Warn Rock Crawler Bumper

JMT

Just another auto...
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
The Warn bumper has a hitch but is not rated for towing. I’ve read old threads in other forums that say this is just for legal purposes, and that I can use it to tow. I’ll need to weld some chain brackets on, but other than that, am I safe to tow?
387D7B66-1506-42A3-8DF2-4EBF394CE600.jpeg

I pull a 750lb trailer and will not exceed the 2,000lb tow rating of our TJ’s. I also use a cargo carrier, and will not exceed the 200lb hitch weight limit. Can I use the cargo carrier safely? Thanks!

That was the bumper I was gonna try to find if I couldn't find the mopar. I also liked the ARB rear. Very nice bumper tho. Not much help with your towing question sorry just wanted to say very nice haha

Reactions: JMT
That was the bumper I was gonna try to find if I couldn't find the mopar. I also liked the ARB rear. Very nice bumper tho. Not much help with your towing question sorry just wanted to say very nice haha
Thanks, I’m going to sand, etch, paint and bolt up. It’s really growing on me! I love the full coverage and clearance at the tapered corners. It’s pretty simple and very clean and beefy.

Reactions: Starrs
Maybe add some frame tie ins for added strength, but I would tow more than 1000lbs. with that bumper.

Reactions: ac_
Can I run the frame tie-ins and still keep my Curt tow hooks which mount at an angle on the outside of the frame at the rear? Maybe @Jerry Bransford will chime in on the towing and cargo carrier questions with this bumper. I’m sure he knows...

Can I run the frame tie-ins and still keep my Curt tow hooks which mount at an angle on the outside of the frame at the rear? Maybe @Jerry Bransford will chime in on the towing and cargo carrier questions with this bumper. I’m sure he knows...
Yes, both are installed on my TJ.

Last edited:
Thank you sir!

And are you saying with frame tie-ins I can tow and use my cargo carrier within the TJ’s specs?

Last edited:
I don't know about your laws, but here if I were to tow with something that isn't rated for towing, and something happened, I'd be liable, and insurance wouldn't cover it.

I don't know about your laws, but here if I were to tow with something that isn't rated for towing, and something happened, I'd be liable, and insurance wouldn't cover it.
I’m sure it’s the same here. It sucks because all the bumpers with a receiver hitch built in say “not rated for towing.” Of course, the reason it’s there is to serve as a recovery point. If it can serve as that, why can’t you also safely tow wit it? On another unnamed forum @Jerry Bransford said the reason they say “not rated for towing” is because lawyers got involved. To quote, “The "Not rated for towing" thing is usually the manufacturer's attorney way of limiting their liability. Lots of bumpers with receiver hitches used to be rated for towing but no longer are? Right, it's apparent the lawyers got involved.

So we'd have to assume that while some may truly not be strong enough, I'd have to assume that most with a 2" receiver hitch are going to be fine for towing. You just have to make sure it either comes with safety chain attach points or you have a welder add them.“

Yes so long as the bumper and its receiver hitch is up to all that. :)
How does one know that? :) The receiver passes all the way through the bumper and is welded to an integrated plate on the backside. It’s clear Warn beefed up the center of the bumper, as you know.

It just defeats the point to have to add a frame mounted tow hitch under the bumper, since it destroys your departure angle. I don’t know how many times I’ve hit that thing. Of course, the TJ is known for hitting it’s a— often. Just hoped this Warn Bumper would allow me to tow so I could get rid of the tow hitch and recover my better departure angles. So how does one know if the bumper and receiver hitch are up to towing?

Last edited:
I tow 1000lb trailer quite frequently and have pulled large logs.
Plus as mentioned, used as a recovery point.
20180105_075911.jpg

It just defeats the point to have to add a frame mounted tow hitch under the bumper, since it destroys your departure angle. I don’t know how many times I’ve hit that thing. Of course, the TJ is known for hitting it’s a— often. Just hoped this Warn Bumper would allow me to tow so I could get rid of the tow hitch and recover my better departure angles. So how does one know if the bumper and receiver hitch are up to towing?
You can bet it'd be fine for towing coming from Warn. Not to mention a 2,000 lb. trailer only puts about a 200 lb. load on a bumper when rolling on pavement... its rolling weight, which is why you can move a 2,000 lb. trailer around by hand.

And I don't know about your frame mounted tow hooks but mine do not affect my TJ's departure angle. This is how mine are mounted.

Tow Hook.jpg

Reactions: ac_
You can bet it'd be fine for towing coming from Warn. Not to mention a 2,000 lb. trailer only puts about a 200 lb. load on a bumper when rolling on pavement... its rolling weight, which is why you can move a 2,000 lb. trailer around by hand.

And I don't know about your frame mounted tow hooks but mine do not affect my TJ's departure angle. This is how mine are mounted.

View attachment 28232
Great! Thanks. As far as my departure angle, I wanted to get rid of my Curt which is currently under my stock bumper.
147BC891-B674-4254-B7AD-5402469A87B4.jpeg

My recovery hooks are positioned like yours.
CBD4BD6D-8EAF-4C11-8DE3-6438B6082EDF.jpeg

I went ahead and ordered some frame Tie-ins for the new Warn which is now prepped for self-etching primer.
ABEA4F58-E17C-41C9-B23D-458729A1876A.jpeg

Looks like I need to drill 4 more holes in my crossmember to mount it correctly. Do you need to remove the crossmember to get the bolt behind it to screw into the bumper?

I also ran it for a couple of months or so without those interior bolts until I had the time and the parts on hand to do the job. Just don't use it for towing or recovery until ALL the bolts are in.

I also ran it for a couple of months or so without those interior bolts until I had the time and the parts on hand to do the job. Just don't use it for towing or recovery until ALL the bolts are in.
I guess I’ll wait till I'm on an empty tank. Is all I have to disconnect the filler hose? Or do I have to literally take the tank off the Jeep?