What’s your favorite brake rotor?

Chris2004

It’s time to replace my 2004’s front brake rotors. Is there an upgrade that has proven to be better? Is there a pad/rotor combo that is more than just high-tech looking, but actually has better longevity or performance?

It’s time to replace my 2004’s front brake rotors. Is there an upgrade that has proven to be better? Is there a pad/rotor combo that is more than just high-tech looking, but actually has better longevity or performance?
My favorite would be any made onshore. Given the way the supply chain has been obliterated and the exorbitant costs with extraordinarily long lead times to get a container over here now, I am extremely hopeful that this bullshit provides onshore manufacturers the incentive to start up again and get us the excellent quality we desire at competitive prices.

Having just had the Black Magic Brakes big brake kit installed by the guru himself, I can honestly say this is my favorite upgrade so far. The components are all first rate and now allow my TJ with 33” tires to stop on a dime. Incredible product and more importantly backed by someone who understands the science behind it all.

Mr. Blaine also happens to be a true gentleman.

Having just had the Black Magic Brakes big brake kit installed by the guru himself, I can honestly say this is my favorite upgrade so far. The components are all first rate and now allow my TJ with 33” tires to stop on a dime. Incredible product and more importantly backed by someone who understands the science behind it all.

Mr. Blaine also happens to be a true gentleman.
I can agree with everything you say, but your last statement may be somewhat questionable. ;)

My apologies for dredging up an old post but this seemed like a good place to ask for brake info. My TJ is mostly stock with 31s on it, as I have the 2.5L I have no plans to go with a larger tire. I'm planning on ordering parts to replace the rotors and front pads, then do the rear drums. Would something that matches OE be acceptable or do I really need to do an upgrade? I was looking at the Bosch QuietCast rotors but honestly don't know what advantages, if any they provide over the cheaper options.

My apologies for dredging up an old post but this seemed like a good place to ask for brake info. My TJ is mostly stock with 31s on it, as I have the 2.5L I have no plans to go with a larger tire. I'm planning on ordering parts to replace the rotors and front pads, then do the rear drums. Would something that matches OE be acceptable or do I really need to do an upgrade? I was looking at the Bosch QuietCast rotors but honestly don't know what advantages, if any they provide over the cheaper options.
Black Magic Brakes pads are the choice for drivers who brake aggressively, drive in mountainous terrain, tow or have a heavier than stock TJ. If you don't tick any of those boxes OEM replacement will do. A quality OEM replacement rotor is fine for all conditions. Having said all that, braking is one of the last places I'll look to save a buck.

Reactions: Irun
I vote for BMB regardless of use unless you will refuse to use them as they are supposed to be used which is about the worst case scenario for them. Put another way, anyone who does long coasting stops and refuses to change that behavior should look to something else. Literally any other use case, they are the best choice and you don't even have to use them that hard to keep them in good shape, just wait to brake until you get closer to the light or stop sign. At the end of the day, $125 on brake pads really does not cost you much more than a cheap set of brake pads for the amount of time you would run either of them, and you never know when you might need more than "adequate" brakes.

Personally I would stick with standard rotors and pads in your case.

I would be concerned with the BMB pads being too aggressive for a lighter TJ, and that they might not stay broken in as a result. Glaze them over due to underuse and the braking performance suffers as a result.

Blaine sent me a set of Posi-Quiet pads to use with his big brake kit at one point (I was still on 31s with a Super 16 big brake kit). Those might be a good choice for your scenario. Centric rotors or something similar should be fine.

Metallic brake pads (like you might find on a fleet car or pickup) might also not be a bad option. I run those on my F150. Noisier, but long lasting and halfway decent performance. Probably cheaper than ceramic pads.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sancho
Thanks for the replies. For some reason I can't find a "like" button so this will have to suffice. :) I'm looking through the forums right now but will go ahead and ask here as well. Is the conversion to rear discs worth the expense and effort? If I go that route do I need to change the Master Cylinder monad/or reservoir?