What are the most reliable years for the Wrangler?

Kiraly

Looking to get a Wrangler. Seeing so much written about their unreliability but that some years are more reliable. For those who know Wranglers, what are the most reliable years?

My 05 has been great no problems what so ever, but then again it only has about 45k miles on it. I know there is the worry about the squirreling monkeys but I think there is more hype than actual issues.

I like the late models (03-06). If I were starting over and doing a mild build I’d look for an ‘04 Rubicon. 05-06 are known for PCM issues. 97’s just have several oddities since it was the first year. I dislike a lot of little things about the 98-02’s, but they did offer the 32rh transmission those years, which is a plus. Tough call!

Rumor has it the 96’s have zero problems. I’ve never heard a single complaint on here about them!

It's all hype. I had one. ;)

Jeep yj tj 2.jpg

Jeep YJ TJ.jpg

Personally I'd say 03-04. No issues with my 06, but 05 and 06 are known to have some issues, nothing major that can't be fixed relatively inexpensively. Before I bought the 04 rubi I had, I did a pretty extensive search on the "best" years and came up with 04 as the best.

According to motorandwheels.com, here are the most reliable years for the Jeep Wrangler:
  • 2018 Jeep Wrangler
  • 2015 Jeep Wrangler
  • 2010 Jeep Wrangler
  • 2003 Jeep Wrangler
  • 1997 Jeep Wrangler

Or not. That article is not talking about reliability. They chose 2003 because the Rubicon came out. And 1997 because of the new suspension design.

Looking to get a Wrangler. Seeing so much written about their unreliability but that some years are more reliable. For those who know Wranglers, what are the most reliable years?
I'd be happy with a '97 to '04 and within that group I'd be happiest with a '97 to '99. I don't like the potential PCM and Oil Pump Drive Assembly (aka OPDA) issues only 05/06 models have. And I don't really care if anyone disagrees with that second sentence.