What did you do to your TJ today?

Heading back to Brown's camp. I did say redecking or I meant too but rednecking is sufficiently similar. Also rewired.

Ran Cedar Tree, Power line, Bates and about half of Firebreak before the pucker factor got me.

Put a good dent in the rust hole for my gas tank skid, the usual scratches on the diff and shovel and a couple on the rockers and rear fender. Nothing I'm concerned about.

Had a blast and got some great videos.

-Mac

IMG20230212104134.jpg

a day of proper road testing-everything from running 4low to 90 MPH down the highway- took the variable rate JKS springs and 33" BFG for 20 mile washboard run- I dont know about you I like to try to skim the top of the bumps- about 60mph. Wife is a good friend and just settled in- so I could make sure spare tire mount was adequately tested. All was well up to 4800ft elevation and back down into the Owyhee reservoir at load tide- 2650 ft- with good mud- i tryed to stay clean but the inner child won out.

42E7C4F9-0290-4004-8F53-A9DDADB368D7.jpeg

a day of proper road testing-everything from running 4low to 90 MPH down the highway- took the variable rate JKS springs and 33" BFG for 20 mile washboard run- I dont know about you I like to try to skim the top of the bumps- about 60mph. Wife is a good friend and just settled in- so I could make sure spare tire mount was adequately tested. All was well up to 4800ft elevation and back down into the Owyhee reservoir at load tide- 2650 ft- with good mud- i tryed to stay clean but the inner child won out.

View attachment 400005

I remember those hills. I used to live in Meridian and built my CJ5 for rock crawling around there.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Well crap. The harmonic balancer wouldn't come off the rear shaft. Using the 3 bolts didn't work. One broke but enough stuck out that I got it.

I'm going to get a bigger puller tomorrow. Any specific snap ring pliers I should get while I'm at the store?

Spend some money on the snap ring pliers. The cheap ones will just waste your time and money.

Spend some money on the snap ring pliers. The cheap ones will just waste your time and money.

Trying to fix ignorant on my part. I read a few places to get good "lock ring" pliers instead of "snap ring" pliers. Is there a difference other than what some folks call them? Link to "good" ones vs "cheap" ones? I ask because I have this job in my future too.

Reactions: matkal
With my new problem of windshield washer not working I opted for the cheap option and bought a new motor first….(Should be here in a week or two)
If that doesn’t work then I’m looking for a new lever on the steering column.

Trying to fix ignorant on my part. I read a few places to get good "lock ring" pliers instead of "snap ring" pliers. Is there a difference other than what some folks call them? Link to "good" ones vs "cheap" ones? I ask because I have this job in my future too.

Lock ring pliers are for retaining rings without the little holes for snap ring pliers. Amazon is where I got them for $15-$20

FD2B9385-E651-4834-9B02-A1B260F8BC08.jpeg

087CAAD5-1D42-46D7-91FC-2AB8DBA8D21A.jpeg

Last edited:
I remember those hills. I used to live in Meridian and built my CJ5 for rock crawling around there.

How long has it been? The last couple of years have seen the influx of out of staters -congestion is significant now. I keep this picture to show what a traffic jam used to look like on my street…😁

my kids just bought a 1950’s 2br 1 bath starter home…300k in Meridian.

8C87F12B-ACC4-4C03-A774-3D83980772CD.jpeg

Progress. But one of the tail housing bolts stuck. It rounded the head. I ground the sides until I could get penetrating oil down the hole and get a grip on it.

Lots of RTV on the treads acting as extra lock tight. Bolt shopping tomorrow.

20230212_131635.jpg

20230213_195958.jpg

Last edited: