What are some good rear sway bars?

I know that I could stand to go stiffer on both ends. But for most, even for me, I suspect the benefits of changing out the rear once the front is done is well past the point of diminishing returns.
I’d love to see the real world testing differences. I feel as though many of the modifications I make now are small improvements, as you know. I’m sure there are those who have tested going a little stiffer and I’d love to hear feedback.

I have a roof rack with a rooftop tent mounted on it so I need something heavier than stock. I bought a Helwig heavy duty it's a 3 position. The easiest position is equivalent to stock. I noticed a sexgreat improvement in body roll just by running on the medium position

I have Hellwig's model 7684 .75" rear sway bar. The outermost link position is stiffer than stock, and it balances road handling when the front anti-rock is on its softest setting, or without a front sway bar altogether.

I’d love to see the real world testing differences
it'll never happen. You'd need independent testing, maybe like Tom McCahill in Mechanix Illustrated 50 years ago. Won't happen today because advertising rules who wins. I had the same question on all the big brake options.... for Wranglers or Mustangs.... makes no difference. Years ago Jp Mag started a series testing big brakes..... they no longer exist. There will never be independent testing of aftermarket auto parts. AND if there is, you can bet the winner has the most ads.

Jp was my favourite mag 15 years ago.... obviously
DSC_0059_2.jpeg

You want to see real world testing, go watch the racing, competitions and decide who runs what to win. The world we live in as wheelers is ALL ego and marketing. There are several individuals on this forum with real world experience. It takes a while to learn who to trust, and you need to decide if what they do fits your objectives or budget. There are several correct answers to every question. We are a fringe. There will never be definitive answers to any questions. Just ideas to interpret.

Last edited:
I have Hellwig's model 7684 .75" rear sway bar. The outermost link position is stiffer than stock, and it balances road handling when the front anti-rock is on its softest setting, or without a front sway bar altogether.
So why not just stay stock??? Why change the factory engineered front sway bar to the softer Currie AntiRock if you are just going to lose that advantage with a stiffer real bar. Go Currie front, Currie rear and keep the engineered balance....... or stay stock.

Reactions: Blondie70
I have a roof rack with a rooftop tent mounted on it so I need something heavier than stock. I bought a Helwig heavy duty it's a 3 position. The easiest position is equivalent to stock. I noticed a great improvement in body roll just by running on the medium position
THIS ^^^ it is all about what you are doing. No one can give the right answer if the data input is incomplete.
So a top heavy load plus the extended LJ wheelbase.

I run my currie antirock in the front on the softest setting and it balances great with the factory rear bar. I did replace all the slightly worn factory rubber bushings in the rear with poly and it made a noticeable difference over bumps.

So why not just stay stock??? Why change the factory engineered front sway bar to the softer Currie AntiRock if you are just going to lose that advantage with a stiffer real bar. Go Currie front, Currie rear and keep the engineered balance....... or stay stock.
My shocks do a better job managing fast wheel & axle dynamics than the stock front sway bar. An advantage of Currie's rear bar is greater travel arc, and no hoop to get in the way. It is not very stiff. If I had the money I would have installed a GenRight rear bar, which is stiff. Hellwig's bar is an okay alternative.

The Jeep engineers chose a stiff front swaybar, to keep the rear wheels planted while cornering in the wet, and create understeer. Much of the general population thinks understeer is somehow safer. My concept of balance is on the oversteer side of neutral.

Currie rear is here will be on Monday I’ll make an update to how they both work together. The reason I did go Currie front and rear is since I lowered my Jeep from 6” to 4” I’ve had a lot of trouble with body roll and with stock sway bars not much you can change to stiffen that up. My Currie front it set to the second softest setting and I had fixed a lot of the body roll but now there’s a lot in the rear. It maybe a softer ride with Currie but in my opinion it reduced the body roll drastically

THIS ^^^ it is all about what you are doing. No one can give the right answer if the data input is incomplete.
So a top heavy load plus the extended LJ wheelbase.
The reason I posted my experience was to share the result of my rather extreme need for a heavier ASB. Simply stating it really helped my situation. This input may be valuable anybody looking at this thread. Isnt that what this forum is all about?Being on a LJ I felt my experience is somewhat relevant info.

Reactions: Blondie70
What are some good rear sway bars out there that would pair with the Currie front anti Rlock I just put on my Jeep. Was considering putting on a Currie rear antirock but didn’t really want to cut things. What else is good heavy duty. I have a full traction rear sway bar right now but since putting on the Currie it seems to be real soft causing body roll In the rear. The front is now feeling better.
I have an LJ with a 4 inch lift. The previous older put a skyjacker lift on which has soft springs. Too soft. He puts stiffer ones in the rear and now the rear is too stiff, especially with my curry anti-rock up front. If yours is too soft I'm thinking your springs are too soft which is the opposite of mine which are too stiff. I am thinking about replacing my rear coils. Some of my buddies that have quality lifts versus the crappy one that I do have a much better ride.

I

I really like the antirock ride such a nice one. I’m went ahead and ordered the rear antirock sway bar kit.
Fitzpatrick, how is the rear anti-rock sway bar working out? I am considering more for highway travel when load up with camp gear. Any comment on and off road you notice appreciated. dan

Fitzpatrick, how is the rear anti-rock sway bar working out? I am considering more for highway travel when load up with camp gear. Any comment on and off road you notice appreciated. Dan
For that I'd stay with the factory rear antiswaybar which is, if anything, slightly stiffer. I run an Antirock up front but decided years ago to stay with the factory in the rear. Stiffer rather than softer shocks work better for a loaded Jeep. If there's any sagging in the rear, either lighten up on the camping gear or go with higher spring-rate springs.

Thanks. Sway bar removed by po. So blank slate. Looking to reduce the shimmy sway on highway, so weight comment more about being heavy w tools, cooler and recovery gear not usually carried.

Ps i am working with a off road shop, so relying on their to come suggestion. Just trying to learn as it seems lots of misinformation on having vs not.

Thanks. Sway bar removed by po. So blank slate. Looking to reduce the shimmy sway on highway, so weight comment more about being heavy w tools, cooler and recovery gear not usually carried.
I'd buy a used factory TJ rear antiswaybar on eBay or from Davey's Jeep parts, make sure it includes the two mounting brackets, the bolts, and links. The PO didn't know what he was doing when he removed the rear antiswaybar, the TJ's coil spring suspension needs them front and rear.

Reactions: Bkspear
Fitzpatrick, how is the rear anti-rock sway bar working out? I am considering more for highway travel when load up with camp gear. Any comment on and off road you notice appreciated. dan
I actually really like the ride quality of it to me it seems normal on road slightly less body roll but of road it’s like driving a Cadillac I get compliments from friend that have tj’ s about how nice mine rides off road. Where about you live I have my old rear swaybar still I could sell you but shipping I think would be high. Only had about 15-16k miles on it still pretty good shape