What did you do to your TJ today?

Well it looks like you know more then your leading on👍🏻
I do industrial maintenance for a living so I know my way around tools and stuff but I have never undertaken a project as extensive as this Jeep. For the two years I’ve owned it I’ve basically became a mechanic lol I’m finally at the point where the Jeep runs good and now has a solid frame so I can go from there.

Finally got the axle reattached and the last of the welding finished besides a few spots here and there that I’ll have to get when I jack the tub up for the body mounts. That’s a different project for another day though

DE0C1942-0C2B-4E83-BFD4-39D9ECB0CB20.jpeg

8 miles is gutsy with the accuracy of that idiot light...
I did 24 miles the other night with the vapor light on trying to find a gas station that was open.....I was almost holding my breath for he last 5 miles, tapping the dash and telling my TJ to please just sip from the gas tank :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Yesterday I noticed a faint smell of coolant, looked around, no luck, today I opened the hood, and bingo, there is a leak, which means, all hoses will be replaced next.....hose has a pinhole leak ans is swollen....

F90C139D-4D23-4F03-96B0-6DF73801F8B4.jpeg

296D4F7C-C4AC-4E9B-9E9B-B8233BFB1E76.jpeg

Ol rusty is finally put back together and ready for the maiden voyage. Still need to put the exhaust back on but the weld on bung for the oxygen sensor has been delayed. Oh well I’ll be rocking that loud ass little 2.5L until tomorrow or Wednesday according to Amazon.

FF694FDB-7310-429E-9909-7ED6303C3FEA.jpeg

65E3C307-40FF-4342-9EED-DCA557A508A6.jpeg

Rear coil springs arrived today. These were the ones I found on Rock Auto sold as Moog 3227s but offered as a "Warehouse Closeout - Private Label Packaging". Rock Auto said it would be the same new part, possibly just an older version and/or a different name on the box.

Sure enough, they're 12 years old (dated March 2010) but look basically new. There was a smaller Carquest Auto Parts box acting as a separator so they wouldn't completely clang together in the larger Eglin box.

I'd never heard of Elgin Industries, evidently the company's been around a while, supplier of OEM stuff; box was marked "Made in USA", so... ok I guess?

Warehouse Closeouts.jpg

After I took this picture I gave the springs a quick wipe with denatured alcohol, then quick coat of Rust-Oleum satin black. Once that drys I'll flip them and spray the other side.

Rear coil springs arrived today. These were the ones I found on Rock Auto sold as Moog 3227s but offered as a "Warehouse Closeout - Private Label Packaging". Rock Auto said it would be the same new part, possibly just an older version and/or a different name on the box.

Sure enough, they're 12 years old (dated March 2010) but look basically new. There was a smaller Carquest Auto Parts box acting as a separator so they wouldn't completely clang together in the larger Eglin box.

I'd never heard of Elgin Industries, evidently the company's been around a while, supplier of OEM stuff; box was marked "Made in USA", so... ok I guess?

View attachment 325532

After I took this picture I gave the springs a quick wipe with denatured alcohol, then quick coat of Rust-Oleum satin black. Once that drys I'll flip them and spray the other side.
Seems like a good score… coils are pretty cheap… you must have gotten a heck of a deal on those

Reactions: Fulton_Hogan
Seems like a good score… coils are pretty cheap… you must have gotten a heck of a deal on those
They were $44.09. As long as they do their job, I think I'm good to go.

(That's the hope anyway.)

If anyone is curious on how to find a single-page listing of all of Rock Auto's closeouts and sales for a specific vehicle, here's the trick I found:

1. Go to Rock Auto and drill down through the make, year, model options till you find your specific year, make, and model. For the example here, I'm using my 2005 Wrangler Unlimited.

2. Your browser's address bar should now read something like "www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,2005,wrangler,4.0l+l6,1430906". The italicized numbers at the end are this vehicle's unique car code. (They won't be italicized on the computer. They are here so you can see what/where they are.) Copy these numbers or write them down for reference; you'll need them in a minute.

3. In a new browser tab/page, open this link: http://www.rockauto.com/RSS/vehiclefeeds.php?carcode=xxxxxxx&m=wc&l=en&html=true (You can bookmark it as-is for later use.)

4. Replace the XXXXXXXs (the Xs are placeholders in the address) after "carcode=" with your copied (or written down) vehicle's unique code.

5. Once you paste your vehicle's unique code, click "Enter" and it should open a full list of all the things Rock Auto currently has on sale/closeout for your vehicle.

6. If you click "Paste and Go" you'll most likely just open a generic tab looking for results based on that vehicle ID. Not what you wanted. Go back and try Step 5 again.

7. Enjoy!

EDIT: These coils are gone now, BUT the instructions and link above will still work for any other vehicle or parts if you want to check cost/availability.

Last edited:
That would be the ideal way to fix the frame for sure if it needed it. If I could have managed to get my tub off the frame in my backyard I would have been able to weld that shit up in no time lol
I thought that might have been the case...out here finding just a straight frame is almost impossible, thought it may have been a better quicker option, but like you said if you could divorce the tub from the frame.

Reactions: kincaid.0678
They were $44.09. As long as they do their job, I think I'm good to go.

(That's the hope anyway.)

If anyone is curious on how to find a single-page listing of all of Rock Auto's closeouts and sales for a specific vehicle, here's the trick I found:

1. Go to Rock Auto and drill down through the make, year, model options till you find your specific year, make, and model. For the example here, I'm using my 2005 Wrangler Unlimited.

2. Your browser's address bar should now read something like "https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/jeep,2005,wrangler,4.0l+l6,1430906". The italicized numbers at the end are this vehicle's unique car code. (They won't be italicized on the computer. They are here so you can see what/where they are.) Copy these numbers or write them down for reference; you'll need them in a minute.

3. In a new browser tab/page, open this link: http://www.rockauto.com/RSS/vehiclefeeds.php?carcode=xxxxxxx&m=wc&l=en&html=true (You can bookmark it as-is for later use.)

4. Replace the XXXXXXXs (the Xs are placeholders in the address) after "carcode=" with your copied (or written down) vehicle's unique code.

5. Once you paste your vehicle's unique code, click "Enter" and it should open a full list of all the things Rock Auto currently has on sale/closeout for your vehicle.

6. If you click "Paste and Go" you'll most likely just open a generic tab looking for results based on that vehicle ID. Not what you wanted. Go back and try Step 5 again.

7. Enjoy!
I could not get that to work , rock auto shows them to me for 114.79, could you send me a link where I can get those for the 44.09 .

Just ordered some Noico sound deadener 3x packs of 18 spft (in black) .... shipping was $170USD !!!.:rolleyes:... all up USD$280.00.

Hate to think what the Bedrug will cost me in shipping :cry:

• Wow
Reactions: MichaelGH
I guess you got the only pair , oh well I guess I will be paying more for them, you made a good score. They say it's better to be lucky than good ....... I guess I'm good LOL ! I find a lot of bargains so I guess I'm a little lucky ......I found both front and rear Rubicon springs for about 230 shipped new Moog springs so I guess not bad and 1.5 spacers to run 31,s with no rubbing with n3 shocks for 219 , that should give me just the right lift pretty cheap. I'll make a nice trail rider out of it yet.