What did you do to your TJ today?

Been cleaning the engine bay/frame this weekend while my engine is at the machine shop.

Good news/ bad news: I’ll have more time to spend working on TJ because we go on strike Monday. Ugh 🤷‍♂️
We could be on strike or locked out on the 23rd. Our contract was up April 1st, and so far negotiations haven't gone too well for us.

20190915_183526.jpg

Strapped my mag lite to the roll bar with some inexpensive bungies from home depot. Did some other things today I detailed in my build thread.

Took it off-road.
Mild trail from yucca valley to big Bear.

That's a good one, took some buddies in a Tundra and Sequoia through there after the recent thunderstorms. It was fun to play in the mud. Was it dry when you were there? I think it might be fun in the snow. We also did Holcomb Valley road which is just a few miles from the top of Burns Canyon, also a graded road. You don't even have to air up to get there (if you aired down) and it's a great little spur especially if you are heading west out of Big Bear.

Last edited:
Put the windows back in. :( I wasn't going to do it because the news said a "slight" chance of rain, but when I checked my weather app, it said 40% chance at one time, then 50-60% chance at other times of the day tomorrow. It just happened to be the times that my Jeep would be sitting outside in the parking lot at work and then on my drive home. Decided not to take the chance. I'll take the side windows out again, but the rear window will just be rolled up from here on, until next summer. I hate putting that thing back in. LOL

wB8KT18rRFuO9bW%4UVbMg.jpg

That's a good one, took some buddies in a Tundra and Sequoia through there after the recent thunderstorms. It was fun to play in the mud. Was it dry when you were there? I think if might be fun in the snow. We also did Holcomb Valley road which is just a few miles from the top of Burns Canyon, also a graded road. You don't even have to air up to get there (if you aired down) and it's a great little spur especially if you are heading west out of Big Bear.
it was really dry, only one big puddle, but i got to do the whole day with no doors on which was really nice.
let me know if you feel like doing it later!

Reactions: TJ Starting
Made door straps today. Didn't want the doors to swing open as wide as with the stock straps. I used some military type webbing that I had laying around. Couple of hours of sewing, and I am happy with how they turned out.
How much do you charge for a set? Ha ha. Once my Jeep is running again, making new straps is going to be high on the list.

Savvy body lift was delivered yesterday so I put it on today. Probably one of the easier mods I've done so far. A few bolts gave me a bit of a fight, but once I got the big breaker bar out they gave in and none snapped luckily!

Before:
20190816_143212.jpg

After:
20190915_210531.jpg

20190915_200244.jpg

And after I finished the BL I got the engine and transmission finally all set (I hope!) to weld in my engine mounts. That will be happening some evening this week.

Last edited:
So is that axle truss your design?
I wish I could take credit for that. That's a Barnes 4x4 8.8 TJ kit. Just getting it mocked up and hoping to get it burned into place in the next couple weeks. I'm leaving town Friday and was reallllllly hoping to have my build compete by then, but it's looking like my completion date is still 2-3 weeks out.

I wish I could take credit for that. That's a Barnes 4x4 8.8 TJ kit. Just getting it mocked up and hoping to get it burned into place in the next couple weeks. I'm leaving town Friday and was reallllllly hoping to have my build compete by then, but it's looking like my completion date is still 2-3 weeks out.
That's a nice looking truss.

Not much on "Ol Blue" other than finding it goes much nicer at 75mph on the highway than my CJ5 ever dreamed of. But the much over used and abused pancake compressor in my shop finally croaked, so I got a new 20gl tank, belt drive, twin cylinder, cast iron compressor that was on sale at Tractor Supply and got it set up and going yesterday. Now I can run an impact wrench in more than just short bursts without having to wait for the compressor to catch up between them. Looking at other air tools now that I couldn't consider before.

Edit: By the way, that compressor fit right nice in the back of the LJ with the seat folded foward.

Last edited:
Reactions: All 4 Wheelin'
That's a nice looking truss.
It was between this and the Artec truss. From what I could tell they were a lot alike (besides price, the Barnes was about $120 cheaper) but had a hard time finding anyone that had used the Barnes and no reviews on their page. But after find a couple forum guys that had used it and recommended it. I mocked most of it up last week just to see how it all pieced together and it's pretty straight forward. I might even do a how-to thread on it, but don't know if it's even necessary because it all puzzle pieces together.

Reactions: All 4 Wheelin'
It was an easy weekend, took 10 minutes and installed my ATP grab handles. Very impressed with them, they're rock solid and very attractive, and I'm glad I sprung the extra cash for these over the 'grabbars'. Had to take the padding off of my rollbars which I wasn't too thrilled about, but I actually like it better without the padding. Plus, the foam was yellowed and brittle and shed dust, so it was probably time for them to go anyway.

The only negative was that I ordered them from ExtremeTerrain and it took them 4 months to deliver them to me.

IMG_20190916_101400.jpgIMG_20190915_203109.jpg

Shock Relocation Mounts:
20190913_153526.jpg

Finished up savvy CA Install:
20190914_191645.jpg

Tow Hooks, ignore the dirtyness hah:
20190912_163524.jpg

Happy to say driveline vibes are gone! Also, the trans mount made a huge difference, I used to get a pretty heavy vibration over 3k rpm, which I thought was normal, but that is completely gone now! Super smooth now, just have to work on my front end to tighten it up a bit.

Then a shakedown run at Eagle Rock/Saran Wrap. Definitely some of the most gnarly wheeling I've done, but went extremely well. Was the most "stock" looking rig there with the smallest tires, but kept up just fine. actually caught up to the crazy YJs you see below:

20190915_130355.jpg

Snapchat-939550330.jpg

received_523275641754538.jpeg

Last edited: