Warn cast iron hawse?

Zorba

"The Veiled Male"
Supporting Member
Ok, so I have this, which is apparently a "Warn 7609":

DSC09798.JPG

DSC09799.JPG

I see these selling on eBay for $40 or more. My first inclination was to junk it and get a new aluminum one that won't rust, is lighter, and won't stain my soon to be purchased synthetic line. So what do these guys paying $40 plus shipping know that I don't?

That hawse will ruin your soon to be purchased synthetic rope. Been there, done that.

Reactions: Zorba
Even if I were to sand/polish it down? Not that I'm inclined to, but wondering why these are selling like they appear to be.

If you consider your time to be worth something, I think it would take more time to polish than would be worth what you'd save not purchasing a new aluminum one.

If you consider your time to be worth something, I think it would take more time to polish than would be worth what you'd save not purchasing a new aluminum one.
I'm retired, doesn't matter. But with that said, even if I polish it up, then I'd still have to deal with rust. Paint would come right off first time I used it - so I'm pretty much leaning towards aluminum.

I'm retired, doesn't matter. But with that said, even if I polish it up, then I'd still have to deal with rust. Paint would come right off first time I used it - so I'm pretty much leaning towards aluminum.
exactly.

In theory it might be nice because it'd be less prone than aluminum to getting scratched and gouged and then ripping up your synthetic rope. But yeah, the paint is going to rub off immediately and then start rusting, and then rip up your synthetic rope. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Now...if somebody made one out of stainless steel, that would be interesting.

Even if I were to sand/polish it down? Not that I'm inclined to, but wondering why these are selling like they appear to be.

If it were machined and polished with no casting imperfections, then yes it would work if it stays free of rust. But no one will pay for that.

As to why they are selling, who knows? They work for steel cable. Beyond that, it is important to understand that most people rarely, if ever, use their winch. Stuff doesn't break if it never gets used. It makes selecting parts really difficult.

Reactions: 2001slvrstntj