What are you cooking today?

I have never smoked a burger, do you sear first or after smoke? I get nice chuck, brisket and rib eye 1/2 pounders from my butcher.

We don’t sear at all. Smoked them at 225° until done. Takes a while but they have good flavor.

just got home from vacation, not much in the way of food in the house but enough to bake a loaf of whole wheat sourdough & a plain pizza; did the pie on a grid in the oven right after the bread, didn't make much sense to fire up the outdoor pizza furnace under the circumstances...

IMG_8722.jpg

IMG_8726.jpg

IMG_8727.jpg

IMG_8728.jpg

IMG_8729.jpg

IMG_8734.jpg

IMG_8731.jpg

shoulda left it in another minute or so to get some color on the crust, but I was ravenous :LOL:

On a small scale, I take it that it is not a pain in the arse to cook on a small scale over grilling?

Nope, it's probably not as cost effective to not fill the entire smoker up but my MAK is pretty fuel efficient as is and I needed to use up some pellets I had sitting around.

Turn it on, set the temp, throw the burgers on and periodically check temp until they are done. I'd have to have been more attentive had I fired up the BGE and grilled them but they'd have been done in a few minutes on the egg instead of an hour or so.

Reactions: RINC
Nope, it's probably not as cost effective to not fill the entire smoker up but my MAK is pretty fuel efficient as is and I needed to use up some pellets I had sitting around.

Turn it on, set the temp, throw the burgers on and periodically check temp until they are done. I'd have to have been more attentive had I fired up the BGE and grilled them but they'd have been done in a few minutes on the egg instead of an hour or so.

I never got the purpose of the egg, is it just an over all very heavy version of a weber kettle?

I never got the purpose of the egg, is it just an over all very heavy version of a weber kettle?

Probably the best all around grill you can buy.

I can smoke a brisket for 20 hours through a rainstorm and never have to add any more lump. It's super efficient.

It can easily get very hot 1000°+ so you have great options for searing steaks or high heat pizzas.

It's been my experience that food maintains moisture better in it than other grills. Delicious chicken.

Cons -

It's heavy

It's expensive

all the eggsessories are expensive.

I have to setup the temp controller when smoking on it.

Have to light it.

Reactions: RINC and cliffish

not really, it's a low & slow smoker & radiant baking incinerator all in one. The ancient 'Kamado' cooker has been around for thousands of years, mostly made of clay they were great for low & slow type cooking. The innovation of Ed Fisher, founder of the Big Green Egg, was to upgrade the clay to be able to withstand temps in excess of 1000 degrees without cracking or exploding, so you can now not only smoke meats but also do things like real Neapolitan pizzas, breads and such.

I got into the BGE world about 20 years ago, great cookers. Though, these days I cook far more on my equally old Kettle, the Egg takes far more effort & I'm lazy at this point.

IMG_6682.JPG

Probably the best all around grill you can buy.

I can smoke a brisket for 20 hours through a rainstorm and never have to add any more lump. It's super efficient.

It can easily get very hot 1000°+ so you have great options for searing steaks or high heat pizzas.

It's been my experience that food maintains moisture better in it than other grills. Delicious chicken.

Cons -

It's heavy

It's expensive

all the eggsessories are expensive.

I have to setup the temp controller when smoking on it.

Have to light it.

Have you been to an 'Eggfest'? For a good number of years I traveled a lot to hit these, tons of fun. Haven't been in years though, got old, but one day I'd like to hit another one. Georgia Mountain Fest was my favorite, in Stone Mountain, beautiful place.

Reactions: cliffish
not really, it's a low & slow smoker & radiant baking incinerator all in one. The ancient 'Kamado' cooker has been around for thousands of years, mostly made of clay they were great for low & slow type cooking. The innovation of Ed Fisher, founder of the Big Green Egg, was to upgrade the clay to be able to withstand temps in excess of 1000 degrees without cracking or exploding, so you can now not only smoke meats but also do things like real Neapolitan pizzas, breads and such.

I got into the BGE world about 20 years ago, great cookers. Though, these days I cook far more on my equally old Kettle, the Egg takes far more effort & I'm lazy at this point.

View attachment 467041

Have you been to an 'Eggfest'? For a good number of years I traveled a lot to hit these, tons of fun. Haven't been in years though, got old, but one day I'd like to hit another one. Georgia Mountain Fest was my favorite, in Stone Mountain, beautiful place.

Never have been to one but I've owned two eggs over the last 10 years or so and it'd be hard to not have one around. Egg fests around here never looked to be very entertaining.