What did you do to / in your garage / shop today?

Made up these little woods stands to help store my roll bar temporarily while redoing my Jeep. It is kind of awkward trying to store it otherwise. Scrap 2x4 and 2.5" finish nails

18" tall btw.

IMG_4376.jpeg

Reactions: John Cooper
Spent Sunday morning moving stuff around in the garage clearing what I possibly could up off the floor.
Sunday afternoon I degreased the floor and used a surface cleaner attachment for my pressure washer. Worked out really nice, got alot more up off the floor than I expected to be there as well as tons of old loose floor paint. Dehumidifiers been running since Sunday night so I can get the floor paint rolled on soon.

After work today I degreased and hand washed the interior side of the garage doors. left side is not cleaned and right side is clean in the photo below. Looks much much better in person.
IMG_6360.jpeg

Once I got the doors cleaned off I progressed back to painting and put 2 more coats on the 3 perimeter walls again. As of now I am finally finished with painting walls.
IMG_6361.jpeg

IMG_6364.jpeg

Not sure what to do with the pegboard yet & also got to box in the cinder block as the original ripped scrap pieces of T1-11 was way past its service life.

Floors finally ready for paint now.

Cut in and rolled a 1st coat after work. Not my first choice for a garage color... but this particular color is the cheapest compared to the other colors for some reason but it looks better than it was before. Would have liked to do it all at once but dont want to disassemble and move the toolboxes to the basement. Next week I can do the other side.
IMG_6375.jpeg

Applied a second coat to the floor yesterday.
IMG_6392.jpeg

While waiting for floor paint to cure being that im not really able to do much else, I decided to disassemble the steps leading to the basement tonight to clean up this area and resolve the goofy stair stringers. Whomever built them built them from scrap, the top step was about 1.5" longer than the others. I need do some calculations now to bump the stringer back about 1.5" & up a hair. The steps were originally were boxed in but I kept snagging my boot on the frayed plywood risers which were nailed to the face of the treads as the plywood wasn't cut flush.
IMG_6393.jpeg

Last edited:
I actually really like that color. Looks good! What paint are you using?

Coating my garage floor is on my list of things to do someday.

It is Drylok Bamboo Beige latex concrete floor paint. I am not sure of the durability though, Its cheap @ about $40/gallon. Seems to be holding up well in the basement so far though I have read it tends to turn into a maintenance thing with tire pickup when used in a garage.

Reactions: tworley
Removed the old stringers tonight and cut new ones.
Briefly attempted trying to figure a way to reuse the existing stringers but after measuring them I found the runs and rises all varied... they all should be the same. one of the rises was 1.5" higher than the rest of them. It's really important to have them all consistent.

Admittedly I really have no idea how to fasten the stringers to the wall plate but I bought some various Simpson plates/hangers and I think I did pretty good for what it is.

steps are now functional for now. Probably gonna prime and paint the walls next then I'll finish up the job by cutting and install stair risers to box in the steps.

New risers, wall and floor plate.
IMG_6399.jpeg

Revised stringer Simpson bracket supports.
IMG_6402.jpeg

Temporary accomplishment.
IMG_6401.jpeg

Last edited:
Primed the walls and cut in around the stringers with the same semi gloss white ive been using everywhere else this morning. Picked up some lumber this afternoon and cut out new treads and risers. Everything is glued with Poly adhesive and screwed. Jobs about 95% done, just got to paint out the block with semigloss... then I need to find something else to work on.

IMG_6407.jpeg

IMG_6409.jpeg

Primed the walls and cut in around the stringers with the same semi gloss white ive been using everywhere else this morning. Picked up some lumber this afternoon and cut out new treads and risers. Everything is glued with Poly adhesive and screwed. Jobs about 95% done, just got to paint out the block with semigloss... then I need to find something else to work on.

View attachment 534709

View attachment 534710

Very nice work - but I see a bunch of wasted storage space. Make at least the bottom riser removable or openable...

Very nice work - but I see a bunch of wasted storage space. Make at least the bottom riser removable or openable...

Ive got tons of room in the basement for storage. It's basically empty except a washer / dryer, air compressor which is plumbed out into the garage & one metal storage shelf. Below the steps is pretty ugly anyhow and id like to keep it out of sight.

I have thought though if I get around to messing with the basement steps I might add in some under tread cubbies for shoe storage.

Reactions: Zorba