Westminster Transmission and Mrblaine saved me $3000!

Moab

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
So I've had my Jeep at 4 different transmission shops. That all said it needed to be rebuilt. To the tune of $2500-$3500.

Mrblaine
was nice enough to refer me to Joe at Westminster Transmission Service in Westminster CA. And I am blown away by what happened in about 15 minutes today.

I took my Jeep to see Joe the owner. He took it for a 5 minute test drive. Came back and adjusted the linkage between my transmission and engine. And completely fixed my Jeep! Refused to take any payment. And is easily the best transmission mechanic and person that I've ever met. And he wouldn't take a dime. So I'm singing his praises on here and everywhere else I can online. As well as mrblaine! Thank you so much for the referral.

I've got a kid in college. And could not afford a new transmission. And it's been weighing on me heavily for over two months now. Ever since I purchased the Jeep and had it inspected at the dealership. Who missed the issue entirely. Time and again I went to different shops that obviously tried to scam me into paying for a new transmission. When it was nothing more than the linkage between the engine and transmission.

I can't tell you how much better I feel. And how much better my Jeep drives. It's like I'm getting to drive it for the first time. I actually have 2nd gear now. And a passing gear. And it's fast as shit compared to the lame lack of pick up it had shifting into 3rd to early. And it had no passing gear. I didn't even know it had a passing gear. Which I assume isn't an actual 4th gear. (I have a 32RH AT 3 speed.) But a downshift that allows more power. Maybe someone can clear that up for me?

Anyway. Thank you to mrblaine. Who has been a guiding mentor to me on this forum. You've helped me out so many times. I can't wait to drive out and meet you in person one day. Your a scholar and a gentleman! And the world is a better place for it. Because of guys like you and Joe. Thanks again.

Blaine is definitely a master with Jeeps. Having become friends with him, I would say he is a true honest gentleman.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I should add, Jerry, backed up his recommendation to Joe too. Thanks to all you guys here. That listen to my stupid questions and continue to help me and others out. This is a "good" forum. There are very few of those on the internet. Which speaks not only to its members but Chris too.

Yup, it's really hard to put into words and put a price on what you can save by reading here about someone else taking a financial hit or ending up with bloody knuckles doing something prior to you doing it and not making the same mistakes. Priceless indeed and extremely grateful.

Reactions: Red Dog
So I've had my Jeep at 4 different transmission shops. That all said it needed to be rebuilt. To the tune of $2500-$3500.

Mrblaine
was nice enough to refer me to Joe at Westminster Transmission Service in Westminster CA. And I am blown away by what happened in about 15 minutes today.

I took my Jeep to see Joe the owner. He took it for a 5 minute test drive. Came back and adjusted the linkage between my transmission and engine. And completely fixed my Jeep! Refused to take any payment. And is easily the best transmission mechanic and person that I've ever met. And he wouldn't take a dime. So I'm singing his praises on here and everywhere else I can online. As well as mrblaine! Thank you so much for the referral.

I've got a kid in college. And could not afford a new transmission. And it's been weighing on me heavily for over two months now. Ever since I purchased the Jeep and had it inspected at the dealership. Who missed the issue entirely. Time and again I went to different shops that obviously tried to scam me into paying for a new transmission. When it was nothing more than the linkage between the engine and transmission.

I can't tell you how much better I feel. And how much better my Jeep drives. It's like I'm getting to drive it for the first time. I actually have 2nd gear now. And a passing gear. And it's fast as shit compared to the lame lack of pick up it had shifting into 3rd to early. And it had no passing gear. I didn't even know it had a passing gear. Which I assume isn't an actual 4th gear. (I have a 32RH AT 3 speed.) But a downshift that allows more power. Maybe someone can clear that up for me?

Anyway. Thank you to mrblaine. Who has been a guiding mentor to me on this forum. You've helped me out so many times. I can't wait to drive out and meet you in person one day. Your a scholar and a gentleman! And the world is a better place for it. Because of guys like you and Joe. Thanks again.
Joe is the best, that is why we use him.

"Passing gear" is just a downshift to 2nd with that trans. It is controlled by how far the TV cable is moved with the throttle linkage. The TV cable also ups the pressure to the governor and should be adjusted slightly when you put on larger tires to hold it in each gear a bit longer.

You may watch the RPM closely enough to see what appears to be 4 gears, the last one is the torque convertor locking up with a slight drop in RPM.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
That's great news, I was waiting to read what happened with your transmission there and glad I also recommended Westminster transmission to you. How cool it just needed a minor adjustment. That adjustment was on the TV cable where it connects to the throttle body and not the shifter cable right?

Last edited:
That's great news, I was waiting to read what happened with your transmission there. How cool it just needed a minor adjustment. That adjustment was on the TV cable where it connects to the throttle body and not the shifter cable right?

I'm not really sure. It was a wire cable encased in black plastic held on with a square white plastic fitting that he loosened to adjust. To the right side of the top of the valve cover. I'd have to go look at it to tell where it connected. I was so preoccupied with winning or losing the lottery on this. I wasn't really paying attention to anything but his face. Just to get an idea of what he was thinking. Was I gonna walk away with a $300 repair or was I gonna have to find 3 grand someplace?

He literally took one drive around the block. Came back and pulled a small flat head screwdriver out of his breast pocket. Adjusted the cable on the engine side, adjusted (and maybe even attached IIRC) the cable on the trans side. And asked me to go for a test drive with him. "To make sure the gears were shifting the way I liked them.". As we were driving around the block and he punched it. Making it go faster than I ever had since purchasing it. All I said was "You adjust it how you like it. I value your knowledge on this subject way more than my own.". Which was an understatement.

He probably thinks I'm crazy. Cause after riding in it for like 30 seconds. I was so blown away and happy that I wasn't there to purchase a $3000 transmission and install. That I literally started laughing and praising his abilities at the same time. It was a fun ride. :) I was again, blown away. As you may recall my son is in a very expensive college in NY. And I have been so stressed out about this for months. I can't tell you how relieved I was. To have that lifted from my shoulders was a godsend.

It's funny because I run my own companies this way too. It's just so much easier to be honest and up front. And it's never failed me. I sleep good at night. And I've always been successful. Lying and scamming people just causes to much stress. Life is to short. It's amazing to meet other people like this. Such a great feeling.

But I think that experience of knowing people and always being honest. Helps me identify scammers from a block away. EVERY single guy I took this too was a scammer. In one way or another. And thankfully I trusted my gut and suspicions. But to go to 4 different places and have the same scam experience was daunting.

It was sad. And brutal. I think about all those single mothers out there. With no knowledge base like we have here. That just get stuck with a life altering bill. That could very easily ruin them. Pissed me off actually. Once I get some more time I'm going to not only write great reviews for Joe. But I'm going to make sure everyone knows the names of all the places that tried to scam me. What has the world become? I remember a time not long ago. When someone would be run out of town for this type of behavior. But in todays age it's almost expected. Sad really.

Cool.. now lets go wheeling and celebrate!

My wife and I are taking a trip up the coast next weekend for her birthday and Valentines. :) Should be fun. Would be cool to make it to Pismo Beach. I passed thru there on my way into LA when I first moved here over 25 years ago. I was to chicken (and wise) to try and ford the creek with my Suzuki Samurai. But it would be cool to drive on the beach. If they still let you do that there.

I'm not really sure. It was a wire cable encased in black plastic held on with a square white plastic fitting that he loosened to adjust. To the right side of the top of the valve cover.
Yes that was the TV (throttle valve) cable. It serves to help control the shift points and it also serves as the kickdown cable for when you step hard on the gas pedal to cause the transmission to downshift into 2nd/passing gear.

This is great information regarding the TV cable. I was reading a thread just yesterday regarding re gearing and how the 42RLE transmission shifting into third and overdrive was still a problem. I experience this with mine even tho I am now running 5:13s. Could a TV cable adjustment resolve this issue?

This is great information regarding the TV cable. I was reading a thread just yesterday regarding re gearing and how the 42RLE transmission shifting into third and overdrive was still a problem. I experience this with mine even tho I am now running 5:13s. Could a TV cable adjustment resolve this issue?
No, the 42RLE doesn't have a TV cable... it's all electronic and computerized. What size tires are you running? Have you checked its ATF level, making sure the engine is running while checking its level?

No, the 42RLE doesn't have a TV cable... it's all electronic and computerized. What size tires are you running? Have you checked its ATF level, making sure the engine is running while checking its level?
Well that makes sense. Yes sir. Running 33s. Transmission is full. It is much better than it was, but still shifts early. I have the Blue Monkey speed adjuster on it that I have verified with Waze. Don’t know if that has anything to do with it or not.

Very nice! I love this forum and all the help it has given me both directly and indirectly. What a great feeling it must have been on that test drive! I’m so happy for you!