What can't you live without?

I still have my brass Svea gas stove, and it still works well. Lotta miles on that thing. The newer stoves are just so much easier to operate though. And lighter to pack.

The gear for getting out in the TJ is pretty much the same as for weekend camping, if you are geared up for one, you are geared up for the other. The only real difference is the rig specific stuff like tools and recovery gear. For a weekend trip vs. a day trip all you need to throw in is a sleeping bag, tent, a water jug and a bigger cooler.

Oh, I forgot to add a fire extinguisher to the original list.

Reactions: Basiasadie
Tool bag, extra u joints, air compressor, shovel, axe, duct tape, strap, flashlight(wind up kind) can of dip, pistol and my buddies..They have winches and recovery gear. I don't have that yet :( someday though, my superior will allow me to buy one.

Reactions: Basiasadie
a dozen of these....

DSC_0002 (1).jpg

Here's what the overnight bag contains:
1) Internal frame pack, bigger than a day bag but smaller than a weekender (Still looking for a good one, I must have four or five floating around the house, or given to the grandkids / kids)
2) Buck 119 fixed blade knife and two sided diamond hone
3) Buck 140M fixed blade knife
4) Additional liter bottle
5) Engineer's compass
6) First aid kit ( cloth band aids, sunblock, bandages, analgesics, tweezers, small EMT shears, sanitary napkin or two, misc first aid crap)
7) Stainless steel cooking eating set (pot, plate, bowel, cup, fork, spoon salt, pepper, mini bottle of Tabasco sauce etc.)
8) MSR Dragonfly multi fuel stove and fuel bottle (burns the same thing the TJ does, plus just about any other liquid fuel you can get your hands on)
9) MSR water filter
10) Tea bags, hot chocolate, bullion cubes, a couple of MRE's or Mountain House meals
11) Gun cleaning tools and supplies (pull through style)
12) More 550 cord in green or black
13) spool of trip wire
14) Heavy safari style shorts
15) Heavy short sleeved shirt
16) Sock liners and more wool socks
17) Wool "finger" gloves (the ones without the finger ends)
18) Small bible
19) SAS survival guide (compact version)
20) Magnesium fire starter with flint and steel built in
21) Strike anywhere matches in a waterproof container
22) Flashlight
23) Spare rechargeable batteries
24) Goal Zero solar recharger
25) Write in the rain notebook and pen
26) Deck of playing cards
27) Pair of small ten power binoculars
28) Good quality space blanket
29) 12' x 16' sheet of plastic
30) Miniature folding camp stool
31) Couple of bandanas
32) Wool watch cap
33) Balaclava
34) Candle lantern and extra candle
35) Fire starter sticks
36) Wood saw, the one that looks like a chain saw chain.
37) Gorilla tape (works on everything including torn soft tops and cloths)
38) 12" x 12" piece of thin veneer to set stove on

I'm sure there is more small misc stuff in there as well. Some stuff changes with the season as well, but this is pretty much the base of it.

NICE! But where do you sit? :) But seriously, Where do you put all this stuff?

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
It all fits in very nicely actually. Lots o' room for all that stuff. There's a normal sized day pack, the axe and shovel behind the seat on the floorboards, the small bag with air compressor and misc tools and a larger recovery gear bag. There's still lots of room to throw extra crap in and all in it's not even all that heavy. Maybe 100 - 150 pounds of stuff or so. I'll pile it up and take a picture if you want. The pile and everything in the TJ.

It all fits in very nicely actually. Lots o' room for all that stuff. There's a normal sized day pack, the axe and shovel behind the seat on the floorboards, the small bag with air compressor and misc tools and a larger recovery gear bag. There's still lots of room to throw extra crap in and all in it's not even all that heavy. Maybe 100 - 150 pounds of stuff or so. I'll pile it up and take a picture if you want. The pile and everything in the TJ.

I'm new to 4X4ing. I've had my Jeep since 2014 but haven't done any 4X4ing till last year. Yes pictures would be great if you don't mind going through the trouble? The first thing I did after getting my Jeep was to take to back seat out for my dog. now it's the dog house.
So far all I have to bring with is;
Tow rope, tow straps, jumper cables, and a collapsible shovel. Pretty Lame isn't it?
But the most important thing I bring with are friends with experience to learn from.

I'm new to 4X4ing. I've had my Jeep since 2014 but haven't done any 4X4ing till last year. Yes pictures would be great if you don't mind going through the trouble? The first thing I did after getting my Jeep was to take to back seat out for my dog. now it's the dog house.
So far all I have to bring with is;
Tow rope, tow straps, jumper cables, and a collapsible shovel. Pretty Lame isn't it?
But the most important thing I bring with are friends with experience to learn from.
No issues. It literally takes 10 minutes to throw all that crap together in the back. :)

2 things that are on every trip is my 460 S&W and my 45. There is things up here that can eat a man. But the 2 legged beast are the ones that you really need to worry about. Then my wife is armed and so is my daughter.

I keep spare parts.
Ujoints. At least one for everything.
Front Bearing unit.
Lug bolts.
And some other odds and ends.
Chainsaw
axe
shovel
Tire plug kit
Pit Bull
Jack Russell Terrier

When we do go out we load up the camp boxes which contain food and survival gear.
Enough to last at least 3 days.
Best thing is with the LJ we have room for all of this.

I have a ARB dual compressor mounted and when healed up I'll be installing my Power Tank so I'll be adding a few air tools.

There's a "garage/workshop saying" amongst the guys in our family. I think one of my grandfathers started it. It's ... "There are 3 things in life that you can't live without ... and one of them is clamps". Every now and then a new girlfriend asks what the other 2 are and immediately regrets hearing the answer which is ... "sex and beer". :D

Last edited:
Here you go! Photographic evidence...

The pile on the floor:
Junk Pile.jpg

...and everything in the back:
Stuffed.jpg

I threw the range bag in there just for giggles. It usually goes along for the ride, but isn't really required. I also didn't show a picture of the farm jack. It goes on the front bumper behind the tow hooks on high dollar / high tech homemade mounts.