after some research and investigation I think I'll just keep the old TJ.
One thing that struck me curious was some people selling their restored or stock CJ's said they loved them, but was selling to get back into a TJ? Hmmm?
No one has ever disputed the TJ's being a better handling Jeep than the old CJ's...then there's deer to dodge where I live too?
Thanks for the help on this decision.

X2 to this. They really are terrible to drive even more than 10 minutes.

X2 to this. They really are terrible to drive even more than 10 minutes.

I aaalmost bought a Levi's edition CJ about 11 years ago, from a coworker. I rode in it with him to lunch one day and decided to pass, and went for my LJ. I still feel 100% confident in that choice.

Not the same one, but it looked just like this.
1611763011057.png

I aaalmost bought a Levi's edition CJ about 11 years ago, from a coworker. I rode in it with him to lunch one day and decided to pass, and went for my LJ. I still feel 100% confident in that choice.

View attachment 221449
They look so damn good when restored, they just drive like crap compared even to a TJ. It’s unfortunate but true.

They look so damn good when restored, they just drive like crap compared even to a TJ. It’s unfortunate but true.
Agreed.

Even if restored and in great shape, you just can't deny the design is so dated. Sure, fun to drive around town, but it gets physically exhausting to drive it for extended periods of time especially on the highway. Many of them have 3 speed transmissions and are geared low, so on 55+ mph roads the thing is screaming.

Agreed.

Even if restored and in great shape, you just can't deny the design is so dated. Sure, fun to drive around town, but it gets physically exhausting to drive it for extended periods of time especially on the highway. Many of them have 3 speed transmissions and are geared low, so on 55+ mph roads the thing is screaming.
And that’s saying a lot since even my TJ gets physically exhausting to drive around town!

View attachment 221449
Thanks Freedom, for rubbing it in! lol
They're so damn good looking restored and fixed up aren't they?
TBH, where I live, at night I literally have to keep an eye out for deer, a lot of deer.
Driving home last night I imagined if I had to swerve to avoid one?
I remembered watching my buddy back in HS swerving his CJ-7 into a parking lot trying to be cool, it rolled and flipped about 3 times before stopping! Totaled the Jeep out.
This is my daily driver and I'd have to sell my hot rod truck to get a CJ just for fun, that ain't gonna happen! lol
IMG_20150905_094129_353.jpg

Reactions: Blondie70
Thanks Freedom, for rubbing it in! lol
They're so damn good looking restored and fixed up aren't they?
TBH, where I live, at night I literally have to keep an eye out for deer, a lot of deer.
Driving home last night I imagined if I had to swerve to avoid one?
I remembered watching my buddy back in HS swerving his CJ-7 into a parking lot trying to be cool, it rolled and flipped about 3 times before stopping! Totaled the Jeep out.
This is my daily driver and I'd have to sell my hot rod truck to get a CJ just for fun, that ain't gonna happen! lol
View attachment 221472

well, to be more transparent, his was not restored. It was in decent shape for it's age, but needed a paint job, the interior needed some attention, and the oil pressure gauge gave me concern while sitting at a traffic light. It was also summer in Oklahoma in an open vehicle with no AC and I was looking for something to daily drive. That was NOT the right vehicle for it.