Water Leaks Into Cab

DonW

My 2005 TJ two door with hard top leaks under the passenger seat next to the Jack handle tie dow. I’ve found the leak point into the cab, but can’t find the exterior source. The door is tight and shows no signs of water inside the seal. The photos show the entry point. I need to do some detective work when it dries out. The driver side has a similar geometry except the place I noted a gap in the photo is tight together and is dry. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

629F8D8E-CC63-4652-9737-B4230FB8C480.jpeg

B53E390F-70D3-4489-98F3-C4478A7F4E39.jpeg

FEBDD92C-2D77-438F-8517-48A984F792F5.jpeg

Looks like it's probably washing in between panels from the rear. The seam looks like it may have moved since factory assembly, was the jeep ever hit?

Looks like it's probably washing in between panels from the rear. The seam looks like it may have moved since factory assembly, was the jeep ever hit?
Thanks for replying. The body and frame are straight, but I’m the third owner so it’s possible. Any idea where in the rear I should look?

I'd try looking at the opposite side back from that inner seam. Looking at the picture of your Jeep, there is a slight chance that maybe it could be coming from the fender area too... hard to say. You might be able to get some water soluble UV dye, and try washing it into that seam where the leak is, and look for it outside.

If that's happening while the Jeep is sitting in the rain, it's coming from somewhere above that. Your best bet is to get out the garden hose and start the water flowing really low on the outside and work your way up while watching the inside. If it's happening while driving you'll probably want to start with the hose underneath, then work your way up. Having someone watching from the inside while you do the hose work should help.

Thanks for all the advice. The leak occurs when it’s sitting in the rain. I park it with the front slightly downhill. It’s raining today so I’ll turn it around and look for water. If it’s dry, then the leak is from somewhere to the rear. I’ll check the port under the rear fender. Thanks again!

Thought I'd give you an update on my water leak. Thanks to the advice above, I found the leak! Water is intruding from behind the right rear fender flare. There is a small gap between the flare and the body (see pic) and when I pour water down the side of the TJ, it comes running into the cab behind the passenger door. The offending leak is around the lower right bolt location under the flare. For a simple test, I sealed the gap with electrical tape and rained water over the fender, no leak. It's also been rainy and the floor is dry.
I tried removing the flare to get a good look, but the bolts spin and don't retract. The flare is on tight so it's fine for driving. Any ideas about removing the spinning bolts? What type of nuts are used?
Thanks again to this site.

9F792F87-565C-49E1-BA42-B8CABCC450B1_1_201_a.jpeg