What are typical hand tools I need for a TJ?

razmaspaz

I'm flying to Arizona Thursday with the intention of driving this thing home over the weekend. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/2005-wrangler-unlimited-lj.31080/

Assuming all goes well with the sale, I'm driving 1800 miles home in an unfamiliar vehicle with some stops along the way in pretty remote places. I'm flying out with pretty much just the shirt on my back and my 8 year old daughter in tow. The long and short of it is I need a tool list. Recovery gear is out as I'm not planning to be off-road on this trip, at least not remotely off-road. What do I need for typical socket sizes, wrenches, to be able to limp to a shop if something gets me?

I'm planning to ship an impact driver to the hotel, and will bring a roll of gear wrenches and deep impact sockets in my suitcase. Anything else I should have specific to the LJ? I'm ultimately going to need to buy these things for a tool kit for the LJ anyway, so no big deal if they are the essentials+, but I don't really want to check 200 lbs of stuff on the airplane.

Of specific note, I'll need to install the rear seat, take the soft top off, and put the hard top on.

Just read the listing for the Lj. Send my condolences her way. Beautiful Jeep! If you go to his history post looks like he was mechanically inclined and worked on his LJ. I’m sure it’s worth it! Did I mention I love the color?

My initial though was Duct Tape. (due to, but not related to, my reply in another thread).

After reading about the 8 year old daughter and a handful of various tools I now have to add a smartphone with a decent camera. Why? Because a thread with a couple dozen pictures of you and her in or on your Jeep with as many interesting backgrounds along the way is now a requirement.

Reactions: mushdogs
Beautiful Jeep! If you go to his history post looks like he was mechanically inclined and worked on his LJ. I’m sure it’s worth it! Did I mention I love the color?
Reading the history gave me a high degree of confidence that I could fly out and not get surprised. It certainly looks like the Jeep was well cared for. I'm pretty excited to give it a new home.

Reactions: 06TJ35's
Reading the history gave me a high degree of confidence that I could fly out and not get surprised. It certainly looks like the Jeep was well cared for. I'm pretty excited to give it a new home.

That’s good to hear.Ill be confident on the purchase as well.History makes it worth it. You’ll have a nice jeep in your hands.

Uhaul truck and trailer?? (If it gets to that point)
Yeah, for mine I was able to keep driving, just couldn’t exceed 55mph, but since it was a Sunday afternoon there weren’t many options for truck and trailer available. Especially in the middle of nowhere Nebraska.

AAA wanted over $2K to tow back, I figured that was money better spent on a new engine. Turned out it was a cat failure and was fixed for $250 but it cost several hours of travel time.

@razmaspaz you going to hit up Moab on the way back?

Reactions: 06TJ35's
I'd guess he had some tools in the shop you could borrow to mount the top, but otherwise I'd not bother with anything beyond the best AAA plan you can get. A 100-200 mile tow will get you to a decent shop or to a U-Haul store where you can rent a truck and trailer to drag it home the rest of the way.

I'm headed the other direction, maybe Tombstone, White Sands, Palo Duro, Kansas City, Hannibal, MO. As far as stops, my biggest limiting factor is daylight. I need to be home in Illinois by Sunday afternoon. Wish I could find a way to squeeze in another day, but I can't.
All good, that’s still a fun drive