What did you do to your TJ today?

the 5100s didnt come on the jk from the factory did they ?
Are the front shocks on tj and jk the same as far as mounting goes ?

Nope not original shocks. They happen to be pretty much the exact compressed/extended length I needed. They use the same upper mount, and for the lower mount I just used a bar pin eliminator through the bushing . So essentially it was a bolt on shock.

I think I have the doors aligned okay. They don't close as good as my full doors but they could be okay.

How are the door seals? I’m happy with my APDTY replacements.
I think they are Smittybilt replacement uppers.

Spend some time bending them in/out to get them sitting flush (NOT while in your door) or you will crack the door card. You’ve can also pickup/sell the frames on FB all the time if you’re are that bad.

I'll never run without doors, so I just made sure I had a set of mirrors on both - no need to "mess around with mirrors" that way. I also can't stand buzzy images in the mirrors, which was another reason to stay with the OEM mirrors. They don't buzz.

Good news is these don't 'buzz' at all. Took a few iterations to get them right, but with he short arms and small convex mirrors they work great. I do run doors off, but if I could get the halves to work, I could be okay with putting the OE mirrors back on. The half doors would make more sense since it's my DD and I don't wander far from home doorless for fear of getting caught in bad weather. At least that's the logic I used as I shelled out the cash to refinish them.

Wish there was someone local who I trusted to help get them aligned. So far I have completely avoided scratching anything and I'd like to keep it that way.

Once you can get fit dialed in, you can trim it so about an inch hangs down into the door jamb. Don’t cut it too short or you’ll leak.

Don’t do this…ask me how I know.

1710801354235.jpeg

1710801330690.jpeg

Do you still have the piece you cut off?

You could probably find a piece of hose or foam that will slide up in the seal, use a little rubber glue to hold it all together.

That mistake has long since been recovered from but lives on in my library of expensive lessons learned.

MikeiM:

Don't give up! I think the others are right in that the problem is that your uppers are - and this is a highly technical term - caddywompus. :ROFLMAO:

When I restored mine last summer, I only had lowers. I bought the BullDawg uppers new, which can't bend, and they fit great:

View attachment 510486

I think you just need to either tweak your uppers, or get new ones.

Loving the paint-matched doors and corner armor. And your rock guards look like the fancy pants ones I've seen locally with the steps that drop out when the doors open. :)

• Haha
Reactions: John Cooper
And your rock guards look like the fancy pants ones I've seen locally with the steps that drop out when the doors open. :)

I have old knees (already been under the knife once) and feet and a very short wife, and I’m not getting any younger. I wanted ease of entry, and I was willing to compromise on slider functionality. Most feedback on them here on the forum is that they make bad sliders.

I’ve been waiting for the Savvy sliders to be available again, and I planned to get just the aluminum inners the put them on under them to get wheel well to wheel well coverage to avoid tub damage. However, I feel like Savvy will likely change the design if they do ever make them again, so I’m planning to make my own during my build. The mod list is very long…

Reactions: Kiwi TJ and matkal
I haven’t had to fix the JKU or the Harley all day, so it’s time to show some love to the ol’ gal…
View attachment 510603

Add to this a retorque of the oil pan and valve cover.

FYI I dropped my new Redline oil that had AT-205 for a week because it didn’t fix my leak and I read that it eats plastic (info that’s not on the label).

Heres a link that mentions it…no idea if it’s true but I didn’t want to chance it.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/atp-205-reseal.186961/

Reactions: TheBoogieman
I have old knees (already been under the knife once) and feet and a very short wife, and I’m not getting any younger. I wanted ease of entry, and I was willing to compromise on slider functionality. Most feedback on them here on the forum is that they make bad sliders.

I’ve been waiting for the Savvy sliders to be available again, and I planned to get just the aluminum inners the put them on under them to get wheel well to wheel well coverage to avoid tub damage. However, I feel like Savvy will likely change the design if they do ever make them again, so I’m planning to make my own during my build. The mod list is very long…

I thought they were neat bc I didn’t know they existed.

Iirc, they work off an electromagnet…do they energize off the light circuit when the door opens (NO switch)? Or are they NC and opening the door opens the circuit?

I could see why they aren’t good for taking significant shots in the rocks, but that’s expected. Anyhow I think they are pretty slick and fancy pants wasn’t meant as an insult.

do they energize off the light circuit when the door opens (NO switch)? Or are they NC and opening the door opens the circuit?

There’s a magnetic switch that mounts to the tub and a magnet that mounts on the door. I don’t recall if they are NO or NC.

…fancy pants wasn’t meant as an insult.

I didn’t take it as one. Even if it was, it wouldn’t matter to me. It’s my LJ, not anyone else’s. :giggle:

I haven’t had to fix the JKU or the Harley all day, so it’s time to show some love to the ol’ gal…
View attachment 510603

Add to this a retorque of the oil pan and valve cover.

The ol’ gal should come first. Of course I am still trying to convince the wife the LJR belongs in the garage instead of her JKU. I tell her it’s more rare, but she isn’t buying it so it parks under the carport. Glad the JK hasn’t needed any attention the last few days.

There’s a magnetic switch that mounts to the tub and a magnet that mounts on the door. I don’t recall if they are NO or NC.

I didn’t take it as one. Even if it was, it wouldn’t matter to me. It’s my LJ, not anyone else’s. :giggle:

Exactly, and it’s a sweet one at that. :)

Reactions: sab
If I told you how much money I have in those half doors, it might make sense. It's an embarrassing amount of money...

You don't have to tell me.. I know. The cost of a super clean set of doors + the refinishing + the uppers + the rekey + the interior handles + the springs to hold the lock cylinder + the door cards and refinishing them + new pins for the uppers + OE hardware...

Truth told, I feel a bit fiscally irresponsible about how much I've spent on them. This is a good time of year to sell them and maybe recapture a portion of what I spent...