Warn Rock Crawler Bumper

Great! Thanks. As far as my departure angle, I wanted to get rid of my Curt which is currently under my stock bumper.
View attachment 28237
My recovery hooks are positioned like yours.
View attachment 28238
I went ahead and ordered some frame Tie-ins for the new Warn which is now prepped for self-etching primer.
View attachment 28239
Looks like I need to drill 4 more holes in my crossmember to mount it correctly. Do you need to remove the crossmember to get the bolt behind it to screw into the bumper?
When I installed my Dirtworx rear bumper, I had to drill the same 4 holes. Just removing the rear nuts on the gas tank skid plate studs let the rear of the gas tank drop and provide sufficient room for me to get the bolts through to the bumper. That could be the case also with the Warn, hopefully. I did not lower the gas tank all the way.
img_0848-1-jpg.jpg

I could be wrong, but I think the frame tie-ins use at least one of the same holes in the frame that your recovery hooks use...
img_0880-1-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT
I really hope you’re right. That would make it easy peasy.

I’m going to give it a shot tomorrow. All prepped, primed and painted. It looks awesome; BRAND NEW!

As for the frame tie ins, I ordered the poison spider ones. They appear to avoid causing conflict with the recovery tow hooks. Everyone raves about them, so I think I’ll be avidly pleased!

Thank you for your help!

I guess I’ll wait till I'm on an empty tank. Is all I have to disconnect the filler hose? Or do I have to literally take the tank off the Jeep?

I took mine all the way out, but maybe you can just lower it enough to get the job done.

There are 7 nuts to get off, plus the 3 fuel lines on the driver's side. Those 3 lines have clips that always break but you can get them at any auto parts place. On another thread I have all the part numbers.

If all your evap equipment is on the passenger side you'll need to disconnect it.

Last edited:
I took mine all the way out, but maybe you can just lower it enough to get the job done.

There are 7 nuts to get off, plus the 3 fuel lines on the driver's side. Those 3 lines have clips that always break but you can get them at any auto parts place. On another thread I have all the part numbers.

If all your evap equipment is on the passenger side you'll need to disconnect t
It’s amazing how dumb I feel sometimes when I read some of your posts...”Evap equipment???”

More research...

It’s amazing how dumb I feel sometimes when I read some of your posts...”Evap equipment???”

More research...

On the passenger rear side of the TJ is an evaporative canister with hoses going to the fuel tank. It's part of the emission system that monitors fuel evap system. You know that pesky check engine light you get that tells you that you have a small/large evap leak, well that's the bugger that tells the computer there is a leak. Damn smog emissions anyway!

Reactions: CodaMan and JMT
When I installed my Dirtworx rear bumper, I had to drill the same 4 holes. Just removing the rear nuts on the gas tank skid plate studs let the rear of the gas tank drop and provide sufficient room for me to get the bolts through to the bumper. That could be the case also with the Warn, hopefully. I did not lower the gas tank all the way.
View attachment 28250

I could be wrong, but I think the frame tie-ins use at least one of the same holes in the frame that your recovery hooks use...
View attachment 28249
Not all frame tie-ins block the hole or space that would be used for a tow hook mounted on the side of the frame. My previous TJ had both a frame tie-in and a frame-side mounted tow hook. My present TJ has a frame tie-in but no frame side tow hook though there is space for one. My Dirt Worx rear bumper has shackle tabs so no tow hook is required. I was actually kinda surprised just now when I went to go look that my present TJ doesn't have side tow hooks, I though it did... memory is the second thing to go when you get old. :D

IMG_0020.PNG
IMG_0021.PNG
IMG_0022.PNG
IMG_0023.PNG
Here is the warn rock crawler rear fabbed with the AEV tire carrier. Looks awesome. Not sure how difficult that is to do tho. I thought it was the mopar rear but it is the warn. Very neat

Alright, here’s the Warn Rock Crawler bumper transition today. Just got it yesterday! This thing is awesome. I’m so blessed to get this!
Original in very good condition
43DA902B-054A-4CBA-8910-3822E51FE3AC.jpeg

Prepped by sanding using 220 and 120 and angle grinder with 80 for cleaning up dings and welds
98B51347-7B37-41CF-9CB6-E5CFF52BF0F8.jpeg

Self etching primer
0FECA3F4-DF6F-4EEA-B4F6-0E90BA773235.jpeg

Semi-gloss finish that I love
03030DDA-C184-491F-8591-27EDD64FFF0A.jpeg

Tell me that doesn’t look BRAND NEW! I’m not a painter or the son of a painter. Yes, those are beer cans. no, I did not drink them all today. That was today and yesterday.

Alright, here’s the Warn Rock Crawler bumper transition today. Just got it yesterday! This thing is awesome. I’m so blessed to get this!
View attachment 28292
Prepped by sanding using 220 and 120 and angle grinder with 80 for cleaning up dings and welds
View attachment 28294
Self etching primer
View attachment 28297
View attachment 28301
Tell me that doesn’t look BRAND NEW! I’m not a painter or the son of a painter. Yes, those are beer cans.
What paint did you go with??

View attachment 28292
View attachment 28294
Self etching primer
View attachment 28297
View attachment 28301
Tell me that doesn’t look BRAND NEW! I’m not a painter or the son of a painter. Yes, those are beer cans. no, I did not drink them all today. That was today and yesterday.
Great job and it looks awesome. Now sell it too me, lol

@Starrs, I first bought this paint to re-do some steelies. That never happened, but I started using it on my front and rear bumper and then a front sway bar and then my ZJ tie rod conversion and drag link. So it’s sort of become a household paint. Since it’s made for wheels it resists chipping. Nice and subtle IMO.

image.jpg

@Starrs, I first bought this paint to re-do some steelies. That never happened, but I started using it on my front and rear bumper and then a front sway bar and then my ZJ tie rod conversion and drag link. So it’s sort of become a household paint. Since it’s made for wheels it resists chipping. Nice and subtle IMO.

I used that stuff on Frankentrailer's wheels, but in a charcoal color. Has help up well. Good job buddy!

View attachment 28250

View attachment 28249
Your frame tie-ins and dirtworx bumper look great by the way!

I’m sure it’s the same here. It sucks because all the bumpers with a receiver hitch built in say “not rated for towing.” Of course, the reason it’s there is to serve as a recovery point. If it can serve as that, why can’t you also safely tow wit it? On another unnamed forum @Jerry Bransford said the reason they say “not rated for towing” is because lawyers got involved. To quote, “The "Not rated for towing" thing is usually the manufacturer's attorney way of limiting their liability. Lots of bumpers with receiver hitches used to be rated for towing but no longer are? Right, it's apparent the lawyers got involved.

So we'd have to assume that while some may truly not be strong enough, I'd have to assume that most with a 2" receiver hitch are going to be fine for towing. You just have to make sure it either comes with safety chain attach points or you have a welder add them.“

How does one know that? :) The receiver passes all the way through the bumper and is welded to an integrated plate on the backside. It’s clear Warn beefed up the center of the bumper, as you know.

It just defeats the point to have to add a frame mounted tow hitch under the bumper, since it destroys your departure angle. I don’t know how many times I’ve hit that thing. Of course, the TJ is known for hitting it’s a— often. Just hoped this Warn Bumper would allow me to tow so I could get rid of the tow hitch and recover my better departure angles. So how does one know if the bumper and receiver hitch are up to towing?

I went with the ACE bumper/Tire carrier with a built in because it did retain factory tow ratings, and an easy install.