• Want to add an app icon for this forum to your mobile device's home screen? Check out this thread to see how.
  • Have an event you want to share? Check out the new forum event calendar and how-to use it in this thread here.
  • To both new members and existing members, please read this thread about posting your topics in the correct sub-forum. It makes my job (and my life) a lot easier!

Weigh in on a bar discussion... Braking

tquig01

TJ Enthusiast
Mar 12, 2018
Brewerton, NY, USA
Actually, if you look at the formula for kinetic to thermal energy associated with friction braking, it doesn't seem to make a difference since less distance would mean more force and more force would mean more distance. Both would still have the same result:

https://energyeducation.ca/encyclopedia/Braking
Exactly what I was going to say! You beat me to it.

To add to this, while the braking results would be the same, perhaps the real difference would be the accelerated life of the braking fluid itself. Harder braking = more pressure = more heat = faster breakdown of fluid.

Edit #2: Agreeing with you twice in one day - something must be wrong with me!! lmao

Last edited:
Reactions: Equilibrium31

Equilibrium31

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2018
Burnsville, MN, USA
Exactly what I was going to say! You beat me to it.

To add to this, while the braking results would be the same, perhaps the real difference would be the accelerated life of the braking fluid itself. Harder braking = more pressure = more heat = faster breakdown of fluid.

Edit #2: Agreeing with you twice in one day - something must be wrong with me!! lmao
Don't worry. Tomorrow's a new day. ;)

Reactions: tquig01