Welding Tank / Gas

tworley

Ignored :(
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Where do you buy your tank? Do you buy them empty to get filled? Or do you lease/rent them already filled from your supplier?

I went to General Air Supply and to lease/rent a 92cu tank plus C25 was $387. The gas itself was a little over $110. I knew it was going to be expensive, but if I can save a little buying my own tank then maybe I would consider that route. Just curious what you all prefer.

I bought the tank from my supplier ($225). That expense made me think about buying one from someone on Marketplace for cheaper. I haven't done it yet because when I return the tank permanently I receive money back. I also decided I'd need to ask my supplier how they handle filling a tank that I bring in because every time I go in for a fill they just exchange the tanks, and I wouldn't want to drop off my tank and have to make another trip to pick it up. I'm sure they have a procedure. I haven't contacted my supplier yet to find out what it is.

Last edited:
I buy the tank at Matheson filled the first time and I get a large one because the fill cost isn't much different for the larger tank, never mind the pain to bring in the tank. When I go in to refill, I pretty much pick from many tanks that are like new with a fresh certification date.

Edit: I use 150's

Last edited:
I purchased mine 152 CF for $282.89.

They now cost $305.58, cylinder exchange is $61.36 here.

I have three tanks - N2 for shocks, 75/25 for MIG, and Ar for TIG. All I bought because rental is just too high for me. I bought one decades ago with my MIG machine, and the other two were purchased in the last few years online much cheaper than the local guys. One came full and one was empty and I did an exchange locally for a full one.

I bought an 80 and a 40 off Craigslist years ago and I just usually exchange but last time I went to another place and they refilled the 80 for around $60. I keep two so when one runs out on a Sunday I have a backup, and they always run out on a Sunday. I heard on the welding forum that there is a C02 shortage:mad: what else is new?

I bought my 2 tanks from Ox/Arc and then exchange them for a filled tank as needed. It was the most cost-effective option for me.

I am shopping around. Looks like prices are fairly similar across the board. One company says it can ship via fedex a 125cu Full, for $369 (or 80cu for $315). Leaning towards this route.

I don't know where you've shopped online, but I ended up getting my 125cf Argon tank (filled) from WeldFabulous.com for $361 shipped, and my 20cf Nitrogen tank (empty) from GasCylinderSource.com for $101 shipped. Hope that helps!

Reactions: tworley
Unless I misunderstood the guy at General Air Supply, he said they cannot take tanks with no labeling. Maybe they dont check regularly though...

The stamping on bottle showing certification date, bottle size and type which should be all they need. They'll put a label on with whatever it's filled with or swap it with a filled one. I suppose every supplier has their own requirements but no bottle comes with a label from new.

Reactions: tworley
I've purchased my tanks (100%argon, 75/25 Ar/CO2, O2, and acetylene). I get the full size 200+ cu ft. It's been a good decision financially. I've had them for years. The rent just adds up.

I bought them from a local welding supply that fills them. I found that to be more economical than the commercial gas suppliers. When I'm done they'll buy them back.

Last edited:
Reactions: tworley and JMT
I went to my local welding supply house and purchased the tank full of 75/25. I looked for good deals and used tanks but it didn't pencil out. If you buy a used tank it has to be inspected and tested every so many years. It's one of those buy once cry once things

Ive been looking for used tanks but havent had much luck. The nearest Air Gas Supply will only lease a 80+cu tank, so agree that it makes more sense to buy one. Ill likely go thru weldfabulous here soon

Reactions: P man
Each gas company seems to have their own policies about what tanks they'll fill. I recommend making sure that they'll be willing to fill the tanks that you buy before buying them. In my area, there are a few companies that will only fill a leased tank or one that was purchased from them. One of them (the welding supply vs. the commercial gas companies) has a considerably more lenient approach as to what tanks it is willing to fill.

Bought all my gas welding and MIG cylinders from a local supplier. In the grand scheme of things the difference in price over the years I’ve owned my 6 cylinders makes little difference. What matters is the service I get from my supplier that I’ve dealt with for 30+ yrs. I’ve never had to pay extra for an out of date cylinder. I do make sure my replacement cylinders are not going to expire in less than 3 yrs. I my opinion the dealer is the most important consideration.

I ended up getting a full 125cu thru weldfabulous. Prices were similar everywhere I looked, this was delivered to my door, and the local WS said they'll fill it.