Warn 4-pin remote for my 8274

The 3 wire is so easy to wire the dash switches. Let me know if you need any help and as Blackjack said I've got some terminal boots. And if Blackjack doesn't have the cables I might. I need to go thru my winch box and see what I have.

Reactions: flyinfish
I'm glad Blackjack had a controller. The spare I have is a little rough.

20220422_115148.jpg

It's missing the plug and has been tapped up before.

20220422_115155.jpg

And of course like always I can't find the box with all my wiring parts. But I know it's here.

Reactions: Blackjack

View attachment 324728

View attachment 324729

And of course like always I can't find the box with all my wiring parts. But I know it's here.
"I can't find the box with all my shit, but I know it's here somewhere" That's a good one and I've used myself many times! :LOL:

"I can't find the box with all my shit, but I know it's here somewhere" That's a good one and I've used myself many times! :LOL:
I keep saying I'm getting towards the end of this build but I still have all this stuff....

20220422_122316.jpg

20220422_122325.jpg

And I've reorganized these boxes a few times.

An Atlas here, a Header there. I guess those aren't that bad of problems to have.

My father was famous for buying multiple items due to not being able to find it, so he'd have to buy another. Believe me when he passed away in 2006 he had paper bags and boxes of hardware and of course never got rid of a thing.

I'm pretty particular about things like fasteners and such so I know when I'm low on something and not to buy too many.

Reactions: Wildman
I can relate to your dad. I won't tell you how many parts I've bought 2 or 3 times because I'd forgotten I'd bought them.

How many boots do you need? I guess I don't have extra cables. Or if I do I haven't found them yet.

I think you need 6 boots but verify for me.

20220422_123500.jpg

I think so. I'll have to look but I think there's three on the motor and three on the solenoids. I'll check to be sure.

Blackjack can shed more light on this but the 5 pin I think added the overload safety feature or something like that.
It was interesting when Warn came out with the plastic plug in the mid 80s they had the provision for additional pins as most companies do not. The five wire control came from when Warn went away from the "Old Ford Style" to the "New Ford Style" upright post solenoids that had to be grounded. At first Warn just added a ground wire from the solenoids to the motor and all the control harness connections used push on barrel connectors. Some serious failures started showing up due to the connectors and the voltage spike that happens when the magnetic field from the coil collapsing. So an upgrade to the five wire harness was necessary where they used ring terminals hard fastened and switching the ground circuit to manage the voltage spike. That also added some redundancy to the circuit as well.

View attachment 324728

View attachment 324729

That one has seen better days for sure.
Pretty sure most of us has one of those boxes or three.

The motor to battery leads cables are larger than necessary at 1/0 and too short so I can take care of those. The three motor to solenoid leads are weathered and I'll replace as well.