What did you do to your TJ today?

Not telling you to get one, but a hood louver greatly reduces the flutter if that's still an issue down the road.

Yea I didn’t even think about that but I can see how cutting slots in a kite could help with the aerodynamics lol I could just picture the 27 year old latches giving up the ghost going 65 mph down the interstate lol so far so good with these latches but I haven’t been on the highway yet so we’ll see how that goes.

Yea I didn’t even think about that but I can see how cutting slots in a kite could help with the aerodynamics lol I could just picture the 27 year old latches giving up the ghost going 65 mph down the interstate lol so far so good with these latches but I haven’t been on the highway yet so we’ll see how that goes.

I didn't do it for that, but I've been in some high wind going 80 mph and realized that the flutter isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. One rubber latch was 3/4 torn and the hood barely moved. I've since replaced it with a cheap Dorman latch.

I didn't want the louver look, but I got it anyways to lower the engine bay temps and it's helped a bunch for that. I can hold onto the hood on a hot day without searing my hands.

That said, I'd like to think that you'll be good with the new latches :)

Yahoo found a pair of Bestop half doors on FB Marketplace. Had to drive about 40 minutes, but was worth it. They just need a good washing.

IMG_5561.jpeg

So I didn’t match the paint right

All this work and it’s not matching. I painted these on two different weekends and I have no one to blame but myself here.

The Jeep was already off by color and I wanted to fix that but I can’t get it right.

Idk if I have the energy or motivation to do it all over again or just take it to someone.

For now I’ll sleep on it.

6B2978D5-3C68-40E7-945A-64007B580491.jpeg

All this work and it’s not matching. I painted these on two different weekends and I have no one to blame but myself here.

The Jeep was already off by color and I wanted to fix that but I can’t get it right.

Idk if I have the energy or motivation to do it all over again or just take it to someone.

View attachment 519131

Paint job looks good.

I didn't do it for that, but I've been in some high wind going 80 mph and realized that the flutter isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. One rubber latch was 3/4 torn and the hood barely moved. I've since replaced it with a cheap Dorman latch.

I didn't want the louver look, but I got it anyways to lower the engine bay temps and it's helped a bunch for that. I can hold onto the hood on a hot day without searing my hands.

That said, I'd like to think that you'll be good with the new latches :)
When I bought this TJ it had aftermarket flat fenders and no fender well liners so maybe it gets enough air flow compared to factory fenders. I’ve never had any overheating issues so far. I kind of like the louvre look though and I see those kits aren’t too expensive. What’s involved with the install? Cut a couple holes in the hood and screw or rivet the louvers down to the hood?

View attachment 519131

If you don't have OCD, I'd leave it alone. If you do have OCD, take some meds and leave it. ;) That's a lot of work.
p.s. I need my fenders, grill, and windshield frame painted. The paint shop wanted $850 and said the paint wouldn't match anyway. I'm going to wrap it in 3M vinyl sometime soon.

When I bought this TJ it had aftermarket flat fenders and no fender well liners so maybe it gets enough air flow compared to factory fenders. I’ve never had any overheating issues so far. I kind of like the louvre look though and I see those kits aren’t too expensive. What’s involved with the install? Cut a couple holes in the hood and screw or rivet the louvers down to the hood?

I got the Amazon kit that is basically the poison spider design without the spider, which I prefer over the Genright. Make sure to get the year range correct so you have the correct holes for your windshield washer nozzles. My 05 has a single nozzle in the center, and I think yours has two nozzles.

It comes with a template you remove the two rubber bumpers/snubbers by pulling and using a tiny screwdriver. Use those holes to set the template’s location with two markers or highlighters. From there I used a spring loaded punch to set where the hole sawing takes place. Then draw lines from the apex of each hole and then cut the lines (I used a cutting disc). I then filed and painted the edges.

I believe I then set the louver and then drilled the fastener holes with the louver in place. Remove the louver to clean the metal off and paint the edges of the holes with qtips. The. Tighten things up being careful to not tighten things too much or it will deform sheet metal. I tightened one a big too much and backed it off and all was good.

Note: I used blue masking tape to hold the paper template down but I can’t remember exactly where I put it.

This is something that you can for sure handle.

IMG_2135.jpeg

IMG_2136.jpeg

Last edited:
Checked off quite a few things today, took the day off from work since it was going to be 70 degrees out .

-rebuilt the np231 (new bearings and chain)
-tossed on a new Adams rear driveshaft
-changed the motor oil
-changed diff oil
-did a alignment
-set front and rear pinion angle /caster
-power washed the bedrug carpet
-tossed in a rough country forged track bar due to the high recommendation from Jeep west, replaced the bushings with moog and 14mm hardware

View attachment 519049

Thats a lot to get done in one day!

Checked off quite a few things today, took the day off from work since it was going to be 70 degrees out .

-rebuilt the np231 (new bearings and chain)
-tossed on a new Adams rear driveshaft
-changed the motor oil
-changed diff oil
-did a alignment
-set front and rear pinion angle /caster
-power washed the bedrug carpet
-tossed in a rough country forged track bar due to the high recommendation from Jeep west, replaced the bushings with moog and 14mm hardware

View attachment 519049

If it was a front bar keep an eagle eye on the frame bracket. They like to come loose and give death wobble.

I went from that to a currie with no regrets.

Reactions: Kiwi TJ
Occasionally, I pick up that one spoon with the concave side reversed.

View attachment 519224

If you don't have OCD, I'd leave it alone. If you do have OCD, take some meds and leave it. ;) That's a lot of work.
p.s. I need my fenders, grill, and windshield frame painted. The paint shop wanted $850 and said the paint wouldn't match anyway. I'm going to wrap it in 3M vinyl sometime soon.

I’ve come to far. The more I sleep on it I realize I won’t be satisfied until it’s all the same. That was the first goal in mind.

I’m either gonna re sand the whole Jeep myself and paint again or hire some work. But it’s happening.