Wet / Dry Vac Recommendations

tworley

Ignored :(
Supporting Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Looking for a new wet/dry vacuum. My old 12 gallon craftsman will no longer turn on. Could probably go with a smaller size. Any recommendations? General garage use; dust, sawdust, metal shavings, grass, etc..one man show.

X3 on RIDGID

I've got a RIDGID 6.5hp 16 gallon unit that I've had for close to ten years. If I were buying today, I would probably look into the Milwaukee 18v dual battery wet/dry vac. However, they are at a significantly higher price point.

Reactions: tworley
I also got the Ryobi 3 gal cordless for ~$45 and it’s the definition of “fine”. Its better than then using the house vacuum for small messes, great for quick cleaning the cars or projects but it doesn’t compare to corded.

My wife got me the 12V version. It gets better reviews than the 18 and does work well. Handy!

For the OP I've never here a bad thing about the Rigid Vacs.

Didn’t even know they had that one. I like that it has a wall hanger. Trying to clear floor space.

All the Rigid votes surprise me. I do like that price point...

Agree on size, my current 12 gallon is big and takes up a lot of garage space, I could probably get by with half that, or maybe a 9 gal. I have a small 2.5 gal Stinger but dislike it. It fills fast and doesn't have near the power my craftsman did.

Milwaukee, I'll have to review. The price stings a bit but I do like the Milwaukee quality.

Didn’t even know they had that one. I like that it has a wall hanger. Trying to clear floor space.

Read the reviews on the 12V before you choose.

@tworley when we were remodeling our house I had a shop-vac brand. Heating contractor was drilling a core thru a concrete beam and had the vacuum picking up the cement dust and the vac caught on fire, had to toss it out in the yard.

Went and bought a Stihl shop vac. Its a great vac but too damn nice if you know what I mean. It's still in the house! Can't get it too dirty.

My Ridgid has been solid, but it is very loud (enough that I wear hearing protection for longer runtimes). When it dies, I’ll choose something quieter.

Read the reviews on the 12V before you choose.

Did those reviews compare it to the M18 fuel packout version or the older version.

A couple vids show the packout doing better.

And I’m getting a shipment of packout stuff this week so I’m kinda going down that road and I’m leaning that way.

Did those reviews compare it to the M18 fuel packout version or the older version.

A couple vids show the packout doing better.

And I’m getting a shipment of packout stuff this week so I’m kinda going down that road and I’m leaning that way.

Reviews were most likely the for the previous M18 version. The M12 version came out over a year ago.

Reactions: Apparition
I have a Rigid that I used to use all the time until I bought the M18 2.5 gallon. Now 9 out of 10 times I just grab the cordless 2.5 gallon and it works great. Heck, I think I actually clean up more often because the Milwaukee is so handy.

That 1 out of 10 times the smaller hose size on the 2.5 gallon becomes an issue and I am too stupid to just stop and go get the rigid from the get go, so I clog the hose on the cordless, then I have trouble getting the hose unplugged to unclog it, then when I get it unclogged, I try it again even though I know what the end result will be and after repeating that a few times, I go get the rigid and the extension cord.

If you only need it for dirt, dust, metal shavings, vacuuming out the car, small debris, etc..... the smaller 2.5 gallon cordless is the way to go and I have praises for the M18. If you are going to be using it in a more industrial situation or for picking up larger items or items that tend to clog up a hose (end cuts off of drywall, leaves, etc...), then get an electric with a larger diameter hose so it doesn't clog.

I have a cheap 6 gallon from Walmart and it's been good so far. Only had it less than a year but has a few hours on it from my blast cabinet.

12 Gal is too big. I would get the smallest size vac that takes a full size filter. 5 or 6 gallon.

Make sure to get a cartidge filter. Some vacuums only come with a cheap cloth filter bag.

I don't think the HP rating makes a difference.

Hose size over 2" is too big to be comfortable to use.