Was this a scam?

Viking Jeeper

2A Supporter
Supporting Member
A couple of weeks ago I was on my way to my regular grocery store. There were a couple of motorcycle riders behind the liquor store near the entrance to the parking lot. I live in a boringly safe suburban area of Jacksonville FL. One of the guys flags me down to ask for a jump start. I've got time and pull in. He insists that my Jeep "puts out too much power" for his bike and that I need to turn the engine off. Although I know he is wrong, I also was pretty sure my battery could start a motorcycle so I turn the engine off and we hook up his jumper cables. We get the bike started and I'm on my way. After I get a few items at the store and on my way out of the parking lot headed home, someone else is jumping the same bike in the same place.

I've got all kinds of questions, to include: who has the room to cary jumper cables on a smallish motorcycle?. I don't think they were legit but I cant figure out what the angle was. Any ideas?

Thanks for the replies. This has been on my mind for a while. There were lots of people around for witnesses. The bike was running when I left. When I drove by the other driver jump starting the bike for the second time the bikers acted like they had no idea what I was talking about as I said "I jump started that bike 10 minutes ago"

• Wow
Reactions: TJ Starting
Helping somebody with a jump is the right thing to do, just remember where your wallet is. Being helpful and being gullible aren't the same thing, sounds like you had your head on straight.

Reactions: Steven_Olson
nope, they were correct, when jumping a motorcycle turn off the engine. that's the way I was taught to do it. it's possible he had a bad battery. if it stalled out he would have to get a jump to get it started again.
as to the rest? who knows?