What did you do to your TJ today?

My Jeep is an 01 Sport 4.0L NV3550 with JK aluminum rims and 32" tires.
Friday I had the Dana 35 upgraded from 3.07 to 3.73 gears and a Detroit Truetrac limited slip installed; need to wait on regearing the front since I am budgeting the monthly expenses.
I am sure I will hear.... "Why not 4.11's" ??
After doing quite a lot of reading; I decided that I will never go to larger tires and the Jeep is primarily a DD with the occasion trail exploration. Prior to the regear with 32' tires and 3.07 gears; the engine RPM's in 5th were 1750 @ 70 mph. Now the engine RPMs are approximately 2250 RPMs at 70 mph.

Did you do it yourself? For some reason I’m getting pushback from installers on the truetrac they want to install the duragrip.

Swapped out the sealed beams for JW Speakers.

IMG_20200405_114750.jpg

Did you do it yourself? For some reason I’m getting pushback from installers on the truetrac they want to install the duragrip.

No... , but I have assisted in doing gear swaps. I do not have the tools or enough space to do the swap.
Why would you choose clutch packs over gear driven ? As far as I know... the gear driven is a stronger design.
The only reason why I can think that the installers would choose the Yukon Duragrip over the Detroit Truetrac is because that is their primary vendor for gears.
Did the installers give you any justification for their pushback?
Maybe other members can further answer your question...

Does doing something stupid count?
My daughter and I were taking the hard top off, I stumbled, fell, and shattered the rear window. Doh!
So now I'm thinking I may just go with a soft top. Rampage makes a frameless top thats about the same price as replacing the back glass (which I'll do before fall anyway).
I'm debating which way to go at the moment.

• Wow
Reactions: All 4 Wheelin'
My daughter and I were taking the hard top off, I stumbled, fell, and shattered the rear window. Doh!
So now I'm thinking I may just go with a soft top. Rampage makes a frameless top thats about the same price as replacing the back glass (which I'll do before fall anyway).

I would decide based on the winter where I lived and whether or not I DD it

No... , but I have assisted in doing gear swaps. I do not have the tools or enough space to do the swap.
Why would you choose clutch packs over gear driven ? As far as I know... the gear driven is a stronger design.
The only reason why I can think that the installers would choose the Yukon Duragrip over the Detroit Truetrac is because that is their primary vendor for gears.
Did the installers give you any justification for their pushback?
Maybe other members can further answer your question...

They said both were the saMe which I do not believe to be true. So instead of arguing I’ll just continue to shop around. We are on lockdown so I have time to call around to find a shop that is more knowledgeable.

maybe the truetrac is harder to install?

C
To bad you're not in California. I have a back glass for a hard top.

Reactions: DrDmoney
Yes, you noticed that. The PO did the frame repair kit and the holes wouldn't line up, so he welded it on one side. I ordered a Barns4wd.com replacement with elongated holes. That will be next weeks post, or the next, whenever it gets here. I got this jeep pretty cheap at $4700, so I knew some issues were waiting. So far I'm still ahead...for now.
My skid plate came in but the longer holes weren't long enough. I had to add 5/8" more. Then it bolted up just fine. I also noticed that it lifted the transmission up an inch or so. Now I have a vibration at idle. This forum says to get a new trans mount. Ordered the Mopar rubber mount today. The rubber engine mounts seem fine. I hope that's the cause and not the slight tummy tuck.
20200404_165554.jpg
20200405_112527.jpg
20200405_122653.jpg
20200405_163235.jpg

They said both were the saMe which I do not believe to be true. So instead of arguing I’ll just continue to shop around. We are on lockdown so I have time to call around to find a shop that is more knowledgeable.

maybe the truetrac is harder to install?

They are not the same... and how could the Truetrac be more difficult.....
Both are built around a carrier... and ride on bearings...
Good idea to shop around...

Reactions: All 4 Wheelin'
Checked the fluid levels and noticed one of the hood latch rubbers is starting to tear. Have been concerned about highway hood flutter for a bit, so guess it's for sure time to replace them.

Drove it to get curbside pickup for dinner. Guy on the phone asked what I was driving. Told him red Jeep. As I was approaching the business, I noticed a red JK/JL parked at the restaurant. Uh oh. Another red Jeep. Hopefully there isn't a mixup on our orders. I pulled around from where the 4 door was parked and rolled my passenger window down in preparation for receiving my order. Young gal came out of the establishment with a pizza and headed towards the 4 door, but also looking my way. After conversing with the 4 door driver, she started heading towards me. Got near the window and she said, "(my name here)?" I said, "Yes. Who knew there'd be 2 red Jeeps!" She said, "I know, right? I won't tell him, but yours is better looking!." I said, "I think so too."

My skid plate came in but the longer holes weren't long enough. I had to add 5/8" more. Then it bolted up just fine. I also noticed that it lifted the transmission up an inch or so. Now I have a vibration at idle. This forum says to get a new trans mount. Ordered the Mopar rubber mount today. The rubber engine mounts seem fine. I hope that's the cause and not the slight tummy tuck.

There is an article online that addresses vibrations caused by the Belly Up Tummy Tuck and Brown Dog Off Road sells a set of 1" engine mounts that are supposed to alleviate the problem.

Brown Dog Off road

Last edited:
Reactions: TominAZ
Finished my regear today. 7hrs on the back a few weeks ago, 8hrs today on the front...

Buy new setup bearings that are the same brand as the ones that come with the kit. There was a ~0.005 difference between the new koyos in the kit and the timkins we took out.
Makes a big difference and a royal PIA when you think you're just about done

Reactions: reddvltj and wyorob
poison spyder hood louver install today. Getting ready for hot humid weather. One pleasant surprise and added benefit of the louvers that I did not expect or hear any talk about. It is more stable at speed. I drive my jeep daily. I could tell the difference in handling within a mile down the road. Not that it drove bad before but it is better now.
I've had that on my 'maybe' list for awhile. Under the hood gets so hot I can't touch the hood prop without gloves on if I've just been driving it 👀

Installed a 1.25" body lift, for no other reason than it gives better access to the frame for preservation work. Some of the rust pictures I've seen- holy moly.

Also raised the drivers seat about an inch. If I can find a long enough 7/16 x 20 bolt I'll raise it another half. So much more comfortable. Best five bucks I've spent on the Jeep so far 😀

IMG_20200405_130244489_HDR.jpg