What did you do to your TJ today?

Installed a Homelink transmitter in my TJ's dash. Bought the transmitter off Ebay and powered it from the radio circuit with a fuse tap so it only works in the ACC or RUN key positions. Blends in very well.

I have been wanting to do this as well. Do you have a pic of the backside, how it mounts?

I dont have a pic of the back. I dont know what car the remote came out of but here is a pic of the entire unit as I purchased it.

They are pretty common on eBay. The front bezel pops off. I used hot glue to glue the unit to the back and cut a hole in the trim piece for the buttons to go through. I used my dremel to keep making the hole big enough to fit all the important pieces through without being so large the hole can be seen with the bezel installed. Wish I would have taken better pics of the process for sure. I also hot glued the front bezel on.

Last edited:
Switched out 2 of my 4 O2 sensors last night. The bank 1 sensor 2 sensor put up a good fight and called it quits on that one after 30 minutes and 1 broken bit. Will come back at it tomorrow with a bigger wrench I think.

Reactions: mikespine
got the sub and side steps in today.they were waiting for me when i got home.

with the sub speaker everything needed trimming exactly like i expected, but i reused part of the old speaker to sandwich the new one since the mounting holes didn't line up. i used a dremel cutoff wheel then smoothed the edges

after i put everything back together i only ended up with one extra screw. i'll take that as a win

then i did the side steps. i really liked the oem ones so that's what i went for

Got to spend a couple of hours quality time in the shop with "ol' Blue". I managed to get a better look at the twisted off lower bumper bolt that I hadn't got a good look at yet and the way it sheared down in the bolt hole with a very uneven surface that I can't get at to smooth off, I decided to quit trying to drill the darn things out. I got the hitch receiver mounted up with just the two front bolts and replaced the grade 5 bolts that came with the hitch with grade 8 and tightened the heck out of 'em. I didn't have time to prep and weld the rear of the receiver to the frame where the twisted off bolts are, but I did figure out how & where I need to weld it up. Sometimes, just figuring which fork in the road to take is progress of a sort.

Almost forgot. While i was pondering the hitch thing, I kept busy by rattlecanning the stock rear bumper. Put a couple coats of Rustoleum bed liner spray on the top of it and went hammered black on the rest. That way it all has some kind of texture. This was after I did some trimming with a cutting disc to remove the brackets for the twisted off bolts so it'll fit back up with hitch and still bolt to the frame. The lower tabs the buckets bolt to were "accidental" casualties in the process. Darn shame those buckets probably won't make it back on the Jeep.

Last edited:
An amusing day, before I continue doing things I wanted to try and get rid of some of this (Michigan) rust...yea I said it! Tried Evaporust and it’s not bad. Looks a little suspicious, like it could be made at home. 😁 Really bad at remembering to take ‘before’ and ‘after’ pics but here’s an after. Trust me, it was worse. Didn’t do Track Bar as it’s replaced as of tomorrow.

View attachment 82048

View attachment 82049
What is this magic elixir you speak of...? I live in Minnesota, so, you can imagine myself and rust are close companions.