What did you do to your TJ today?

Didn't have a particularly good day with mine. I took it out for a test run after topping off the coolant level that had fallen from the expected air bubble after changing it yesterday. That was fine. What wasn't fine was that I left my Sony DSLR on the front bumper...

I *think* all I need to do is replace the battery compartment door, I need to put it through its paces tomorrow to figure out if its fixable or not.
Well, no such luck. I first tried the camera and it worked fine, then after several shots, it started failing. $300 cost to repair, so I "repaired" it for $68 by buying a slightly newer model used, that has supposedly been tested, blah, blah, blah. We'll see.

EDIT: Not so bad after all. Not only did I get the slightly newer model for cheap, but I found out what was ailing the original body - a chunk of plastic from the broken lens was jamming up the works. It now works splendidly save for the missing battery compartment door. I'll be ordering either a door or an entire parts camera ($26), and I'll have two bodies this way.

Last edited:
I got out the cheap wireless snake camera and took a look inside the frame.

I'll need to look at more areas after it fully charges, but the front near the garage plug in looked good.

15970984541757312823816795006019.jpg
20200810162423.jpg

I got out the cheap wireless snake camera and took a look inside the frame.

I'll need to look at more areas after it fully charges, but the front near the garage plug in looked good.

View attachment 182855View attachment 182856
Yup, that bit looks pretty darn clean, though I think I might spy a couple of reddish bit here and there that need to be ANNIHILATED!

Now you can lift your Jeep off of its side and back onto it wheels again. (y) :LOL:

So I added wireless steering wheel controls from Amazon today since this uses a touch screen slider for volume control. That’s probably the only knock I have on the unit... It's almost unusable while driving... But this fixed it. I just used the volume one and mounted it on the back side of the steering wheel.

I also adjusted the screen up one setting and it looks better. Even though it’s above center, now when I’m looking down at it, it isn’t blocking the view of the HVAC controls anymore. I had to remove the trim that hides the mounting brackets and ribbon cable, but it's tight enough to the dash/single-DIN adapter that you can't really see them anyway, so I'm fine with it.

Now I just need it to connect to my OBDII scanner to use torque and I’ll be all set.

View attachment 182470

View attachment 182471
How do you plan to use Torque? Is it compatible with Car Play?

Finally got some spare keys. I've been rolling with just one (original) key ever since I got the Jeep 9 months ago. I had the locksmith program only one of the spares ($40). I followed the process outlined in the owner's manual to program the third key myself when I got back home.

20200811123226392.jpg

How do you plan to use Torque? Is it compatible with Car Play?

I downloaded the app through the Google Play store in the head unit since it runs Android. I read there’s some creative steps to get it to play nicely with the BT OBDII reader. Just haven’t gotten to it.

I did the 5.25” Kicker CS front speakers in the Select Increments pods last week, and I got the 6.5” Kicker CS speakers and some poly fill for the rears installed today after work.

Project "Sapphire in the rough" has officially commenced, I'll do a build thread and hopefully my kid will take over since it is his TJ, he has an account but only lurks.
He scored a smokin' deal on a Rubi, it was a farm jeep. Most of it's life was spent in GA, and most recently in NC.
Posted his '98 2.5 up yesterday and looks like we may have a local buyer...anyway, the dirt on the new one er um, red NC clay:

IMG_1084.jpg

IMG_1083.jpg

IMG_1082.jpg

IMG_1081.jpg

IMG_1087.jpg

IMG_1088.jpg

Wait! WHAT?! those seats are black???!!!

Edit: He took everything off his old TJ that he wants to keep, bumpers, stereo, tires, wheels, shocks...
And so far we've only found nine live rounds of 22LR and 9mm hollows....and a knife blank and some firecrackers under the carpet :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Project "Sapphire in the raw" has officially commenced, I'll do a build thread and hopefully my kid will take over since it is his TJ, he has an account but only lurks.
He scored a smokin' deal on a Rubi, it was a farm jeep. Most of it's life was spent in GA, and most recently in NC.
Posted his '98 2.5 up yesterday and looks like we may have a local buyer...anyway, the dirt on the new one er um, red NC clay:

View attachment 183136

View attachment 183137

View attachment 183138

View attachment 183139

View attachment 183140

View attachment 183141

Wait! WHAT?! those seats are black???!!!

Edit: He took everything off his old TJ that he wants to keep, bumpers, stereo, tires, wheels, shocks...
And so far we've only found nine live rounds of 22LR and 9mm hollows....and a knife blank and some firecrackers under the carpet :ROFLMAO:
I also found a lot of 22LR rounds under my carpet after I bought it, must be a Jeep thing lol

Added a Missile Launch** switch to the knee bolster.

**Garage Door Open

May do a DIY writeup on it if people think it might be worthwhile. Sure is nice compared to constantly forgetting to retrieve my opener from a locked console.

20200811_195829.jpg

Cannot play my music right now as the stock head unit has a broken CD player which ate one of my CDs...

Google “auxiliary stereo input hack”.
I’ve done this on an 2005 Mazda. I soldered on the L/R cd outputs. Just burn a “music“ cd with no sound.

Should be similar on the Jeep HU. Maybe easier if you have a tape deck

Reactions: TJ Hunnicutt
Google “auxiliary stereo input hack”.
I’ve done this on an 2005 Mazda. I soldered on the L/R cd outputs. Just burn a “music“ cd with no sound.

Should be similar on the Jeep HU. Maybe easier if you have a tape deck
Nope, that wouldn't do me any good whatsoever. I need USB "Geek stick" input, AUX doesn't do anything for me. I'm dumping the stock unit for a single DIN mechless AM/FM/USB unit in a Metra double DIN bezel. The other single DIN will be the CB radio. Should be later this month.

Awhile ago I bought a direct plug-n-play pyle sub (~$20) off Amazon. Well 8 months later it died.
So instead of making that mistake again I picked up the well renowned 6.75” kicker shallow and modified (cut) the center enclosure. I dusted off my vintage Fulton “200w” 2ch bridgeable. Amazingly after 20 years on the shelf, it still bumps. Woohoo.
Maybe next project is to make an MDF box and sneak it in the center console. Who knows.
93F1FCF7-1972-4A72-A3AD-AD426A99C63B.jpeg9340CAA2-DCC2-4111-AA6B-EA28B0F212CB.jpeg8565262F-41A8-48A2-A72C-65495B6B03B7.jpegFD45F3B7-F045-43E5-91F2-06A27496BFD9.jpeg