What do I have to modify to get the fog lights to stay on with the headlights?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Ride of the Month Winner
Like the title says, what do I have to modify in order to get the fog lights to stay on with the headlights, including the high beams.

Right now when you turn on the fog lights and then turn on the headlights (low beams), the fog lights turn off. This is of course very annoying.

Copied from this site:

http://tmar.net/fog_lights.htm
2001 - 2006 Jeep Wrangler: The Jeep Wrangler TJ factory setup, as with most vehicles, turns off the fog lights when the high beam headlights are turned on. To have the fog lights stay on with the high-beam headlights on the 2001 - 2006 TJ Wrangler, follow these instructions: Find the #35 fog lamp relay inside the main fuse box, which is on the passenger side of the engine, under the hood. The relay is clearly marked on a diagram on the inside cover of the main fuse box.

F533BC0C-0FB7-4048-BAAB-192FA2A1EB9E.jpeg
9D6E9CBB-B22C-428F-8454-DA35FCA96760.png

Pull the relay straight up and out of the socket. Carefully and slowly bend the #1 pin (it's marked) 180 degrees around to the side of the plastic relay, so it will not make contact with its female socket when the relay is re-inserted. Re-insert the relay and you're done. You can now turn on the fogs with either low beam or high beam headlights.

Yep, I thought that was odd. The fog lights go off with the low beams and high beams.

Checking your profile, I see you have a 2006. I have a 2005 and have had to take my multi-function switch apart a couple of times over the years to fix the fog light function. Maybe one of the little plastic tangs has broken off inside yours. Or maybe there is something wonky with that relay just mentioned. Have never actually come across this, sorry I can't be of more help.

Reactions: Chris
Double check your headlight wiring is ok. I had issues with my fogs due to burnt out wiring going into my headlights when I bought the Jeep. I think the PO installed higher wattage halogen bulbs which caused the wiring to burn up near the lights.

They're supposed to stay on with low beams and switch off on high.

Even that never made sense to me though, high beams = all the light I can get, so why not leave them on?

Might have to do that mod myself.

Reactions: tr21triton
They're supposed to stay on with low beams and switch off on high.

Even that never made sense to me though, high beams = all the light I can get, so why not leave them on?

Might have to do that mod myself.
You made me google... briefly... :) Came up with this which I found interesting.

Partnering with the Michigan State Police, the Petoskey News-Review and Gaylord Herald Times editorial department will forward your questions to Lt. Derrick Carroll, assistant post commander of the state police’s Gaylord post, as part of our “Ask a Trooper” series. If there is a question you’d like answered, please send it by email to [email protected] or [email protected].
Terry from Charlevoix asked: “A friend and I were talking about fog lights on vehicles. She said it is illegal to have them on when there is no fog. It bothered her that people were driving around with their fog lights on for no apparent reason. I didn’t think there was a law saying you couldn’t have them on when it wasn’t foggy. Who is right?”
Carroll's answer: "The short answer is you are right, Terry. There is no language in the Motor Vehicle Code that says it must be foggy or other adverse weather conditions present to drive with the fog lights activated. This is covered in Section 257.696 of the Motor Vehicle Code. Section 257.685 (5) covers headlights and the total number of lamps that may be activated at one time. If you notice on your vehicle, when you activate your high beams while the fog lamps are activated, the fog lamps are automatically turned off. When you turn off the high beams, the fog lights come back on. This is because the high beams are usually enhanced by an additional bulb being activated within the headlight housing. When it is activated, you have four lamps operating. If the fog lamps remained on, you would have a total of 6 lamps displayed, which is illegal.
Motor vehicle code: 257.696 Spot lamps; fog lamps.

https://www.petoskeynews.com/gaylor...f the,activated within the headlight housing.

Copied from this site:

2001 - 2006 Jeep Wrangler: The Jeep Wrangler TJ factory setup, as with most vehicles, turns off the fog lights when the high beam headlights are turned on. To have the fog lights stay on with the high-beam headlights on the 2001 - 2006 TJ Wrangler, follow these instructions: Find the #35 fog lamp relay inside the main fuse box, which is on the passenger side of the engine, under the hood. The relay is clearly marked on a diagram on the inside cover of the main fuse box.

View attachment 198092
View attachment 198093

Pull the relay straight up and out of the socket. Carefully and slowly bend the #1 pin (it's marked) 180 degrees around to the side of the plastic relay, so it will not make contact with its female socket when the relay is re-inserted. Re-insert the relay and you're done. You can now turn on the fogs with either low beam or high beam headlights.
I love those free mods!

Yep, was out in the garage putting a lubelocker gasket in the front diff, so while the oil was draining, did the mod...super simple (and reversible)...thanks!

Copied from this site:

View attachment 198092
View attachment 198093

I did this. Very nice. I want to be able to control what lights are on and what are not. Wish I could make my 2015 GMC do that.

The easiest way to do this that doesn’t snip, modify or bend anything is to slip a bit of cardboard between the coil and the actuator plate (correct term?) in the relay. What to undo it? Just pull the cardboard out.

Reactions: N757KF and Chris
The Napa Auto part # is AR606. I just went to my local Napa Auto, bought the relay, cut of the appropriate tang, and kept the factory relay in the glove box as a spare.

Reactions: txbemis69 and Chris
When it is activated, you have four lamps operating. If the fog lamps remained on, you would have a total of 6 lamps displayed, which is illegal.

LoL

Rather outdated law with dozens if not hundreds of LEDs on most current models.

My '08 WK also turns off the fog lights when you turn in high beams. But the high and low beams are totally separate on that model, lows turn off when you switch to high.

Reactions: Chris
I generally don't use fog lights when using high beams or spot lights. The fog lights, when set up as proper fog lights, tend to wash out the field of view by illuminating the road close to the car. So it actually negatively impacts your long range vision.

There are a few certain cases when it is helpful, like on remote highways where you need to watch for moose/bears/deer both ahead of you and off to the sides. But for average highway driving, fog lights reduce long-distance visibility.

If the fog lights aren't actually fog lights or are aimed far too high for use as fog lights, then they can sometimes be helpful at a distance. But in that case it's better to get a driving or flood light pattern.

The easiest way to bypass the automatic switch is to clip the relay pin. Keep a spare relay in case you get asked to correct it.

Reactions: psrivats
Copied from this site:

View attachment 198092

View attachment 198093

Thank You!!!