What did you do to your TJ today?

I was installing a CB in my Wife’s JK and realized I forgot to order the stud for the antenna mount. So, I headed over to the truck stop to pick one up.

While I was there, I saw this little external speaker for under $10. So, popped it in and now I can actually hear my radio at highway speed.

3626582B-3DF8-4EE4-8910-45497146260B.jpeg

Flushed the heater core on my 97, wow, she heats up great now. This is the DIY setup I used. Less than 10 bucks. :) The little plastic pump gizmo I found in the Ace Hardware discount bin. :)

A 5 minute soak with a 50/50 water vinegar mix then flush to clean.
The clear hose let me see the vinegar (mild acid) foam up and dissolve 20+ years of gunk
20190126_104508.jpg

Last edited:
Finally got back to putting the receiver hitch on. Or at least attempting to. The two bottom bumper bolts twisted off rather than playing nice. And then the titanium drill bit I was using as the first step in the drilling them out wouldn't hardly scratch them. Just welding the the thing onto the frame is starting to look like a better idea.

Yeah, it's been one of those days.

Changed the oil/filter, and plug wires. What should have been a simple 30 minute job turned into a 4 hour job and had to wait for hubby to get home to help. UGGHHH. Note to self, make sure you have the right tools for the job.

I didn't have a filter wrench so I decided to use a gigantic pair of water pump pliers. It worked, but, that is when the trouble started. I accidentally hit the oil dipstick with the pliers and it snapped the end off. I tried to get it out with a pair of needle nose pliers, but that just sent it down the tube more. So, time to pull the tube. No big deal, just take the bolt out that holds it to the motor and pull it out. Nope, the nut and bolt turned at the same time. the end of a bolt looked like a torx head, so in thought, one could just use a small 6 or 12 point socket to hold the bolt still. That didn't work, just stripped the head of it. Tried vise grips and still didn't get it. Finally I had to hold the nut with the wrench while hubby took a hammer and big screw driver and hit on the wires (the ends that have the big metal things on them). That finally got the nut to loosen up. Got it off finally and I got everything else put back tighter, then decided to jump in my VW bus and go get a new dipstick before I added the oil. Well, I don't drive it as much because of getting the jeep and the battery was dead. So, I put 5 and half quarts of oil in the Jeep, wire tied the end of the old dipstick in the hole and drove to the parts store to get dipstick. Got home checked the oil and need to add the rest of the last quart. Now the oil cap won't come off. Just clicks. Ugghhh. LOL

I read that this is common and some have had good luck with just letting the engine cool. So I am now waiting on that. I sure hope I don't need oil when on a road trip. Hate to have to wait hours to add a little. LOL

Oh, not to mention that my nice Craftsman socket wrench ( that is in a really nice set) fell off the fender and went into a million pieces. LOL Not my day.

0bNLb1%aTDKEPLLTeziZMg.jpg

FzxESMHjSniCCoHrfTnNBw.jpg

Flushed the heater core on my 97, wow, she heats up great now. This is the DIY setup I used. Less than 10 bucks. :) The little plastic pump gizmo I found in the Ace Hardware discount bin. :)

A 5 minute soak with a 50/50 water vinegar mix then flush to clean.
The clear hose let me see the vinegar (mild acid) foam up and dissolve 20+ years of gunk
View attachment 74352

I think I need to do this. My heater works, but seems like it takes a while to actually get warm.

Reactions: KCsTJ
I personally went to an adjustable bar that was made for my 4 inch lift and got ride of the bracket. I believe it was a rough country track bar also. It was an easy install. Seems like there is always something that can be done or that we have to do but that is part of the fun!!!
I may do that, I have an adjustable bar but I need the axle 1/2" to the passenger side to be centered. The TB is threaded all the way in without anymore adjustment.

Reactions: Paparock1
I may do that, I have an adjustable bar but I need the axle 1/2" to the passenger side to be centered. The TB is threaded all the way in without anymore adjustment.
Im confused... you make it longer to go to the passenger side. Do you mean drivers side?

I think I need to do this. My heater works, but seems like it takes a while to actually get warm.
Yep this works like a charm on jeeps with lousy heat. my heat was barely warm.
You don't need the little pump gizmo really.
Flush both directions with a water hose a couple minutes. Then use the water/vinegar mix , 5 minutes soak in the heater core was arbitrary, and then flush again to finish up. Blow out tap water, from heater core, and you are done. Button up, add antifreeze and u have a nice warm TJ again! :)

Reactions: KimsJeep
Oh wow they look good! Any flickering issues? Did you have to buy anti flicker? No back space issue?

Nope. Plug and play.

The only thing I had to do was adjust the beam so I wouldn’t blind oncoming traffic. Expecting that already, I just parked facing a wall, turned on my factory lights and put a piece of electrical tape where the center of each light shined, installed the new lights, and adjusted them to the same spot on the wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep this works like a charm on jeeps with lousy heat. my heat was barely warm.
You don't need the little pump gizmo really.
Flush both directions with a water hose a couple minutes. Then use the water/vinegar mix , 5 minutes soak in the heater core was arbitrary, and then flush again to finish up. Blow out tap water, flush it from heater core and you are done. Button up add antifreeze and u have a nice warm TJ again! :)

Cool thanks for the info. I may give it a go myself now. I was going to see if my radiator repair friend could do it for me, but it would be fast for me to do it. :D

Question though, how do I get the water/vinegar mixture in the core? I can figure out how to just actually flush with water, but don't see how to make the mixture go in. Would I hook a hose to to it and use a funnel raised in the air higher then the core to get it to go in?

Reactions: KCsTJ
Im confused... you make it longer to go to the passenger side. Do you mean drivers side?
Dude...I'm having a moment.. so I need the axle to move towards the passenger side. So if i make it longer that should push the axle towards the driver side, because its lengths the distance between the mounts...right?
The upper mount is on passenger side, axle mount under driver side.

Nope. Plug and play.

The only thing I had to do was adjust the beam so I wouldn’t blind oncoming traffic. Expecting that already, I just parked facing a wall, turned on my factory lights and put a piece of electrical tape where the center of each light shined, installed the new lights, and adjusted them to the same spot on the wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing. I was kind of avoiding these types of lights as I have read the issues and having to add extra stuff to make them work right. I have added them to my wish list. :D

Reactions: zip04
Cool thanks for the info. I may give it a go myself now. I was going to see if my radiator repair friend could do it for me, but it would be fast for me to do it. :D

Question though, how do I get the water/vinegar mixture in the core? I can figure out how to just actually flush with water, but don't see how to make the mixture go in. Would I hook a hose to to it and use a funnel raised in the air higher then the core to get it to go in?
Yes, that'll work. I just put the water/vinegar in a quart container and poured it in through one of the short hoses I was using.

Edit: it won't hold a quart, a half quart is plenty to fill the heater core.

Last edited:
Changed the oil/filter, and plug wires. What should have been a simple 30 minute job turned into a 4 hour job and had to wait for hubby to get home to help. UGGHHH. Note to self, make sure you have the right tools for the job.

I didn't have a filter wrench so I decided to use a gigantic pair of water pump pliers. It worked, but, that is when the trouble started. I accidentally hit the oil dipstick with the pliers and it snapped the end off. I tried to get it out with a pair of needle nose pliers, but that just sent it down the tube more. So, time to pull the tube. No big deal, just take the bolt out that holds it to the motor and pull it out. Nope, the nut and bolt turned at the same time. the end of a bolt looked like a torx head, so in thought, one could just use a small 6 or 12 point socket to hold the bolt still. That didn't work, just stripped the head of it. Tried vise grips and still didn't get it. Finally I had to hold the nut with the wrench while hubby took a hammer and big screw driver and hit on the wires (the ends that have the big metal things on them). That finally got the nut to loosen up. Got it off finally and I got everything else put back tighter, then decided to jump in my VW bus and go get a new dipstick before I added the oil. Well, I don't drive it as much because of getting the jeep and the battery was dead. So, I put 5 and half quarts of oil in the Jeep, wire tied the end of the old dipstick in the hole and drove to the parts store to get dipstick. Got home checked the oil and need to add the rest of the last quart. Now the oil cap won't come off. Just clicks. Ugghhh. LOL

I read that this is common and some have had good luck with just letting the engine cool. So I am now waiting on that. I sure hope I don't need oil when on a road trip. Hate to have to wait hours to add a little. LOL

Oh, not to mention that my nice Craftsman socket wrench ( that is in a really nice set) fell off the fender and went into a million pieces. LOL Not my day.

View attachment 74362

View attachment 74363

You too huh? I'm hoping for a better day out in shop tomorrow.

Dude...I'm having a moment.. so I need the axle to move towards the passenger side. So if i make it longer that should push the axle towards the driver side, because its lengths the distance between the mounts...right?
The upper mount is on passenger side, axle mount under driver side.
Do you have a right hand drive?