Wanting a CJ or should I keep the TJ?

Thanks Freedom, for rubbing it in! lol
They're so damn good looking restored and fixed up aren't they?
TBH, where I live, at night I literally have to keep an eye out for deer, a lot of deer.
Driving home last night I imagined if I had to swerve to avoid one?
I remembered watching my buddy back in HS swerving his CJ-7 into a parking lot trying to be cool, it rolled and flipped about 3 times before stopping! Totaled the Jeep out.
This is my daily driver and I'd have to sell my hot rod truck to get a CJ just for fun, that ain't gonna happen! lol
View attachment 221472
Wow, an actual standard cab! VERY nice.

Reactions: Tray Burge
I used own a very nice, restored cj. I ended up selling it for my TJ and don’t regret it at all. While they are great to look at they really do ride like crap. I always looked at mine as being an around town vehicle just for cruising.

I used own a very nice, restored cj. I ended up selling it for my TJ and don’t regret it at all. While they are great to look at they really do ride like crap. I always looked at mine as being an around town vehicle just for cruising.
Yeah, that's kinda the conclusion I've come to also.
They do look waaaaaay cool, but handle like shit because of the suspension set-up.

Good choice on keeping the TJ. I had a CJ-5. It was a pain getting in by that hump in the door way opening, can't tell you how many belt loops I ripped off my jeans. Rough riding. Mechanically it did good for me. Straight 6 (258 CI) with a 4 speed.

Well I did have the windshield and trim replaced over the weekend, it no longer sticks up on the corner! lol haha
I've contacted another mech for the gear(s) swap, mine hasn't gotten back to me so it's obvious he doesn't want the work.
and it continues...

X2 to this. They really are terrible to drive even more than 10 minutes.
There is a place about 20 mins from my house, called "Only Jeep Parts" next door another guy has Only Chevy. The local paper did a story about the places, the mud hole proving grounds they have out back etc. Well the part of the story that stuck out for me is the Jeep guy said I also sell a few Jeeps. Someone will see an old Jeep, and they will say my Dad, or Granddad had one when I was little. I would bounce around in the back. So they want one, well I have them test drive it on the same roads I take all of them on. The roads I picked aren't the smoothest around.

When we get back 95% have changed their minds, you might thing that is crazy for me to drive off business. I find it works out better not having the hassle.

Last edited:
There is a place about 20 mins from my house, called "Only Jeep Parts" next door another guy has Only Chevy. The local paper did a story about the places, the mud hole proving grounds they have out etc. Well the part of the story that stuck out for me is the Jeep guy said I also sell a few Jeeps. Someone will see an old Jeep, and they will say my Dad, or Granddad had one when I was little. I would bounce around in the back. So they want one, well I have them test drive it on the same roads I take all of them on. The roads I picked aren't the smoothest around.

When we get back 95% have changed their minds, you might thing that is crazy for me to drive off business. I find it works out better not having the hassle.

I believe that guy is doing the right thing.

CJs ride like crap, period. Yes, they can be made to ride somewhat better, but with a wheelbase even shorter than the TJ and leaf springs all around, there's only so much you can do.

Still, when you see one fully done up I 100% understand the appeal. They are fantastic looking rigs when restored, you'd just find yourself rarely ever driving it is my guess.

I almost went down this rabbit hole once of buying a fully restored CJ until I started driving them. Then I knew it would just sit.

There is a place about 20 mins from my house, called "Only Jeep Parts" next door another guy has Only Chevy. The local paper did a story about the places, the mud hole proving grounds they have out etc. Well the part of the story that stuck out for me is the Jeep guy said I also sell a few Jeeps. Someone will see an old Jeep, and they will say my Dad, or Granddad had one when I was little. I would bounce around in the back. So they want one, well I have them test drive it on the same roads I take all of them on. The roads I picked aren't the smoothest around.

I was watching Dennis Collins from "Collins Brothers Jeep" in Dallas over the weekend and he was talking about how ALL the CJ's were considered antique collectables now, but coming up quick are the TJ's, namely the LJ's right now being the "Holey Grail's" and then some of them getting even more desirable based on the trim packages can send them soaring on the collectability/value scale. So, we're in a good spot as far as desirability is concerned, some more than others.
The JK's will probably, if not ever, be collectable though?
Keep the TJ's rolling!

I believe that guy is doing the right thing.

CJs ride like crap, period. Yes, they can be made to ride somewhat better, but with a wheelbase even shorter than the TJ and leaf springs all around, there's only so much you can do.

Still, when you see one fully done up I 100% understand the appeal. They are fantastic looking rigs when restored, you'd just find yourself rarely ever driving it is my guess.

I almost went down this rabbit hole once of buying a fully restored CJ until I started driving them. Then I knew it would just sit.
Am glad I caught up with this thread, I really like the CJ7's look and have been getting the bug to get one "just because" but am sure you are correct about the rabbit hole. Most of our wheeling is 1 to three hours drive from the house, can't imagine going that far in a harsh ride, then back again after a day on the trail.

The YJ is better on road than the CJ, and even that rides like an old school bus in comparison to the TJ. The TJ is really the best of all worlds. 4.0L engine, good looks, simple and reliable, coil spring suspension for good ride.

I think as the JKs age the 3.6L versions will be desired by enthusiasts. The 3.8L will be like the 4 cylinder TJs and always sell for much less. The JK is simpler than the JL, and I'm sure whatever model that comes out after the JL will be even more complex. As TJs become harder to find (which is already the case in the rust belt where I live) the 3.6L JK will become the model to look for.

Am glad I caught up with this thread, I really like the CJ7's look and have been getting the bug to get one "just because" but am sure you are correct about the rabbit hole. Most of our wheeling is 1 to three hours drive from the house, can't imagine going that far in a harsh ride, then back again after a day on the trail.

Oh yeah, a three hour drive in a CJ would make you hate life. Now an in-town cruise on a nice day, that’s another story.

Oh yeah, a three hour drive in a CJ would make you hate life. Now an in-town cruise on a nice day, that’s another story.
When I got out of school during the dark ages, I remember a bunch of guys decided to hop on their motorcycles and drive from Maine to California. They asked if I wanted to go no thanks.

These guys only rode around here they never rode for long periods of time. They made it but could barely walk when they got there, and they didn't want to ride back. Ahh to be young and stupid, I miss the young part the stupid part is still here.

In 1984 we moved from Nebraska to Phoenix (1450 miles). We drove (2 adults and 2 school age kids and a cat) in a CJ-7. Took 3 days. What a fun trip. NOT

When I got out of school during the dark ages, I remember a bunch of guys decided to hop on their motorcycles and drive from Maine to California. They asked if I wanted to go no thanks.

These guys only rode around here they never rode for long periods of time. They made it but could barely walk when they got there, and they didn't want to ride back. Ahh to be young and stupid, I miss the young part the stupid part is still here.
I work with one of those weirdos. He's my age (40s) & did a "four corners" ride by himself a couple of summers ago. He rode from here to LA, up to the top of Alaska, over to the top of Canada, down to Key West, & back here to Utah. He was gone like two months.

X2 to this. They really are terrible to drive even more than 10 minutes.
A cj is cool...as in you will freeze.

They are outdated beyond belief..when they were made they were 15 years behind in automotive technology.

The last ones are a mess of vacuum lines.

Parts are getting scarce.

I had 5 cjs. Not time traveling back that far now. Get me to 1997 and I can walk the rest of the way.

Reactions: Chris and jeepguy03
A cj is cool...as in you will freeze.

They are outdated beyond belief..when they were made they were 15 years behind in automotive technology.

The last ones are a mess of vacuum lines.

Parts are getting scarce.

I had 5 cjs. Not time traveling back that far now. Get me to 1997 and I can walk the rest of the way.
That's true about the vacuum line mess. Carburetors + the birth of emissions equipment was a nightmare. I remember looking under the hood of an 80's Grand Wagoneer with the 5.9L V8 and thought holy vacuum lines. Even my 1990 XJ with the Renix system was a mess under the hood, the 4.0L HO engines of 1991+ were much simpler.

Reactions: AndyG
That's true about the vacuum line mess. Carburetors + the birth of emissions equipment was a nightmare. I remember looking under the hood of an 80's Grand Wagoneer with the 5.9L V8 and thought holy vacuum lines. Even my 1990 XJ with the Renix system was a mess under the hood, the 4.0L HO engines of 1991+ were much simpler.
that was a tough era for them because they were trying to be EPA compliant and they couldn't update their manufacturing because they didn't have money.

Reactions: jeepguy03