Watch These Electric Jeep Wranglers Put Gas And Diesel Jeeps To Shame

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
i36wcbmpwc2ro7nkdnfj.jpg

It’ electric, but can the driver see? (Photo Credit: CAD4X/YouTube)

While we’ve all been swapping speculation over what the 2018 Jeep Wrangler will do, brainiacs in Korea have already revolutionized the current model by giving it electric power. These EV Wranglers aren’t highway-fast, but watching them climb steps is downright inspiring!

Apparently the CAD4X Laboratory at the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology has been at this for some time, since this video’s already eight months old. I don’t know how I missed it when it was first uploaded, but I think these masterpieces warrant further investigation.

I only happened to find out about these Jeeps this week from my friend Michael Bream who runs EV West, a company converting classic cars to electric power in southern California. Bream told me this Korean group buys parts from his company, and actually inspired his next personal project.

(If we’re all lucky, I’ll have driving impressions of that Pinzgauer in a few months.)

In the meantime, enjoy watching these electric Jeeps doing Jeep stuff! There are water crossings, dirt pile scrambles, driving up a riverway and of course scaling staircases.

anuynhhvnzcsbmdokksj.jpg

I guess it’s waterproof.

Jeep actually made its own EV Wrangler way back when the current JK bodystyle was still pretty new, and we know a hybrid version is in the 4x4's future. But I haven’t seen anybody work an electric Wrangler as hard as the folks at CAD4X are doing here.

The video tells us the Jeeps are powered by “dual 60 kW motor” and a Kokam NMC battery. I’m not entirely sure if that means two 60 kW’ers for a total of 120 kW or just one, but the equivalent power output is claimed at 160 horsepower and about 210 ft-lbs of torque. And of course, that torque is instantaneous. You can tell by watching these things walk up obstacles!

Even on massive 37-inch mud terrain tires, the green Jeep seems to be getting plenty of juice to the ground and putting another JK with a diesel engine to shame.

It seems that CAD4X is led by Professional Naehyuck Chang. The group has already uploaded heaps of videos demonstrating the electric Jeeps in action, but the one embedded above seems to be a pretty complete roundup of all the others.

I’m going to try and get in touch with these guys to find out more about their project, because it’s awesome. I mean they basically made a life-sized R/C car!

View attachment 8101
It’ electric, but can the driver see? (Photo Credit: CAD4X/YouTube)

While we’ve all been swapping speculation over what the 2018 Jeep Wrangler will do, brainiacs in Korea have already revolutionized the current model by giving it electric power. These EV Wranglers aren’t highway-fast, but watching them climb steps is downright inspiring!

Apparently the CAD4X Laboratory at the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology has been at this for some time, since this video’s already eight months old. I don’t know how I missed it when it was first uploaded, but I think these masterpieces warrant further investigation.

I only happened to find out about these Jeeps this week from my friend Michael Bream who runs EV West, a company converting classic cars to electric power in southern California. Bream told me this Korean group buys parts from his company, and actually inspired his next personal project.

(If we’re all lucky, I’ll have driving impressions of that Pinzgauer in a few months.)

In the meantime, enjoy watching these electric Jeeps doing Jeep stuff! There are water crossings, dirt pile scrambles, driving up a riverway and of course scaling staircases.

View attachment 8102

I guess it’s waterproof.

Jeep actually made its own EV Wrangler way back when the current JK bodystyle was still pretty new, and we know a hybrid version is in the 4x4's future. But I haven’t seen anybody work an electric Wrangler as hard as the folks at CAD4X are doing here.

The video tells us the Jeeps are powered by “dual 60 kW motor” and a Kokam NMC battery. I’m not entirely sure if that means two 60 kW’ers for a total of 120 kW or just one, but the equivalent power output is claimed at 160 horsepower and about 210 ft-lbs of torque. And of course, that torque is instantaneous. You can tell by watching these things walk up obstacles!

Even on massive 37-inch mud terrain tires, the green Jeep seems to be getting plenty of juice to the ground and putting another JK with a diesel engine to shame.

It seems that CAD4X is led by Professional Naehyuck Chang. The group has already uploaded heaps of videos demonstrating the electric Jeeps in action, but the one embedded above seems to be a pretty complete roundup of all the others.

I’m going to try and get in touch with these guys to find out more about their project, because it’s awesome. I mean they basically made a life-sized R/C car!
Saw this today, and was also going to post it... Dude, TOOOOOOOOOOOOOORQUE!!

Reactions: Shatto and Chris
I'm about as far from being a tree-hugger as it is possible to be, but I have to admit that I'd love to have an electric Wrangler. The thought of cruising down the trail with the loudest sound being the tires crunching on gravel is just too cool, and I don't have a problem going green when it is practical and cost-effective. I do have a few things that I would consider mandatory before I jumped on that bandwagon, though.
1. Minimum 300 mile range on battery alone. An aux gas engine is fine for extending the range, but it should primarily be used as a backup.
2. 15 minute full recharge. No one is going to do road trips in a vehicle that goes 300 miles, then has to be parked overnight to recharge, and my Jeep is all about road trips.
3. Cost comparable to a gas engine Jeep. I'm too cheap to spend twice what I did on my current Jeep just to have electric.
4. Infrastructure. Until fast charging stations (see #2) are as widespread as gas stations, it's all a pipe dream. In fact, I think that the oil companies are missing out on a chance to save their bottom lines by not being out in front of this technology. Picture a station with 4 gas/diesel pumps and 4 charging points (and a convenience store - can't forget the Red Bull and Slim Jims!). Guaranteed cash flow, no matter what power source you are using.

I'm about as far from being a tree-hugger as it is possible to be, but I have to admit that I'd love to have an electric Wrangler. The thought of cruising down the trail with the loudest sound being the tires crunching on gravel is just too cool, and I don't have a problem going green when it is practical and cost-effective. I do have a few things that I would consider mandatory before I jumped on that bandwagon, though.
1. Minimum 300 mile range on battery alone. An aux gas engine is fine for extending the range, but it should primarily be used as a backup.
2. 15 minute full recharge. No one is going to do road trips in a vehicle that goes 300 miles, then has to be parked overnight to recharge, and my Jeep is all about road trips.
3. Cost comparable to a gas engine Jeep. I'm too cheap to spend twice what I did on my current Jeep just to have electric.
4. Infrastructure. Until fast charging stations (see #2) are as widespread as gas stations, it's all a pipe dream. In fact, I think that the oil companies are missing out on a chance to save their bottom lines by not being out in front of this technology. Picture a station with 4 gas/diesel pumps and 4 charging points (and a convenience store - can't forget the Red Bull and Slim Jims!). Guaranteed cash flow, no matter what power source you are using.

You said it my friend. I agree with this 100%.

Battery technology is catching up quick. The company I work for sells fork lifts with lithium-iron-phosphate batteries and will run 12-17 hours, take a 90 minutes charge and run another 12-17 hours. That might not sound impressive, but lead acid battery forklifts run 8 hours, need an 8 hour charge and 8 hours to cool down.
Also the company that builds these forklifts has taxis and city buses operating on full electric. I can’t imagine you drive your TJ as much as a bus or a taxi gets driven. But where do you charge it? That’s probably the biggest obstacle in the U.S.

Having driven a Chevy Volt for over 4 years now, I would love to have a drivetrain like that in a Jeep. 100% torque at 0 rpm would be perfect for rock crawling. The on-board generator means no range anxiety.

Reactions: Chris
Cool but I'd miss the purring of the gas engine. The sound the electric motor puts out sounds like a robot. Now if you did a themed jeep you could name it 'Terminator' and that would work....
I heard in China you can select and adjust the roar of any engine you want to be per your liking. It's in their "apps".

Reactions: JMT
Is there some kind of transmission between the motor and T/C, or is it direct drive?
It seems pretty jerky if it is just on or off, kinda like an automatic trans driven by a one foot driver.

I wonder what happens to that 300 mile range if you go so slow and wheel it only?

I mean if you are idling and crawling slowly over hurdles in the trail, because if the torque of it doesn't take any more juice than driving on the street, 300 miles is pretty good. You can spend all day wheeling an 20 mile each way trail. That is 40 miles for the whole day. If you trailer your electric jeep to the trails. I would really love not having to worry about running out of gas or have to carry extra gas. Then get back to camp, and charge it with a generator maybe?

Is there some kind of transmission between the motor and T/C, or is it direct drive?
It seems pretty jerky if it is just on or off, kinda like an automatic trans driven by a one foot driver.
I was wondering the same thing. The motor could co straight to the transfer case and the direction could be controlled by the motor controller, or you could hook it to a manual and have selective gear ratio control. It wouldn’t have any of the drawbacks of using a five speed on the trail as well.
An automatic would be a waste for an electric drivetrain.