What did you do to your TJ today?

Got sick of looking at the swing out tailgate with no spare while waiting for my paint to arrive, so I mounted the CJ tailgate in primer. It was probably a good call since I didn’t damage fresh paint mocking it up. I’d rather look at this than the alternative! And I’ll paint it and the half doors once the paint is delivered.

0BDA8E98-3560-4404-919A-6EB77A71A09F.jpeg

4D206276-1C3F-4E59-B120-F2D5C2E2AB68.jpeg

Last time I did this I modified a CJ reproduction tailgate seal and the fit was terrible. This time I repurposed the TJ seal and it worked much better. I just have some tweaks to make where it meets the tailgate bar when I put it on for good after paint.

I’m not sure what I’m doing to do at the stock hinge locations. Last time I used Poison Spyder corner armor hinge delete plates painted to match. They’re not available anymore so I’ll either make my own or come up with something else.

Last edited:
Got the new passenger side, front UCA installed - probably the easiest control arm to change out on the entire Jeep. That's the good news. The bad news is that the original axle mounted bushing is still in place, despite heroic attempts to get it off. Its just too tight, too tight to get to, I'm too damn big, I have no lift, etc, etc...

So I formed a committee of 1, and elected myself chairman. After careful review by the committee, the chair motioned that somebody else needs to do this particular job. The motion was seconded, and the vote was unanimous in favor!

Is there any reason you changed your coil rail? I was going to do this as just a normal maintenance thing but the consensus on here seemed to be "why Change the Coil pack"
Cheers

I’m just unsure of prior maintenance and it was easy enough. It’s not cheap, but gives me some piece of mind. I kept the old one as a spare. No issues so far.

Reactions: Fishtaco
Installed a new kicker sub this weekend, using the factory amp, enough bass for me for now.
Also started to mock up a shelf for the rear, to keep my stuff a bit safer (as my soft top windows are clear, until I get my new Trektop). Will get some similar colored carpet and cover it up :)

View attachment 254310
View attachment 254311
View attachment 254312
I did the same thing with a bit of ply board ..I ended up staining in..it was a temporary fix about 2 years ago lol.
Will that kicker fit under the seat ?..
I ended up with a Pioneer as I thought is was the only one that would fit ( it did fit but the seat needs some modification, and a hammer haha)

Last edited:
Reactions: phraza
I did the same thing with a bit of ply board ..I ended up staining in..it was a temporary fix about 2 years ago lol.
Will that kicker fit under the seat ?..
I ended up with a Pioneer as I thought is was the only one that would fit ( it did fit but the seat needs some modification, and a hammer haha)
Yea mine is just some ply wood I had lying around :) didn't hear it move on the way to work this morning, it's quite tight between the seats and the tub/tailgate.
That box that the kicker sub is in, is from the centre console. Pic kind of makes it look like it's going under the seat haha, but came from the console, just slips over the top :)

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Finished the complete exhaust replacement, with 02 sensors, topped off with a Savvy UA system.

Did you notice an increase in vibrations while in drive/reverse at idle? I just finished my install up today and noticed an increase. And found a couple other posts of people claiming the same. It's not super terrible by any means, but definitely noticable. And it's not a rattle or like anything is hitting the body. I'm guessing just the difference in the transmission mount? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Anyhow, the install went relatively smooth. I had already previously done the 1.25" BL & 1" MML. I did need to slot the fan shroud and grind a little on the rear support so the exhaust wasn't touching. I *probably* could have raised the exhaust hanger bracket a little to avoid the grinding, but I had already lowered it some to help take care of some of the vibrations (which it did help) and didn't want to keep messing with it.

Probably should have replaced my exhaust system as well. But that'll have to wait for another day.

IMG_20210523_191739.jpg

IMG_20210523_191755.jpg

Yea mine is just some ply wood I had lying around :) didn't hear it move on the way to work this morning, it's quite tight between the seats and the tub/tailgate.
That box that the kicker sub is in, is from the centre console. Pic kind of makes it look like it's going under the seat haha, but came from the console, just slips over the top :)
Ahhh ok that's makes sense now...yes the later year TJ's came with that sub in the centre...I couldn't find one so put mine under the seat.
My pine shelve is long enough to sit under the plastic that surrounds the seat belt and when the seat is in it usual position its locked in.

Reactions: phraza
Ahhh ok that's makes sense now...yes the later year TJ's came with that sub in the centre...I couldn't find one so put mine under the seat.
My pine shelve is long enough to sit under the plastic that surrounds the seat belt and when the seat is in it usual position its locked in.
Nice! Yea I trimmed my ply wood to sit around the seat belts. But not too far so it wouldn’t be easy to get out :)

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Oil change, new plugs and coil rail, changed trans fluid, cleaned throttle body and IAC. And changed O2 sensors- what a PITA! Took the doors off, put on the Spiderwebshade and drove around for a while.

Should have included some pix. While it was running decent before, the difference after was significant. Not sure what I’ll find this weekend when I flush the coolant 😳

483CE1D6-CBDB-4437-80F6-AF2DB9E734E0.jpeg

3A40A7CD-EF90-4AE5-973A-5FA03F23E25F.jpeg

01F57B70-B5D0-454C-8AC3-5D527051C2C7.jpeg

6FF54ECF-C886-4458-BDC5-30371C54AFCE.jpeg

626B1006-5A26-4693-B337-D1A01146FB39.jpeg

322869AC-560B-4C59-B44E-ECBBFD2343CA.jpeg

FB416334-F60D-42C3-8F55-BC5638C7446F.jpeg

A7867601-7DFD-4774-94C3-420B847E1C35.jpeg

Did you notice an increase in vibrations while in drive/reverse at idle? I just finished my install up today and noticed an increase. And found a couple other posts of people claiming the same. It's not super terrible by any means, but definitely noticable. And it's not a rattle or like anything is hitting the body. I'm guessing just the difference in the transmission mount? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Anyhow, the install went relatively smooth. I had already previously done the 1.25" BL & 1" MML. I did need to slot the fan shroud and grind a little on the rear support so the exhaust wasn't touching. I *probably* could have raised the exhaust hanger bracket a little to avoid the grinding, but I had already lowered it some to help take care of some of the vibrations (which it did help) and didn't want to keep messing with it.

Probably should have replaced my exhaust system as well. But that'll have to wait for another day.

View attachment 254512

View attachment 254513
Mine is a major restoration project, so it's not on the road yet to drive. I still have to order new driveshafts, from Tom Woods, so I can test out the addition of the 241 case and locked 44 rear. Up front, I've added the small lockout hub conversion. This should help to minimize vibrations.

What transfer case and driveshaft setup are you running on your setup?