What did you do to your TJ today?

When I call my wife from the jeep hands free, she says it sounds terrible with lots of background noise. Hey, it's a jeep I say. What do you expect? 🤣
Seriously though, I try to minimize it's use due to all the racket in the jeep. Music to my ears it may be!😁

My wife said that mine didn't sound all that great until I move the mic. Previously I had it sitting on top of the steering column, but I moved it up to the windshield frame above the rear view mirror. She sign it sounded much better there. I guess I was picking up road noise when it was on the steering column.

If it was a front bar keep an eagle eye on the frame bracket. They like to come loose and give death wobble.

I went from that to a currie with no regrets.

I did a 1" weld on both sides, so hopefully it's going to be fine. I plan on doing a weld on double shear bracket soon anyway.

These guys are coming Friday to take it off and store for the summer, for a fee of course. Maybe they have something like it on the West Coast .

https://hardtophotel.com/

Tired of it taking up room in the garage and dealing with the possibility of breaking the rear window again.

Thats such a cool thing to have but I dont think I have that available in my area but I will keep searching.

My wife said that mine didn't sound all that great until I move the mic. Previously I had it sitting on top of the steering column, but I moved it up to the windshield frame above the rear view mirror. She sign it sounded much better there. I guess I was picking up road noise when it was on the steering column.

Huh. Interesting. Mine is on steering column right now. I'll try your suggestion.

Replaced some wheels studs that Discount Tire mangled not too long ago.

All I can say is that Blaine deserves a halo for fielding my calls and dealing with my anxieties/stupidity on how to remove the Yukon locking hub assembly and pressing out/in the studs. I was not a good mechanic yesterday, but it's all done thanks to his guidance.

I've been a DT customer for nearly 20 years, and have bought literally tons of tires from them. In that time, they've twice cross-threaded lug nuts. Both times, I went back, they said, "yup, our bad" and sent me down the road to a shop they had a contract with to fix them. Of course, in your situation, you may not have wanted someone to touch your TJ. Mine were on simple hubs that weren't complicated like locking hubs.

All I can say is that Blaine deserves a halo for fielding my calls and dealing with my anxieties/stupidity on how to remove the Yukon locking hub assembly and pressing out/in the studs. I was not a good mechanic yesterday, but it's all done thanks to his guidance.

That's the thing about Mr. Blaine. He can really come off as gruff here on the forum (sorry, Mr. Blaine!), but the guy is incredibly generous in sharing his time (does he ever sleep?) and expertise (what has he not done, and done well, with regards to TJ mods?) None of us are perfect, and thick skin is beneficial in most dealings in life...

I've been a DT customer for nearly 20 years, and have bought literally tons of tires from them. In that time, they've twice cross-threaded lug nuts. Both times, I went back, they said, "yup, our bad" and sent me down the road to a shop they had a contract with to fix them. Of course, in your situation, you may not have wanted someone to touch your TJ. Mine were on simple hubs that weren't complicated like locking hubs.

DT's shop manager told me they must be cheap studs since they aren't the original. I knew I wouldn't want them or their affiliates to touch my hubs, so the fight wouldn't be worth my effort, especially with me studying at the time. Sure would have been nice to not do that job but it's done and I now know the insides 100% better than before (silver lining).

If I let DT touch the studs again, I'll request that they install with manual tools only (per that same DT manager's recommendation).

Reactions: TheBoogieman
DT's shop manager told me they must be cheap studs since they aren't the original. I knew I wouldn't want them or their affiliates to touch my hubs, so the fight wouldn't be worth my effort, especially with me studying at the time. Sure would have been nice to not do that job but it's done and I now know the insides 100% better than before (silver lining).

If I let DT touch the studs again, I'll request that they install with manual tools only (per that same DT manager's recommendation).

I had a shop do that to three different vehicles of mine. They blamed me every time. Last time, I told the manager it's not me, it's the idiots you hire that put the lug nuts on the impact wrench first, then stick it on the wheel stud. :rolleyes:

DT's shop manager told me they must be cheap studs since they aren't the original.

Cop out.

I knew I wouldn't want them or their affiliates to touch my hubs

Good practice these days!

...the fight wouldn't be worth my effort, especially with me studying at the time. Sure would have been nice to not do that job but it's done and I now know the insides 100% better than before (silver lining).

Silver linings are always nice!

I had a shop do that to three different vehicles of mine. They blamed me every time. Last time, I told the manager it's not me, it's the idiots you hire that put the lug nuts on the impact wrench first, then stick it on the wheel stud. :rolleyes:

Bingo!

Everyone knows that's an absolute NO NO. They're either lazy or trying to save time.

That's the thing about Mr. Blaine. He can really come off as gruff here on the forum (sorry, Mr. Blaine!), but the guy is incredibly generous in sharing his time (does he ever sleep?) and expertise (what has he not done, and done well, with regards to TJ mods?) None of us are perfect, and thick skin is beneficial in most dealings in life...

Well, that's what happens when (a) someone has a very low tolerance for stupidity, and (b) experience and know-how are perceived as arrogance.
And yep, I'm not perfect. I screw up daily.

As for their claim of bad wheel studs, that all depends. The possibility does exist that Yukon shoved some of their shit studs in there. They already screwed him once with the spindle nut washer and this is a level of brilliance that shouldn't exist.
They "improved" the one from Spicer that they copied by centering the hole pattern on the tang so no matter which way you flip it, you are no closer to lining up on the peg on the inner nut.
1713466866041.png

Spicer has them offset so that after you set the inner nut to the correct torque, you only have to move it a small amount by checking and then flipping it over if needs be.
1713467024404.png

You are welcome, as always. That and it is easier to spend a few hours on the phone than to deal with the aftermath of catastrophic failure.

PXL_20240418_190434849~2.jpg

They're either lazy or trying to save time.

Exactly. I only went there because they had oil changes for $19.95, which included topping off fluids, checking the brakes and rotating the tires. I stopped going after getting into an argument with the manager and calling him some choice names.