Warn M8000-S sketchy eBay deal?

It looks legit enough, but have you read the thread about Ebay's new F-U policy? Has to do with PayPal. But if you're not using PayPal, then...maybe not a problem.

I just bought one on Amazon for $893, so that's a much better deal money wise. The seller doesn't have much of a rating, but maybe this is how he plans to build up that rating.

If you use your credit card, and you get juked, you could always sic the credit card company on the seller and Ebay for fraud.

Reactions: Tob
His Ebay account has 100% positive feedback and their spread out enough to look legit. Agree with above, use Paypal. I also recommend if there's any doubt, use a credit card through Paypal. I've done a lot of Ebay transactions. If you pay with a checking account, you have to let Paypal decide your fate with a long dispute process. I received half of an empty box and they ruled against me because USPS marked it delivered.

If you pay with a credit card, all you have to do is dispute it with the CC company. Paypal will not get to decide to screw you over.

Does this look sketchy? It's almost $100 cheaper than the cheapest place I've found (amazon). Is this legit?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5337789113&icep_item=402592705853
That's a great deal, here's another with a slightly different version of the M8000 which uses relays (as most winches do) instead of the contactors used on the ebay winch.

Having had both types (relay and contactor) I'd go for the one that Ricky is selling at https://www.4lowparts.com/shop/warn-vr8000-s-recovery-winch/ which also includes synthetic rope. Not to mention Ricky is a member of this forum and an avid Jeeper. Good guy, I'd buy from him rather than an unknown on eBay.

And with the cost savings I'd DEFINITELY have Ricky add a Safety Thimble to replace the standard hook that comes on the winch. https://www.4lowparts.com/shop/safety-thimble-ii-black-tre-tactical-recovery-equipment/ @mrblaine developed the Safety Thimble and it's a faster/safer/easier way to go than with a conventional hook. It's available in several colors too.

Here's my Safety Thimble connected to the rollbar via a soft shackle. Just one way it can be used like, perhaps, a vehicle has flopped onto its side.
IMAG1925.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
That's a great deal, here's another with a slightly different version of the M8000 which uses relays (as most winches do) instead of the contactors used on the ebay winch.

Having had both types (relay and contactor) I'd go for the one that Ricky is selling at https://www.4lowparts.com/shop/warn-vr8000-s-recovery-winch/ which also includes synthetic rope. Not to mention Ricky is a member of this forum and an avid Jeeper. Good guy, I'd buy from him rather than an unknown on eBay.

And with the cost savings I'd DEFINITELY have Ricky add a Safety Thimble to replace the standard hook that comes on the winch. https://www.4lowparts.com/shop/safety-thimble-ii-black-tre-tactical-recovery-equipment/ @mrblaine developed the Safety Thimble and it's a faster/safer/easier way to go than with a conventional hook. It's available in several colors too.

Here's my Safety Thimble connected to the rollbar via a soft shackle. Just one way it can be used like, perhaps, a vehicle has flopped onto its side.
So the only difference between the VR and M series is the use of relays versus contactors?

In regard to the safety thimble from TRE, another option I looked at was buying the steel line version of the M8000 and replacing the roller fairlead and steel line with hawse fairlead and safety thimble + synthetic line from TRE. The total price would be close. Not to mention I could try selling the take-off line and fairlead.

Now that I think about it, is there anywhere you can buy a winch without line and fairlead?

Last edited:
Remember that Ebay and PayPal have parted ways. PayPal is starting to tell Ebay buyers to pound sand if there is an issue. This happened to me recently. Ebay told me to talk to PayPal. PayPal told me to talk to Ebay. Ultimately, the problem was resolved (mostly) between the seller and I minus whatever fees Ebay and PayPal took for processing of the original purchase.

Reactions: Modoc Guy
IIRC, both the new VR’s and M’s have contactors not solenoids. I read that on Warn’s website when I was debating which series I wanted to go with. Unless I missed something in my research.

And I thought the VR’s were made overseas as opposed to the M’s that are made in the US.

Reactions: Tob and L J
So the only difference between the VR and M series is the use of relays versus contactors?

In regard to the safety thimble from TRE, another option I looked at was buying the steel line version of the M8000 and replacing the roller fairlead and steel line with hawse fairlead and safety thimble + synthetic line from TRE. The total price would be close. Not to mention I could try selling the take-off line and fairlead.

Now that I think about it, is there anywhere you can buy a winch without line and fairlead?
You cannot buy the winch new without rope and fairlead. No reason not to run the roller unless your mount pushes the fairlead out too far.

IIRC, both the new VR’s and M’s have contactors not solenoids. I read that on Warn’s website when I was debating which series I wanted to go with. Unless I missed something in my research.

And I thought the VR’s were made overseas as opposed to the M’s that are made in the US.
You are correct on both counts.

Reactions: L J
Just one more point of interest about the M8000-s. I just installed mine and while I was happy having bought a US made product, I was disappointed in finding out that the synthetic rope is Chinese!

So the OP’s idea about getting an M series and then putting a TRE rope and thimble on it isn’t a bad idea. Especially if you can do it at close to the same price when you’re done.

Actually, it’s kinda BS that Warn’s charging what they do for a Chinese rope. But since I’ve got it, I’ll run it for now.

Looks legit to me.

Buy it through eBay using your credit card and you'll be covered 100%.

Just one more point of interest about the M8000-s. I just installed mine and while I was happy having bought a US made product, I was disappointed in finding out that the synthetic rope is Chinese!

So the OP’s idea about getting an M series and then putting a TRE rope and thimble on it isn’t a bad idea. Especially if you can do it at close to the same price when you’re done.

Actually, it’s kinda BS that Warn’s charging what they do for a Chinese rope. But since I’ve got it, I’ll run it for now.
This is what I'm leaning towards. Although I trust Jerry's recommendation on the VR series, I'd rather USA made (It's in your signature, after all!). Which leaves one more question: Is the only difference between the M8000 and M8000-S the line? Because in all the pictures I've seen, they seem to have different control boxes.

Which leaves one more question: Is the only difference between the M8000 and M8000-S the line? Because in all the pictures I've seen, they seem to have different control boxes.
the rope and the fairlead

M8
0000400_m8-winch-26502.jpeg

M8-S
0001346_m8-s-winch-87800.jpeg

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.