Water Pooling Under Dash

Tahdig_siah

TJ Enthusiast
The cowl is all cleaned out. I took a couple of photos and drew arrows of where the leak is. How would you fix this?

IMG_4932.jpeg

IMG_4933.jpeg

IMG_4931.jpeg

I could flex seal around the plastic knob but the second location looks to be a foam gasket, I don't think i can seal that well.

I could flex seal around the plastic knob but the second location looks to be a foam gasket, I don't think i can seal that well.

That was mostly a joke. Chances are the foam seal between the HVAC box, and the firewall is degraded enough to allow water to go through. You could replace the gasket, but that would be pulling the dash to be able to pull the box. I think a weather sealing rubberized tape along the top edge (or even around the whole opening in the engine bay) would prevent water from coming in.

You might try a dye to see exactly where your water is entering from the outside, and seal that area up.

Reactions: Tahdig_siah
That was mostly a joke. Chances are the foam seal between the HVAC box, and the firewall is degraded enough to allow water to go through. You could replace the gasket, but that would be pulling the dash to be able to pull the box. I think a weather sealing rubberized tape along the top edge (or even around the whole opening in the engine bay) would prevent water from coming in.

You might try a dye to see exactly where your water is entering from the outside, and seal that area up.
You mentioned around opening in the engine bay. Where would this be you think?

Where the HVAC box passes into the engine bay... should be just to the side of the ECU, behind the battery. I'd use a hose on low pressure to verify exactly where the leaks are, and seal those places from the outside, to prevent moisture from collecting behind a panel.

Reactions: Tahdig_siah
*******************************SOLVED**************************

I wanted to post a reply to my own thread and thank everyone who helped. I also wanted to show how I fixed so it can help others having the same issue.
I used Duct Seal paste and Flex Tape (made by Gorilla Glue), the arrows show where I applied them after removing the battery. Finally the passenger side footwell is leak free!
Leak fix.jpg