What did you do to your TJ today?

Yes, that is on the list of things to consider. This is the way it came to me, and I'm still evaluating what equipment is on it and what needs to be fixed in what order. I'll probably start a build thread for advice. :)

The 3.73 seems peppy enough for daily driving, but I have noticed some difficulty in maintaining speed up a steep hill. Is that related to gear ratio, do you think?

Gears gears gears! I just did 4.88’s in my 4.0/5spd on 35’s and it’s perfect. Drove it 300 miles to OBX and averaged 16-17mpg. Top speed was no higher than 70mph, maybe 73 once haha. I haven’t had mileage like that since it was on 30’s. Don’t fear the gear!

Yes, that is on the list of things to consider. This is the way it came to me, and I'm still evaluating what equipment is on it and what needs to be fixed in what order. I'll probably start a build thread for advice. :)

The 3.73 seems peppy enough for daily driving, but I have noticed some difficulty in maintaining speed up a steep hill. Is that related to gear ratio, do you think?
The common recommendation for 35s on the 4 speed auto is 5.13 (5.38 if possible).
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...angler-tj-lj-and-other-re-gearing-faqs.17063/Sure going to feel a lot more peppy once you get 37% more RPM across the board

Reactions: ranger101
Reactions: Rick moran
What's the major difference? Honestly asking. They both look great. Maybe the bartact is a bit tighter fitting? Better materials?

1. let's just say that the Bestops (vinyl) get a bit "sticky" when its hot out and I've recently taken the hard top off so ...
2. the Bartacts (nylon) don't have that problem and are a much better fit than the Bestops

The bestop is like $150 IIRC. and the bartacts are several hundred IIRC?

I forget what I paid from Summit Racing for the Bestops as I've had them for nearly ten years. The Bartacts were on sale at Northridge during their 4th sale for ~$285 shipped. I would prefer some PRP Enduros but I've got other things to spend ~$1600 dollars on rather than seats (regearing/lockers, winch, sliders, etc., etc., etc.)

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
places that come to my mind are coppinger cove, Wind Rock Park and Estill Fork and Aetna Mountain

We did Wind Rock on ATV’s a few years back over New Year’s. Took us about 5 hours to do about 10 miles that was supposed to be a loop. We within about a mile of the end of the trail and they had logged it, we couldn’t get through there was a drop off on one side and a rock wall on the other. We have to turn around and go back, it was dark by the time we made it back to the truck and trailer. When we were there it didn’t look like there was anything wide enough for a Jeep.

Did this yesterday; Swapped out my Warn Hawse Fairlead for one from Tactical Recovery Equipment (TRE) The radius on the winch side of the opening as well as the casting ridge in the opening was wearing my rope out. The TRE Fairlead is a well thought out piece. If your winch is for real use and not “show” you might want to follow this thread.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/synthetic-rope-failure-does-it-drop-or-recoil.23609/
2869E780-09DD-4865-9CFB-33616E2ED661.jpeg
0192A377-2370-4FBA-97FC-A8CE02AB5255.jpeg
FEDFD156-0D81-4009-95A5-DFE12050DDB4.jpeg
1359331F-4019-4E67-8E1F-AE6FF03C41E9.jpeg
0F2D7E84-D3C5-4392-B721-007F20443339.jpeg
301F6738-C8E7-44C8-BC6A-2941C389D8C7.jpeg
02F66ADA-7198-48CD-80C2-B4F2EB3A2FB8.jpeg

Hi,
Which 3 places you making reference to? Can you named?
I was thinking Windrock, Adventure offroad Park, and Land Between The Lakes/ Turkey Bay. Haven’t heard of Estill Fork or Aetna Mountain but I’ll definitely look into it now. I haven’t lived in this state that long to know every place. All I know is there’s a lot less places than the west coast.

Gave the LJ a a interior & exterior cleaning and washing, haven't done so since I took it out of storage in April.. life is busy.

Removed the side rockers as well, to clean up any gunk behind them and between the tub. Tomorrow it's going to get a coat of wax.

Any of you know, if there is any benefit of placing rubber washers where the rockets fasten to the tub to prevent any water etc build up there?

Last edited:
Reactions: RussTJ
Messed up and tried to get in Ripley to go to the local seafood eatery wearing my jeans. Left knee wasn’t having any of that crap and hurt me. Still too swollen for jeans. Easier to get in the Edge than put on my slacks. Had a crab cake dinner. Mmmm.

Reactions: TJ Starting