What can we expect to replace on a TJ with 100k miles?

Bayou Hazard

My wife wants her 3rd TJ. The two we've owned we've gotten rid of at about 100,000 miles. With TJs that have over 100,000 miles, what can we expect to replace or need to fix in what (general) order? What things go out earlier than others?

Thanks!
-jim

Welcome aboard! As long as it has seen regular maintenance, the TJ can be good for 300k miles. For a new one I would do a full tune up, change all fluids, lube all zerk points, check the brakes, check u joints, check wheel bearings, find and repair any leaks. There is probably some other stuff too but that should keep you busy for a while :D

There really is not a need to replace anything until it needs it. A full inspection like I listed will reveal any issues that may need attention.

Oh, and just so you know, the forum likes pictures. So make sure you get some up, quick :D

Ujoints & steering knuckles. I have over 200K on my TJ. Nothing has actually broken. Things just wear out. Preventative maintenance will keep you rolling.

Beyond 100,000 , keep an eye on front end parts .

If you can swing it , go with Spicer u joints .

Check the front knuckles and hub bearings.

A new clutch may be in your near future .

Start with a bone stock TJ with lower mileage, in good shape, and no rust issues. You don't want to deal with someones mickey-moused modifications which a large percentage of used Jeeps would fall into. There are sweet deals to be had with a little looking. History and records are worth looking for, even if it's verbally from the PO.

Then you can start evaluating and forming your mod-list.

I did my cooling system, all of it except the heater core which I will do when I install A/C. I also had to do my front axle u joints. I did my front wheel bearings, all my brakes, interior carpet (ok, not really vital but it looks nice.)
It’s nice that it’s all pretty simple stuff and this forum provides the fast track to answers when you need them.

I also put a top on it and a new sound system.
1669077E-3AFA-4690-BFE3-14841B1D16D2.jpeg