Warn M8000 won't go into free spool

PNW_LJ

Nut-Swing Salesman
Supporting Member
I'm reassembling an M8000 that I recently picked up locally, and for some reason the clutch lever refuses to go into free spool mode. Sometimes it will go in once, and but not again. Definitely not seized, it's as if some gear inside is blocking it. I'm following diagram on Warn's website, and I believe I have everything assembled correctly.

There wasn't any issues with the lever before I disassembled it, it moved between both modes smooth as butter.

Video of issue:

Video of inner gear moving quite a bit (should it be moving that much):

Anyone have ideas of what to look into?

I've tried it with the clutch lever bolt screwed in prior to this video. Have had the winch apart so many times that I didn't reinstall the bolt for video.

Make sure the sliding ring gear is in correctly, there is a right way and a wrong way to insert. Rounded teeth in first (so can engage splines in housing)

(about 23:30 tells how to put in)

Last edited:
Make sure the sliding ring gear is in correctly, there is a right way and a wrong way to insert. Rounded teeth in first (so can engage splines in housing)

(about 23:30 tells how to put in)

Wow, okay. I don't think I ever took mine out, but I will doublecheck.

1702088427012.png

In other news, the gear housing cracked while I was tightening one of the bolts 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I wasn't even giving it that much pressure when it cracked. But its definitely possible I might've overtightened it during the previous 15 or so times I had it apart.

The cheapest housing I can find online is $127.. so pissed at myself right now.

• Wow
Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Wow, okay. I don't think I ever took mine out, but I will doublecheck.

View attachment 480780

In other news, the gear housing cracked while I was tightening one of the bolts 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I wasn't even giving it that much pressure when it cracked. But its definitely possible I might've overtightened it during the previous 15 or so times I had it apart.

The cheapest housing I can find online is $127.. so pissed at myself right now.

Good chance I have a used housing that will work. Let me dig tomorrow and I will let you know.

I had my brand new M8000 not go into freespool. I took it apart and found that a small brass (?) disc that was supposed to be behind the outer most gear had fallen out of place and jammed in the gear. I'll see if I can find some pics...

Edit: found it. I thought I had taken more of where it went but some stuff was deleted.

PXL_20231019_022657003.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and PNW_LJ
Wonder if somehow something got warped.

I just took apart my 9.5 gear assembly, drained out a touch of water...likely condensation...and regreased it... likely with the wrong grease. It'll do for now and it's free spoiling much better.

-Mac

Reactions: PNW_LJ
10 bolts so you could probably get away without one being fully tight for a while. As long as it didn't rain !!

(little Pacific NW humor there !)

Yea, you’re not wrong, it’s been pouring pretty much nonstop the last 2 weeks.

I used some special glue to put them back together. Still some minor cracks in there, I’d be worried about the gears rusting over time

I had my brand new M8000 not go into freespool. I took it apart and found that a small brass (?) disc that was supposed to be behind the outer most gear had fallen out of place and jammed in the gear. I'll see if I can find some pics...

Edit: found it. I thought I had taken more of where it went but some stuff was deleted.

View attachment 480866

I will check.

Wonder if somehow something got warped.

I just took apart my 9.5 gear assembly, drained out a touch of water...likely condensation...and regreased it... likely with the wrong grease. It'll do for now and it's free spoiling much better.

-Mac

Thing is, free spool was working perfectly before I took it apart. So definitely my screwup somewhere, then I added to it by overtightening the bolt.

There’s not that many moving parts, so I’m confused what I’m doing wrong. I’m hoping its the tab @hosejockey61 posted.

Reactions: macleanflood
Yea, you’re not wrong, it’s been pouring pretty much nonstop the last 2 weeks.

I used some special glue to put them back together. Still some minor cracks in there, I’d be worried about the gears rusting over time

Can't rust if they're coated with grease 😉

Double down, drill a hole and put in a grease zerk so you can pump that sucker full and push any water out 🤣

Mostly kidding, I know nothing about winches and the above could be terrible advice

• Haha
Reactions: PNW_LJ
Small amount of good Warn recommended grease, just enough to coat gears. If under water best to take apart and clean. Not really waterproof.

should we be lubing the selector lever? Mine is real hard to turn but the sleeve inside slides back and forth easily