What did you do to your TJ today?

First fun toy I’ve had in awhile, so it got a vanity plate today.

Should I block it with my thumb? 🤔

BDCC3D50-7204-4529-AC16-15F20A3120D1.jpeg

Shopping for all for bump stops. Whatcha think about these. They appear to be made in USA . Mine are all rotted. I do have the Rancho shocks that many people on here have recommended. They are great. Here’s a bump stop

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 51
Shopping for all for bump stops. Whatcha think about these. They appear to be made in USA . Mine are all rotted. I do have the Rancho shocks that many people on here have recommended. They are great. Here’s a bump stop
You just reminded me that mine are rotted. I guess I'll get the red ones to color match like Zorba. :)

46f.JPG

This collection of loot comes with a story. Saw the underseat lockbox on craigslist some time ago - $25 with a broken lock and its for a JK. Saw it again recently, and figured, "Why not?" Price is right, if I can't adapt it for the TJ, I'll use it somewhere for something. Noticed the LED tail lights from the same guy, also for $25, but decided I didn't want to fool with them...

So I drove the old Benz down to pick up the lockbox on my way to dance class. Turns out the seller is a member here (Has a 2006 like me), but doesn't post much so I won't "out" him. Went to pay him for the lockbox - "Nope, its yours!". After a short argument, I shut up, but figured since I was there, I'd take the LED tail lites too - "Since you won't take my money for the lockbox..." "Nope, its yours too - I just want it out of my garage." After another short argument, we loaded the whole mess in the back of the MBZ, yakked about MBZ for a bit, and off I went to dance class. I was pretty floored at his generosity - Goddess Bless and Merry Christmas!

So I need to see if I can adapt this strongbox to the TJ, and if I can't, what I'm going to do with it 'cause its too cool not to use somewhere for something. The LED lites I'm going to noodle on for a bit - If I install them on the Jeep, I'll need to add a license plate lite at the very least - and a side lite wouldn't be bad either. OR - I'll hang onto them and use them for an eventual utility trailer that I figure will need them as I'm sure to buy some decrepit POS and fix it up.

Replaced the u joints on my front driveshaft. Pretty certain they were the originals from 97. Took a bit to get em out...got almost everything back together and the double cardin fell apart...the dust shield is cracked...pulled apart cleaned out all the grit and spent hours putting the needle beard back in and trying to reassemble...but after 5 attempts I can get it far enough seated to put the joint in front of it... going to be watching some videos and mining the forums. Looks like I need Spicer 211355X for the CV. Kinda wish Adams Driveshaft would have mentioned this part.

-Mac

Last edited:
I also installed the hand throttle that I had been putting off. I didn’t care much for Teraflex’s instructions, so I had half of their parts left over. Still works as it should.

View attachment 296670

View attachment 296671
There are always parts left over because their kit fits many model years and options (cruise or No cruise being the big one).

There are always parts left over because their kit fits many model years and options (cruise or No cruise being the big one).
That’s good to know. I wish the directions were a bit more clear on that.

That’s good to know. I wish the directions were a bit more clear on that.
Yes, their directions, like directions from 95% (yes, that's a made-up statistic) of Jeep parts manufacturers simply suck.

When I was in product development for a powersports vehicle manufacturer years back, I made it a point to meet with the technical writer responsible for the owner's and shop manuals for the vehicles on which I contributed so that I could review/edit their work to be as accurate as possible, from a technical standpoint. The technical writers were good, but they lacked the historical design knowledge that only a development engineer can provide. I wasn't really afforded the time in a "normal" 40-hour work week to do this, but I thought it important enough to take the time, and I never worked a normal 40 hour week anyway. Sadly, many people in the industry (from the executive level down to the line workers) simply don't care, and I think it just keeps getting worse. It takes hard work and passion to do things "right."

Yes, their directions, like directions from 95% (yes, that's a made-up statistic) of Jeep parts manufacturers simply suck.

When I was in product development for a powersports vehicle manufacturer years back, I made it a point to meet with the technical writer responsible for the owner's and shop manuals for the vehicles on which I contributed so that I could review/edit their work to be as accurate as possible, from a technical standpoint. The technical writers were good, but they lacked the historical design knowledge that only a development engineer can provide. I wasn't really afforded the time in a "normal" 40-hour work week to do this, but I thought it important enough to take the time, and I never worked a normal 40 hour week anyway. Sadly, many people in the industry (from the executive level down to the line workers) simply don't care, and I think it just keeps getting worse. It takes hard work and passion to do things "right."
The Industrial computer outfit I worked for decades back were FANATICS about good documentation and good usability of their products. The crap that all too often passes for manuals and other documentation these days is pathetic, although there are exceptions. Usability is a forgotten artform, 75% of the products out there are sub-optimal. Then they change everything just for the sake of changing it. And just to pound on my favorite thing to hate: The smartphone wouldn't have gotten past our product planning and usability department!

Housing was brand new last time - but I hear you. Did all that and the damn thing still leaks - including using the Felpro gasket.
When you screw in the bolts; apply a dab of the permatex to the bolt threads. I have seen coolant work it’s way along the threads creating a leak. Both bolts thread into a casting bung, but it can still happen.

Reactions: Blondie70 and Zorba
View attachment 296697
This collection of loot comes with a story. Saw the underseat lockbox on craigslist some time ago - $25 with a broken lock and its for a JK. Saw it again recently, and figured, "Why not?" Price is right, if I can't adapt it for the TJ, I'll use it somewhere for something. Noticed the LED tail lights from the same guy, also for $25, but decided I didn't want to fool with them...

So I drove the old Benz down to pick up the lockbox on my way to dance class. Turns out the seller is a member here (Has a 2006 like me), but doesn't post much so I won't "out" him. Went to pay him for the lockbox - "Nope, its yours!". After a short argument, I shut up, but figured since I was there, I'd take the LED tail lites too - "Since you won't take my money for the lockbox..." "Nope, its yours too - I just want it out of my garage." After another short argument, we loaded the whole mess in the back of the MBZ, yakked about MBZ for a bit, and off I went to dance class. I was pretty floored at his generosity - Goddess Bless and Merry Christmas!

So I need to see if I can adapt this strongbox to the TJ, and if I can't, what I'm going to do with it 'cause its too cool not to use somewhere for something. The LED lites I'm going to noodle on for a bit - If I install them on the Jeep, I'll need to add a license plate lite at the very least - and a side lite wouldn't be bad either. OR - I'll hang onto them and use them for an eventual utility trailer that I figure will need them as I'm sure to buy some decrepit POS and fix it up.
Great story

I bought my TJ with LED tails and no license plate light… something you’ll get pulled over for around here. Installed the mounting bolts LED plate lights on just a few minutes. East install and looks good.

Reactions: Zorba