What did you do to your TJ today?

Got all the chores done so my daughter and I went to get ice cream‘s…. So good to get the doors off again
433D0849-B3A1-458C-97DD-0E91B9E887C5.jpeg

Did a seafoam spray into the air intake:
Sprayed almost a can of seafoam spray into air intake while my wife helped me to keep it at 1500RPM. Impoved the throttle response, and seems like the engine really liked it.

I did an engine flash:
Bought BG EPR, BG MOA and BG 44K. Brought the engine to 210F. Shut down the rig. Poured the BG 44K into the gas tank (on almost full tank).
Poured one can of BG EPR into the crankcase (4.0 engine). It mixes with the engine oil. Then ran at 1600RPM for like 10 minutes.
Drained the oil, replaced with new MOPAR oil filter, and then poured new oil. Added BG MOA into crankcase. The engine sounds better, less noise when it is cold. Hope it cleaned the gunk from the lifters.

Then replaced the IAC, as i was getting check engine light and trouble code P1294 - bought IAC from autozone. Removed the throttle body, cleaned it all over with throttle body cleaner, installed the new IAC, and now the idle seems very stable.

IMG_2747.jpg

IMG_2746.jpg

Last edited:
The trouble code P1294 seems to be represent that PCM cannot properly control the idle speed. I figured that most likely it is related to IAC, as I was seeing that idle RPM was fluctuating between 700RPM to 900RPM. After replacing the IAC, it is stable between 800RPM to 850RPM.

Got all the chores done so my daughter and I went to get ice cream‘s…. So good to get the doors off again
View attachment 291654
I am thinking you have a garage given you are topless so much in NZ, I recon I need to get my hard top of, I mean I am in Perth! having no off street parking or undercover parking is ruining my Wrangler experience in all this sunny weather :(

I am thinking you have a garage given you are topless so much in NZ, I recon I need to get my hard top of, I mean I am in Perth! having no off street parking or undercover parking is ruining my Wrangler experience in all this sunny weather :(
Hate to state the obvious but yes your in PERTH...hot one day, sunny the next...lose the hard top and buy a soft-top ( best of both worlds )
You have semi tropical climate like me..so having soft top means if it starts to rain half way through the day put the roof up and back down once its passed.
I do have a garage so the half doors and side windows do stay at home while I'm out...not much room to carry them with ya...but your are missing out buddy, doorless is great fun and the cops are ok with it our here too (which I was surprised with).Not sure how the cops are in WA.

I changed out the transmission fluid. The LJ seems to shift a bit smoother (it was already a good shifting NSG370 in my opinion and from what I've been told) but I'll need more time to form an opinion. The old fluid didn't look bad but it'd been in there a while so...

20211121_032540.jpg

The weather was nice yesterday although a bit breezy, but ideal weather for working on the Jeep.
I climbed underneath the Jeep to do a visual inspection of the engine and drivetrain looking for problem areas that may need attention in the near future.

Last edited:
Finally finished installing my Kicker sub using some brackets I made to support the front and rear, It was a tight fit under the seat and I had to trim the frame a bit. Connections were easy, however if I had to do it again I'd run the wires before I reinstalled the seat. It sounds great with everything from Erykah Badu and Jill Scott to Pantera and Metallica.

IMG_2398.JPEG
IMG_2407.JPEG

Finally, finally, FINALLY got that goddamn 10 minute hand throttle install done after at least 2 months of intermittent work, re-engineering, fiddling around, waiting on parts, getting rained out, etc, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah.

I probably should have just put the damn bicycle lever control on instead - but its done now and works well.

465.JPG
466.JPG
467.JPG

Now its on to the Mercedes radiator replacement.

That would be @Zorb cheating on his TJ with a Mercedes.
That would be correct. Radiator is 36 years old and is acting like its clogged. New OEM (Behr) radiator already on hand to replace it with. That's why I don't understand why everyone seems to think 12 years is an acceptable lifespan for a radiator - its not...

That would be correct. Radiator is 36 years old and is acting like its clogged. New OEM (Behr) radiator already on hand to replace it with. That's why I don't understand why everyone seems to think 12 years is an acceptable lifespan for a radiator - its not...
It is not just the age of the radiator. It is also what type of fluids were used on it, whether it was used properly etc. In a very hot like like Texas, i would proactively replace a radiator that is like 12 years old. However, somewhere Vermont, i would not, unless it is not behave badly.
You would be surprised, but i am familiar with maintenance of large fleet of military vehicles (not in US, abroad) - they are running a lot of old stuff, but have a weekly maintenance schedule (every single week checking for every leak, every fluid, anything that seems wrong), follow all required procedures, proper fluids, cleanings, flushing, filters and what not. As a result Jeep Wrangler YJ or TJ (all manual), would run into 200K Miles easily without any major issues even when 15 years old. Their models are all Dana 30, Dana 44, manual (5 speed for YJ and 6 speed for TJ), factory sleep yoke eliminator, etc. Properly maintained, these Jeeps can run run for a decades.