Water on floor: Is something missing?

woody367

TJ Enthusiast
So I keep getting water on the passenger side floor.I was reading that it might be from a clogged drain in the cowl and running in the fresh air went. When I took off the cowl cover I found the vent wide open. Is this correct or should there be a cover over it and where is the drain? See photo.

mng.png

I do believe mine has a plastic air box on top of the opening w an air inlet on it to keep the air intake point higher to keep water out. Perhaps someone will chime in to confirm as I'm not near my jeep, or stop by the jeep dealership and have them pull up the parts diagram.
Drain is that oval port center of the jeepmright below the wiper motor I can see it far right in your picture.

I have been looking online and see a cover and I guess it may have a fresh air filter in ther. Not sure if all have it or just ones with a/c., Mine only has heat. I am looking on eBay for the cover but haven.t found any yet, not sure what the correct name for it is.

What I have in my TJ, and maybe all of them from the factory, is a black plastic block shaped "box" that you can't see straight down through. If I remember correctly the top of it overhangs on one end and the air gets sucked in from the upper part of that side, kinda like a ventshade.

I tried looking up Jeep TJ cabin air intake. Based on the weird random pics I found, none of which show what I just described, I guess it's not exactly the correct term.

What I have in my TJ, and maybe all of them from the factory, is a black plastic block shaped "box" that you can't see straight down through. If I remember correctly the top of it overhangs on one end and the air gets sucked in from the upper part of that side, kinda like a ventshade.

I tried looking up Jeep TJ cabin air intake. Based on the weird random pics I found, none of which show what I just described, I guess it's not exactly the correct term.

That is what I have seen but can not find it anywhere nor figure out exactly what it is call to look for it. Is there suppose to be a filter there if a cover was on?

I just did the heater box in my 97 TJ, and when I reinstalled it I forgot to put that fresh air duct back in. Caused me to practically pull the box out again to get it installed. I believe the piece you are missing is #6 in this picture.76092

That is what I have seen but can not find it anywhere nor figure out exactly what it is call to look for it. Is there suppose to be a filter there if a cover was on?

I never even thought about a filter but from what I've seen earlier today, if there is one it's behind (actually in front of) the glove box.

I just did the heater box in my 97 TJ, and when I reinstalled it I forgot to put that fresh air duct back in. Caused me to practically pull the box out again to get it installed. I believe the piece you are missing is #6 in this picture.View attachment 76092

Sorry to hear about you leaving #6 (?) out. I'd say what I was posting about would be tagged as #8 if it was on that drawing but now thanks to seeing that drawing woody267 might be missing #7 also.

Reactions: DaYooperTransplant
After looking at the pic I believe #6 and #7 b might just be what I am missing. Are there part #;s that go with that pic or does anyone have a spare to sell? Finding the part@ and where to get it will be the next challenge.
I have been posting many questions on this site and would be lost without the knowledge and help the this great group. Thank you.

Reactions: Jed57
I have the same issue as OP: a big hole where the vent/duct is on the passenger side and water dripping on the floor when driving in the rain. Not sure if the two are related, but it seems suspicious. I cleaned out the center drain and all looks good but the leak is still there. I found this fresh air intake duct cover on eBay, but it's for every year TJ except for 1998, which of course is the year I have. The listing just says "NOTE: Will not work for 1998. 1998 models don't use this." Anyone know what, if anything, is supposed to cover this hole on a '98? Thanks!

This site contains affiliate links for which Jeep Wrangler TJ Forum may be compensated.
So I know I started this post 2 years ago but my water leak continues. So I put on the fresh air intake and sealed it down with silicon. The cowl drain is clear and I used flexseal on any seam. After 2 days of rain, I went to use the TJ and when the fan came on it was splashing water that is sitting in nthe duct and it is alot. WHERE is this coming from? It is dripping on my fuse box.