Waterproofing the 32RH transmission vent

JDM

TJ Enthusiast
Lifetime Supporting Member
I just finished installing a vent on the top of the case and plugging the front pump vent of my 32rh transmission . I often have to go through water on the trails I frequent and would really like to avoid killing my transmission .

I was thinking of tig welding a bung in the transmission dipstick tube a couple inches down from the top . I could then screw in a 90 degree male npt to hose barb fitting . This would return any fluid that might burp from the vent back to the transmission .
Any thoughts why this wouldn’t be a good plan ?

I can’t think of any reason why that wouldn’t be a workable idea, if you have those skills.

I relocated my vent to the top as well, but I believe I isolated the cause of the burping to be a low spot in my vent hose that was allowing fluid to stay in the hose and therefore prevent it from actually breathing. Once I fixed the hose routing such that there was no low point for it to collect, the problem went away.

Thanks for your reply . I drilled and tapped mine right above the band just like you .

Thanks for your reply . I drilled and tapped mine right above the band just like you .

interested to know if you have any puking problems, and if vent tube routing actually is the root cause.