What constitutes "Made in the USA"?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
I've been purchasing a lot of DeWalt tools lately and one of the things that I noticed was that they very proudly display the "Made in the USA" logo, but under it they say, "From Globally Sourced Parts".

I do web work for another company who sells FLIR, Armasight, Pulsar and Trijicon thermal imaging optics. They also do the same thin, most notably FLIR. FLIR however doesn't mention that most of the parts are made elsewhere, they are just shipped to the U.S. where the product is then assembled.

Anyways, this got me to thinking, what does, "Made in the USA" mean to you?

While I realize it's stupid to think that every single part of a product can be manufactured in the USA, I am just curious as to where the line in the sand is to use the "Made in the USA" term as oppose to something like, "Assembled in the USA"?

Isn't it a certain percentage of the parts have to actually be produced in the US to be able to use that claim of "Made in the USA"?

I'm not entirely sure. Seems like there should be some sort of legal requirement to make that claim I would think.

I mean even Harley's aren't 100% made in the USA, which I totally get.

Made-In-USA.jpg

hahah touché sir...:p Not much is made here apart from Milk, beef and lamb..oh and wine

I'm not even entirely sure what's actually made in the U.S. anymore to be honest.

Even Harley Davidsons are only something like 60% made in the U.S. (if that).

Sure the engines are made here, but all of the electronics and fuel injection systems are Bosch units, which are German, and then you've got a lot of parts from Mexico and other places as well.

I'm certain that some of my guitars are 100% made in the U.S. though.

I'm not even entirely sure what's actually made in the U.S. anymore to be honest.

Even Harley Davidsons are only something like 60% made in the U.S. (if that).

Sure the engines are made here, but all of the electronics and fuel injection systems are Bosch units, which are German, and then you've got a lot of parts from Mexico and other places as well.

I'm certain that some of my guitars are 100% made in the U.S. though.

When it comes to guitars I feel that is correct, however i do not own a 100% made in America guitar. I have a Taylor acoustic and fender strat that are both made in Mexico. But they are still great guitars. Found this on Wikipedia so take it with a grain of salt haha
3139afe00be0619cdcbfb5040f52b880.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When it comes to guitars I feel that is correct, however i do not own a 100% made in America guitar. I have a Taylor acoustic and fender strat that are both made in Mexico. But they are still great guitars. Found this on Wikipedia so take it with a grain of salt haha
3139afe00be0619cdcbfb5040f52b880.jpg

I own a number of Mexico and Indonesia guitars as well and they're just as good as the American ones in most cases. Heck, I've got a made in Japan Ibanez that may be better than all of them!

IN my business I can get 100% American made t-shirts and of course from Honduras. The American made are 50-70% more expensive and I can only get them in 6 colors...the overseas one is stocked in 45 colors. We are talking about t-shirts so 50% more is not a huge dollar amount you are talking maybe $2-$3 more per shirt. I have yet to sell one order of the USA shirts and some of my customers are Fire Departments, Sheriffs Union and electrical unions?????

I own a number of Mexico and Indonesia guitars as well and they're just as good as the American ones in most cases. Heck, I've got a made in Japan Ibanez that may be better than all of them!

Japanese guitars from what I heard are pretty awesome. Fender has a factory there I believe. My Jackson is made by fender and I think it’s the one in Japan.

Japanese guitars from what I heard are pretty awesome. Fender has a factory there I believe. My Jackson is made by fender and I think it’s the one in Japan.

Japanese guitars are indeed awesome. However, there is one guitar manufacturer out there who puts everyone else to shame in terms of quality. Paul Reed Smith.

I have a PRS McCarty 594 "Artist Package", and let me tell you... PRS Guitars (the US made ones) look like they were crafted by the hand of god himself. You literally can't find so much as a single flaw or crooked line anywhere on them. Paul won't let a single guitar go out the door that is less than perfect.

The same can't be said for Gibson, that's for sure!

On the other hand, where i live there is a big premium for US Fender strats and Gibson Les Pauls. I hear Gibson may be having issues, but i recently bought a US Les Paul Tribute. A fine guitar for the bucks. Also have 82 tele and Morgan acoustic from British Columbia. After a lifetime of buying and selling these are my final choices....well so far today anyway....

Japanese guitars are indeed awesome. However, there is one guitar manufacturer out there who puts everyone else to shame in terms of quality. Paul Reed Smith.

I have a PRS McCarty 594 "Artist Package", and let me tell you... PRS Guitars (the US made ones) look like they were crafted by the hand of god himself. You literally can't find so much as a single flaw or crooked line anywhere on them. Paul won't let a single guitar go out the door that is less than perfect.

The same can't be said for Gibson, that's for sure!

I have never sat down and played a PRS before, next time I pick up some strings I will have to set down and give one a shot

I have never sat down and played a PRS before, next time I pick up some strings I will have to set down and give one a shot

Make sure you play an American made Core model, not the Korean ones. The Korean ones aren't bad by any means, but the American made Core models will blow your mind. Now I understand why my PRS cost $5600! It's expensive as hell, but it's literally perfect. Not one single imperfection anywhere on it. It plays like a dream too. I've never felt a better neck in my life.

Reactions: Rubirob
Make sure you play an American made Core model, not the Korean ones. The Korean ones aren't bad by any means, but the American made Core models will blow your mind. Now I understand why my PRS cost $5600! It's expensive as hell, but it's literally perfect. Not one single imperfection anywhere on it. It plays like a dream too. I've never felt a better neck in my life.
Yes, but will it play Hendrix's version of the Star Bangled Banner??? :D