Water outlet gasket, use sealer or no?

twistedlv

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Getting ready to replace my radiator and do a general cooling system overhaul (sans water pump). Got a new water outlet, and as the title says, I'm not sure what if any gasket sealer to use on the gasket.

What are you calling water outlet? Gaskets are the way to go on the cooling system.
Thermostat housing. It has a gasket, but there is always some debate as to what kind of sealer may or may not be necessary. It's one of those thick paper style gaskets.

I didnt use anything on the thermostat gasket (fel-pro) but if you choose to, use the permatex high tack spray-a-gasket sealant (aerosol). It doesnt ever harden and worked great on my water pump and timing cover gaskets.

Reactions: twistedlv
Thermostat housing. It has a gasket, but there is always some debate as to what kind of sealer may or may not be necessary. It's one of those thick paper style gaskets.
Paper gaskets work fine/great, that's what the factory uses. I cut an emergency thermostat housing gasket out of a cardboard MRE box on the trail and it worked perfectly fine, no leaks. I didn't bother replacing it for several months

Reactions: twistedlv
I try to never put sealant on the engine side of a paper gasket. Makes it harder to clean off later, but I generally use a very light coat of permatex on the (in this case) housing side.

Dont put anything on the gasket. Just make sure the surface of the block is 100% clean. The smallest piece of debris will cause it to leak. I went at mine for well over an hour carefully with a razor blade and wire brush.

The threads on my thermostat housing pass into the coolant passages, if I don't seal the threads it leaks. I guess some people don't have this problem but I have forgotten a few times and had leaks. The factory service manual specifically says "the gasket is installed dry" but the factory gasket has a silicone bead facing the water pump or housing. If your replacement gasket doesn't have the bead I don't think it could hurt to follow the advice given by @Goatman.